News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Honestly...so happy to be here

Started by Rosycheeked_rebel, July 11, 2020, 07:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on July 12, 2020, 08:17:03 PM
Let's face it; Christianity is one morbid religion.  It worships an idol nailed to a cross.  It's absolutely barbaric at it's core.
Well, it originated with old men talking bullshit while sitting around camel dung fires, so what would we expect.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Welcome to our little band of heathens.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 13, 2020, 08:46:00 AM
Well, it originated with old men talking bullshit while sitting around camel dung fires, so what would we expect.

Those were the winners.  You should see the losers.  Wiping their ass for millennia with hot sand!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on July 12, 2020, 08:17:03 PM
Let's face it; Christianity is one morbid religion.  It worships an idol nailed to a cross.  It's absolutely barbaric at it's core.
I suppose if Christianity were starting now, the symbol for it in a thousand years would be a hypodermic needle, or a noose, or whatever execution technique is in vogue wherever it might start today.

It's hard not to define Christianity as a sort of death cult -- the worship of the cross, an object of death by torture, the beatification of martyrs, and the teaching that this life is bad or tainted or impure or something and that the "real" life comes 'after death'.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Rosycheeked_rebel on July 11, 2020, 07:46:06 PM
Hi everyone.

First, huge thanks to the admins for letting me in.

I'm a 20-year-old from New York. I left Christianity right before my 15th birthday I think. I started off as the stereotypical angry atheist, before relaxing and easing into agnosticism. I stayed there for a while, and made my way back to atheism only within the last month or two. I'd like to think I'm not angry now, but unfortunately due to the hold religion and fundamentalist Christians still have on my life, I am. I wouldn't say I'm anti-theist, but with time I've become more and more anti-religion.

I like to separate the reasons why I left religion and why I'm so critical of it now into subjective and objective reasons. Subjective pertaining to personal experiences, particularly negative ones and let-downs, that showed me Christianity was full of it; and objective pertaining to the typical, universal questions and reasons that cause people to leave (seeing the contradictions, how much it clashes with science, how it fuels and endorses division, etc.). With more time and posts, I could probably delve into this more.

I really would like a place where I can be myself, around like-minded people. I'm not out to a lot of people in my life, some by choice and many not so much, about this (although I have been more open about critiquing and showing distaste for religion as a whole). The people close to me who do know are not respecting it and seem to have a large desire to "bring me back". There will have to be a time, probably soon, where I will have to just be honest and tell the truth. It's so loaded; outing myself as an atheist will also mean outing myself as a member of the LGBTQ+ community, which undoubtedly played a large role in me leaving Christianity and not liking religion, and going into detail about the trauma I have and how Christianity has played a significant role in it. Not everyone deserves to know, but I also want to stop putting on a facade, allowing people who do know to think they have some right to walk all over me for their own gain, and just be able to live my truth fully. I'll probably ask here or in some other atheist groups I'm in how to prepare for that when the time is right.

This is getting heavy and a little too long, so I'll wrap it up with some fun facts: I'm an anthropology major and psychology minor, hoping to maybe pursue a PhD. Cultural and linguistic anthropology are my niches. I'm hoping to maybe work in victim advocacy, healthcare, or the legal system. I'm passionate about mental health awareness and reform, as that is something close to my heart. I consider myself to be a feminist (also undoubtedly plays a large role in everything). I love fashion and beauty, I'm a huge girly girl, and my favorite colors are purple and pink. I'm definitely a cat person. My favorite flowers are roses and sunflowers. I'm lowkey starting to hate summer and am waiting for the day our planet can provide steady, stable weather that isn't one extreme or the other again (assuming we haven't damaged it too much...). I'm obsessed with space and the ocean. I love rock music, though I will never have the voice for it, and chocolate and vanilla millshakes are the best!

I can't wait to be active here and possibly even make a few friends. I know I damn well need it.

Welcome! Also it's great to meet someone close to my own field. I'm a History major and a Anthropology minor.