News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Whats your view on 1800s

Started by Svein8, December 29, 2020, 12:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 31, 2020, 04:31:08 AM
It is horrifying. I think, because as a period it is in the limits of the undstrial revolution(s), when most people look at those paintings, they don't realise that everything in those paintings is hand made by countless people who lived in horrible conditions, virtually with no rights, spent their lives serving/living for a handful of people. Their most valuable currency is loyalty, and pleasing the self-entitled scum.

Most people love those paintings and period movies only for that specific visual trait. I guess they think they are pretty, exotic? I used to tell students to watch the movie Vatel -I think the most suitable one in this context, regardless of the period it takes on- and keep it in mind that it is not just food and party tricks for a king's weekend to gain benefits and rights, but every fucking piece of material they see in those 'scenes' represents some sort of slavery, oppression from the smallest landlord and landlady to the top; and all that really ended just a little while back around the corner. The bourgeois wasn't different a bit either.

The Past is evil, the Present is Revolutionary, the Future is utopia (paraphrasing Karl Marx)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on December 31, 2020, 11:21:57 AM
Pretty much that all the horrible shit humans did to each other “over there” we continued doing “over here”. But with more pride.

Yes, America should feel shame for even existing ;-)  Death to America!

Yes, the political-economy is pretty much the same everywhere, every-when.  There is no free lunch.  There are people over you.  And they say, "Get back to work or we will kill you".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on December 31, 2020, 08:58:25 AM
My view is horrifying.  We were slave owners, and when we got done with that, we went to war with each other in what has been one of our bloodiest conflicts, and after that, we sent the Army to the west to eradicate the indigenous peoples in a bloody extermination that made the later Nazis seem like humanitarians. 

But what is the most horrifying at my age, is realizing it was practically yesterday.  I was born in 1943 and my birth was only 70 years later than the worst of the atrocities of the 1800s, and when I was born, the Nazis had already incinerated Jews and protestors by the millions.  But the 1800s seemed like a bygone era when I was 10, even though most television shows were still exulting cowboys with kerosene lamps.  And today I'm farther from my birth that my birth was from General Custer's death by the Indians at the Little Big Horn River.  And it got bloodier still after that.  So today I realize we are better, but not enough time has passed that I know what is now is going to continue.  We may just be living in a sweet spot that isn't going to last.  That's scary.  But how can that be?  We have malls, and we go shopping, and Amazon sends us things we get with a credit card payment.

20,000 girls, around 14, currently sex slaves.  So great that Lincoln, Vampire Slayer, saved us all.  Drug slavery, wage slavery etc are un-diminished.  You are materially better, you have a gold plated bird cage, compared to your great-grandparents.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on December 31, 2020, 08:58:25 AM
... But what is the most horrifying at my age, is realizing it was practically yesterday.  I was born in 1943 and my birth was only 70 years later than the worst of the atrocities of the 1800s, and when I was born, the Nazis had already incinerated Jews and protestors by the millions.  But the 1800s seemed like a bygone era when I was 10, even though most television shows were still exulting cowboys with kerosene lamps.  And today I'm farther from my birth that my birth was from General Custer's death by the Indians at the Little Big Horn River.  ...
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Isn't aging wonderful?  When I was a boy, Cowboy TV shows and movies, WW II TV shows and movies ... an America I could believe in.  Today America is a flaming sack of shit.  Progress?

Of course if "you" are a flaming sack of shit, then today looks fine.  But something is rotten in Denmark etc.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Shiranu on December 31, 2020, 04:39:06 AM
Can't help but find this post ironic since you seem to simp for aristocrats who would return society to the peasant-life of the early 1800s.

Your posts would be more interesting if you knew what you were talking about.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Baruch

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on December 31, 2020, 03:32:57 PM

Are you older than him?  More mature?  Post more so I can see ;-))  I think you have potential.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on December 31, 2020, 03:32:57 PM

And yours would be far less interesting if you did.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on January 01, 2021, 12:56:52 AM
And yours would be far less interesting if you did.

You and him, go fight! - MSM
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.