Blackleaf

Seems like a good time to bust this out again:

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

PickelledEggs

They need to immediately use the 25th amendment and get this shit for brains out of there.

Hydra009

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 07, 2021, 12:12:07 AM
They need to immediately use the 25th amendment and get this shit for brains out of there.
At the very least, a 2nd round of impeachment.  This shit won't be tolerated.  It's one thing to be a clown on twitter, it's an entirely different matter for the sitting President to incite a mob and put people's lives at risk as part of some bizarre coup attempt, all because he's too stupid to know that he lost an election.

Part of the reason this happened is because bad actors have yet to encounter consequences in any real way.  That needs to change.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on January 06, 2021, 08:47:34 PM
Apparently history is being rewritten so that the "mostly peaceful" protests are now entirely peaceful so that they can be contrasted to the current ones.
Show me the screenshot where Black Lives Matter stormed the capitol building and forced the Republican-led congress to flee. I'll wait.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Blackleaf

https://twitter.com/i/status/1346958925766164481

Peaceful protesters smash in window to enter government building. You know, to peacefully demonstrate their concerns with non-violence, the Republican way?
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

So they managed to find this genius...

Richard Bigo Barnett is his name. He claims he didn't steal the letter because he, "put a quarter on her (Pelosi's) desk." Yeah, I'm sure that'll hold up in court. If he's not in jail in the next 6 hours, that's some bullshit.
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

So Congress is FINALLY heading home, nearly 4 in the morning.

Let me put this bluntly, that biased or not you have to accept is the reality...

121 Representatives re-affirmed that, even after this violence, they refuse to accept the legitimacy of Biden's presidency.

6 Senators, the Seditious Six led by Ted Cruz, re-affirmed that, even after this violence, they refuse to accept the legitimacy of Biden's presidency.

In the end, the President of the United States was essentially banned from making public remarks and the Vice President had to overstep his authority and do something he isn't allowed to do by law in calling the national guard to help put down an insurrection attempt that was aided and abetted by the DC police... national guard that the Mayor of DC asked for yesterday and the President refused to send.

And why was the President banned from Twitter, his microphone to the public? Because 3 times he praised the people who were violently storming the Capitol building, told them he loved them and supported them, after spending the last 2 months telling them to be angry, to not accept a peaceful transition of power.

Four people died laying siege to our capitol because of conspiracy theory bullshit that 34% of Americans believe in.

Let me repeat that... Four people died laying siege to our capitol because of a conspiracy theory... a conspiracy theory peddled by a failed businessman and several Senator's who place their political ambitions above the good of the people, even if it meant violence... the same folly that killed the Roman Republic before us.

That is January 6th, 2021, summed up in the least biased way I can think of.

If you are still "BuT bOtH sIdEs!!!" after this, you are not a libertarian, you are not a conservative, you are not a kek-lawlz-woke... you are a useful fucking idiot and not a shred more, plain and simple.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

Something real needs to be done with social media platforms. As long as people live in deliberately constructed delusions for more profit, there is no end to how far this shit will go. Odds are what we call batshit crazy now will look like some kindergarten material around 2030s.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/apps/news/whatsapp-privacy-policy-terms-update-february-8-2021-changes-2348361

WhatsApp Privacy Policy, Terms of Service Update Makes Facebook Data Sharing Mandatory

QuoteWhatsApp users will be required to either accept the updated privacy policy and terms of service or lose their access to the app from February 8, 2021.

The most notable changes that exist on both updated privacy policy and terms of service are around how WhatsApp shares information with Facebook and its subsidiaries.

“The information we share with the other Facebook Companies includes your account registration information (such as your phone number), transaction data, service-related information, information on how you interact with others (including businesses) when using our Services, mobile device information, your IP address, and may include other information identified in the Privacy Policy section entitled ‘Information We Collect' or obtained upon notice to you or based on your consent,” WhatsApp noted in a dedicated FAQ section detailing the information it shares with Facebook's companies.

Prior to the latest update, existing users were provided with the option to choose not to have their WhatsApp account information shared with Facebook. This, however, seems to be not the case this time.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

GSOgymrat

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 07, 2021, 06:17:39 AM
Something real needs to be done with social media platforms. As long as people live in deliberately constructed delusions for more profit, there is no end to how far this shit will go. Odds are what we call batshit crazy now will look like some kindergarten material around 2030s.

This is what really bothers me. Yesterday's events were a consequence of social media. Donald Trump could not have even been elected without Twitter. Some people think of social media as a neutral format, like a virtual town square or an online forum, but it's not neutral because it's monetized and designed to manipulate and be addictive. The social media feed of a Trump supporter reflects a very different America from the social media feed of a Biden supporter. Unfortunately, there isn't an easy solution. We are going to have to adapt as individuals and as societies because the genie is out of the bottle.

GSOgymrat

"Even though I totally disagree with the outcome of the election, and the facts bear me out, nevertheless there will be an orderly transition on January 20th," Trump said in the statement shared by Dan Scavino, the White House deputy chief of staff for communications. "I have always said we would continue our... fight to ensure that only legal votes were counted. While this represents the end of the greatest first term in presidential history, it's only the beginning of our fight to Make America Great Again!"

Trump cannot be trusted. He needs to be impeached.

trdsf

Every Representative and every Senator who voted for any of the objections yesterday and early this morning, by giving credence to lunatic conspiracy theories and outright lies about the 2020 election, is complicit in the civil blasphemy that occurred yesterday.  And Donald J Trump is guilty of seditious incitement.  To use his own words, "it is what it is".
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

NYT
“We’re seeing more and more citizens expressing openness to violence,” Lee Drutman, a political scientist, told me almost three months ago, “as more and more partisan leaders engage in the kinds of dehumanizing rhetoric that paves the way for taking violent action.”
This observation was made 3 months ago, which I believe is 20 years too late.  Hate radio started advocating this crap even earlier than that under the umbrella of free speech.  Free speech is important in a democracy, but there should be stronger penalties for yelling fire in a theater.  This is not intended to deflect responsibility from Trump.  In his position, the "bully pulpit" takes on a clearer meaning of what bully behavior actually is.  Trump may be worse than than the worst talk radio hosts, but that should not be used to defend the hate mongers that roam the airwaves either. Political leaders that facilitate the process should also be held accountable.  Twitter being the leader in the cleanup doesn't exactly reflect well on our system.  It's kind of a joke.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 07, 2021, 07:19:13 AM
This is what really bothers me. Yesterday's events were a consequence of social media. Donald Trump could not have even been elected without Twitter. Some people think of social media as a neutral format, like a virtual town square or an online forum, but it's not neutral because it's monetized and designed to manipulate and be addictive. The social media feed of a Trump supporter reflects a very different America from the social media feed of a Biden supporter. Unfortunately, there isn't an easy solution. We are going to have to adapt as individuals and as societies because the genie is out of the bottle.

Agreed. But Facebook is the most dangerous one if you ask me, because it is a far more detailed, most effective one in creating rabbit holes.

The thing is, these platforms have managed to impose on people that as a price of certain kind of convenience(s), they will be traced and fed ads, recorded relentlessly. When people realised about what they now call 'the great hack', it was far gone, already done. Sites came before apps. Apps just made it perfect.

Now, in this phase after that if you talk about this with people, they mostly say 'oh well they have already hear/listen and know everything about me, so it is futile. It's just ads and stuff I buy anyway. It's to get my attention to what I like, what I'm interested in.' 

The big problem is that obviously this has become more than that some time ago, though it is the core mechanism. As far as I understand from docus and blogs...etc, it's about changing people; so being able to create variations that can be measured and controlled, and so manipulated -it doesn't matter what the content is in anyway- and that's how the addiction and the rabbit hole cycle gets real.

I've watched the new Social Dilemma documentary. However, I have failed to see the famous 'dilemma' at this point and also found the solutions offered there pretty pointless, pretty manipulative. Although it pretends to offer different opinions on some scale of so called pesimists to optimists, it actually imposes the very idea that there is no way out of this -"checkmate on humanity"- goes to some evolutionary psyhology angle, addiciton... to explain it and offers the same tech itself as a solution -what the fuck does "humane  technology" mean, this is made for profit- and furthermore this is also voiced by some young experts -some turned activists- a couple of them keeps saying thing like 'we invented the like button because we thought people would like it!'.

Yeah...I get that people who create/design these platforms are considered as smart kids, but the generation gap tells me that they were subjected to their own bullshit a bit too long, if they think anyone with two brain cells to rub together will buy that bullshit. Then I doubt if anyone really knows what are those algorithms really, precisely capable of anymore as I said before.

But 'the checkmate humanity' angle is pretty much the same, stale bullshit with the first phase imposition that ended with 'it is futile' brainwashing.

SGOS

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 07, 2021, 12:12:07 AM
Somehow, I don't see Pence doing that.  He may have called the police when Trump wouldn't, but he's still a lap dog.  Isn't it the responsibility of the vice president to enforce the 25th, I actually don't know, but I've heard this mentioned.