News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Not a political crisis?????

Started by Mike Cl, December 19, 2020, 10:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

I find it amusing that people fond of calling other people snowflakes become a regular snowfall of flakes whining about how other people are snow flakes.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on January 11, 2021, 08:35:03 PMIf yall legitimately believe he had even the remotest intention of actually debating anything instead of just flaming then I will bump it down to a suspension rather than a ban and give him a second chance.
I did ask him a rather open-ended question about Pence and he seems to have ignored that in favor of going on a flame spree and then ragequitting.  And for someone who doesn't like discussing politics, he sure seems to wander into the politics section a lot.  This is far from the first time he's been told to stay out of the kitchen if he can't take the heat.  So the prognosis isn't good, but I suppose it's best to find out for sure.

I do find the assertion funny that we're creating an echo chamber when:
A) there's lots of disagreement about tons of stuff, but it's usually minor things and it's usually pretty cordial (I dunno if I really consider it a loss that needs to be remedied if everyone here is pro-democracy lol)
B) the people out there who subscribe to fringe ideologies - and this stuff truly is fringe if you think about it - and the ability to participate in a discussion as an adult seem to be mutually-opposed.  Not just here, but there seems to be a flight to various fringe-friendly platforms where they can strut their stuff unbothered by reality.  So it's little wonder the conversation gets one-sided.  Add the typical dispositions of a community of atheists, and well...

Mike Cl

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 11, 2021, 07:41:58 PM
I don't know... Weren't we just saying how we DIDN'T want to build an echo chamber?
Did you read anything the guy wrote that lead you to believe he wanted to do anything but bash people and to enrage them.  He did not seem to have even an iota of an idea to communicate--simply bash.  There wasn't enough depth there to have an echo chamber.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Shiranu on January 11, 2021, 08:35:03 PM
If yall legitimately believe he had even the remotest intention of actually debating anything instead of just flaming ...

No.

QuoteAnd I don't believe posters like him would prevent this forum from becoming an echo chamber since he seemed to lack an actual position, just anger and insults.

Yes.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on January 11, 2021, 08:35:03 PM
And I don't believe posters like him would prevent this forum from becoming an echo chamber since he seemed to lack an actual position, just anger and insults.
But then instead of an echo chamber, we would have a chamber of anger and insults.

Mike Cl

I hate it that my society keeps rubbing my nose in the fact that I was very naive about things of race in this country.  Oh, I was aware of racism (I was introduced to it in the separate-but-equal era in Alabama) in my country.  I simply did not realize just how deep it ran, and how it figured into almost every aspect of our society.  Now we are faced with an armed and organized insurrection, led and inspired by our president and his toadies.  More of our military and police forces are in support of that insurrection than I had realized.  The capitol invasion proved that.  I am deeply afraid that there will be major bloodshed in the next week.  I am beginning to regret not having at least a couple of pistols on hand.  I am lucky enough that I have lived a good life--nothing can take that away.  But I fear for my children and grandchildren.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

I never talk religion or politics out here in meatspace, only on line. Not a lot of Trumpanistas in my area, but better safe than sorry.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Those Trumpublicans who fail to go through a metal detector at the Capitol will be fined $5000!

Go Nancy!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman