News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is Christianity Under Attack?

Started by EchoSider, February 19, 2013, 09:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EchoSider

It seems like whenever Christians are cut off from trying to preach to everyone they think they're being oppressed.  Maybe they are.  I don't think so, but that's just me.  In the latest manufactured outrage Fox News would like you to believe that NBC hates Jesus because an interviewer cut off a girl from quoting the bible during an interview about that cruise ship that got stuck.  (Link Below)

I wasn't sure what to think just reading the story, but  then I actually watched the clip and he did in fact cut her off as she was about to quote the bible, but from my perspective she was suddenly trying to hijack the interview for proselytization purposes.

The people commenting on the story are calling for boycotts of NBC and their sponsors and praying for the reporter to find "Him" before it's to late, etc.   There doesn't seem to be any dissenting opinions just yet, so if you'd like to educate some people or to have a little fun you might want to head over there and say whats-up.

At any rate, is there a war on religion, because it seems more like there's a war by religion on everyone who doesn't believe what they do.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/to ... verse.html

SGOS

OK, I watched the video in question.  The two valley girls got their 15 seconds of fame and then some.  Should the reporter have allowed them to go on about their love for god?  He could have, I suppose.  I don't see that he was obligated, though.  He was obviously looking for comments about conditions on the ship.  

The Christian majority cries foul too much, and so does Fox News.  For the most part, the interview was just a non-event:  "How did you manage?"  "Oh, fine.  Bla Bla"  "OK, it's back to you, Joe."  

No need to make a Federal case over it.

Mathias

Quote from: "EchoSider"At any rate, is there a war on religion, because it seems more like there's a war by religion on everyone who doesn't believe what they do.

Whenever there was war between religions. Most often it is used as a scapegoat for economic and political reasons, but we can not forget that "love your neighbor as yourself" was spoken exclusively to Jews and inconscientemente (or not) seems that everyone understands this message, ie love only if he believes in the same god.
"There is no logic in the existence of any god".
Myself.

NonXNonExX

Yes, lately religion, in particular, Xtianity, is under attack, and for good reason. Religion has enjoyed respect that it never deserved for far too long, and now it's just getting what it has coming.
Confident in the goodness of the Truth, Christians of all people should be the most open to honest inquiry and generous intellectual dialogue. They should not be defensive or desperate; they should be even more committed to seeking and serving the Truth than the professors are.
Timothy Dalrymple, Xtian blogger

Recently discovered Xtian principle: I\'m OK, you may be OK, and they are definitely not OK.

the_antithesis

Saying that religion is under attack is like saying belief that the Earth is flat is under attack.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't get to believe any stupid piece of shit that crosses your mind. Reality doesn't work that way. There is some wiggle room in some areas that have not be adequately explored. These people get no points for choosing to believe shit in areas where there is no wiggle room.

Youssuf Ramadan

Most forms of evidence-free woo have been under attack of one sort or another from adherents of different evidence-free woo since time immemorial.  I don't see that changing any time soon.

widdershins

In my opinion saying Christianity is under attack in America is like Hitler saying Germans were under attack by the Jews.  For centuries they have been strong-arm thugs forcing their beliefs on everyone else.  They have confused the waning of their undeserved power with persecution.

And let's not forget that Christians define "persecution" every differently than intelligent people do.  If you say Muslims are bad, not persecution of anyone.  If you say atheists are bad, not persecution of anybody.  The same is true for gays and Wiccans and all manner of pagans.  But if you say Christianity is bad, now THAT is persecution.  If you teach school children that they should be atheists, persecution of Christians.  If you teach school children nothing about religion, persecution of Christians.  If you teach school children to be Christian, nobody is being persecuted.

I watched the clip.  The reporter is there to report "the news".  A Bible quote was not "the news", it was babbling.  A good reporter will always cut off someone who is babbling about something unrelated to what is being reported and not of newsworthy value, such as some dumb bitch preaching.  He did what any good reporter would do and cut her off, politely, when she started babbling about something completely irrelevant to the story he was reporting on and which was not in the least bit newsworthy.
This sentence is a lie...

Aroura33

Quote from: "widdershins"In my opinion saying Christianity is under attack in America is like Hitler saying Germans were under attack by the Jews.  For centuries they have been strong-arm thugs forcing their beliefs on everyone else.  They have confused the waning of their undeserved power with persecution.

And let's not forget that Christians define "persecution" every differently than intelligent people do.  If you say Muslims are bad, not persecution of anyone.  If you say atheists are bad, not persecution of anybody.  The same is true for gays and Wiccans and all manner of pagans.  But if you say Christianity is bad, now THAT is persecution.  If you teach school children that they should be atheists, persecution of Christians.  If you teach school children nothing about religion, persecution of Christians.  If you teach school children to be Christian, nobody is being persecuted.

I watched the clip.  The reporter is there to report "the news".  A Bible quote was not "the news", it was babbling.  A good reporter will always cut off someone who is babbling about something unrelated to what is being reported and not of newsworthy value, such as some dumb bitch preaching.  He did what any good reporter would do and cut her off, politely, when she started babbling about something completely irrelevant to the story he was reporting on and which was not in the least bit newsworthy.
100x this.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Thumpalumpacus

If their god really wanted them to speak on his behalf, he would have permitted the interview to continue.  

They need to stop thinking that their god cannot make a reporter bow to his wishes.  It bespeaks a lack of faith on their part.
<insert witty aphorism here>

BarkAtTheMoon

"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

stromboli

Yeah, Christianity is always under attack. 75-80% of U.S. citizens identify as Christians, but they are under attack. They were martyrs in Rome- oops, evidence is coming out that maybe they weren't. Hmm. Never mind the genocide, pogroms, racial prejudice and homophobia committed by them over centuries, they are under attack.

Brian37

Any form of superstition should be under attack. Why should any evidence free woo get a pass from questioning? Is Christianity under attack? Yea and was the flat earth claims, so should Ouija Boards and Big Foot.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

BlackL1ght

Vi veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

stromboli

Christianity needs to be backed up against the wall and bitch slapped. Seriously.

WitchSabrina

Christians are under attack today on my FB page and I launched a two part rant telling them to shit or get off the pot; and seriously GO CLEAN their own houses.

Yes I ranted.  And I ranted Hard and Long.

And I laugh and I'm mean when they tell me how oppressed they are.
Today.......they can fucking shove it!
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.