Wizards bans 7 MTG cards for depicting racism

Started by Hydra009, June 11, 2020, 08:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Cards on the table

First off, MTG has the best fantasy art in the world.  Period.  Fight me, LOTR fans and/or D&D fans.
Secondly, I'm very touchy about any perceived censorship, especially regarding art.  I tend to be very permissive when it comes to this stuff.

So when I heard that Wizards of the Coast just banned 7 cards, my initial reaction was not approving at all.

First on the chopping block is Invoke Prejudice, a card I've never even heard of before.  Legends = too rich for my blood.  I don't even feel comfortable posting it, that's how much I dislike this card.  It really hit the trifecta - card name that evokes (or rather, invokes) racism, art that looks very much like the KKK, and the artist himself has a reputation as a white nationalist (the guy literally drew Hitler like Jesus).  100% agreed on that one.

Second and third are Crusade and Jihad.  (Is Army of Allah still okay?  LOL)  While I think the artwork is pretty cool, I can understand that this would be a bit insensitive.  Also, it's immersion-breaking since they reference real-world religion and not the fantasy religions of MTG.  I'd get rid of it for that reason.

Fourth is Stone-Throwing Devils.  I found this decision mystifying until I read that that's actually a slur against muslims.  Fine, chuck it.

Fifth is Cleanse.  "All black creatures are destroyed" sounds bad to non-fans, but "black" in this context is a metaphysical darkness - ruthless and power-seeking at all costs - it's not a racial thing.  And the card's art clearly depicts non-humans, probably imps.  There are other cards with similar effects - Hellfire destroys all non-black creatures.  Mechanically, that's a fair play.  Personally, I would keep this one.

Sixth is Imprison.  It's a lot like Paralyze but mechanically worse and the artwork isn't as good imo.

I'd get rid of it, but for entirely different reasons from WoTC.

Last but not least is Pradesh Gypsies.  Problematic name?  I dunno, maybe.  But I love this artwork.  You can tell they're very down-to-earth, rugged, tight-knit, straightforward people.  It's a very flattering image, imo.  Mechanically, I really like it.  This card was such fun against first strike creatures!  I would definitely keep the artwork for this one, although I'm open to changing the name away from gypsies.

I'm in agreement with Wizards for 5 out of 7 of these cards.  I'd keep Cleanse and Pradesh Gypsies.

What do you think?  Did they go too far or is it high time for these cards to be gone?  What do you guys think about Massacre?

Personally, I'm pretty surprised that one wasn't purged.

Baruch

All fiction must be by "woke" Black writers.  Wakanda Rules!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

If you are asking, I personally don't feel these cards should have been banned. Not even the kkk one. Tbh. Cards should only be banned to even the playing field and counter unforseen OP combinations. And even then...
I never seen any of these before. And like you I don't play legends. Hardly even touch historic. But no, I don't personally agree with this in principle.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on June 24, 2020, 02:26:40 AM
If you are asking, I personally don't feel these cards should have been banned. Not even the kkk one. Tbh. Cards should only be banned to even the playing field and counter unforseen OP combinations. And even then...
I never seen any of these before. And like you I don't play legends. Hardly even touch historic. But no, I don't personally agree with this in principle.

I guess if the Warsaw Pact had invaded Belgium back in the day (being NATO HQ) ... you wouldn't have helped them.  Yuri Bezmenov!!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on June 24, 2020, 01:53:56 PMBTW, hydra, you got mtg arena?
Nah.  Should I?  I tried a few of the newer MTG games and didn't much care for them - Duels of the Planeswalkers, MTG 2016, the mobile MTG game.  They all kinda fell flat.  Plus, I also promised myself not to get sucked into MTG micro-transactions.

I've been playing the oldschool 1997 game.  First turn dark ritual -> hypnotic specter LOL.  I would really enjoy a game like that with Tempest thru Exodus.  Or maybe the Invasion or Mirrodin block.  Those are my faves.

I play MTG Forge on occasion, though that has no multiplayer iirc.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 24, 2020, 02:18:52 PM
Nah.  Should I?  I tried a few of the newer MTG games and didn't much care for them - Duels of the Planeswalkers, MTG 2016, the mobile MTG game.  They all kinda fell flat.  Plus, I also promised myself not to get sucked into MTG micro-transactions.

I've been playing the oldschool 1997 game.  First turn dark ritual -> hypnotic specter LOL.  I would really enjoy a game like that with Tempest thru Exodus.  Or maybe the Invasion or Mirrodin block.  Those are my faves.

I play MTG Forge on occasion, though that has no multiplayer iirc.

I've played for a few months without needing to do any micro transactions. I share your aversion for that. Not just in mtga but in everything. Heck, I refused to buy dlc when I still played videogames regularly.
But you can earn enough resources to play on a non-top-tier level if you have less than top-tier skill. Hell, in real life my friends tend to beat me. But on there I am on the good side of average. If you wa't to go to the top of the top, yeah, I'm betting you need to spend some cash. But I don't want to. Without spending money I easily arrive at my level.

I used to play mtg online, and I think I spent about 15 bucks in there in total. But the mtg à formula makes specific card acquisition harder,  but gives you more cards free. Motivates me to play more creatively and spend less cash. Again played 5 months, didn't spend a dime. Had fun.
If you ever join, let me know. We could have a match.

Hydra009

Free to play?  Alright, I'll give it a shot.  Preferably, in some sort of starter deck vs starter deck format.  If I have to go up against people making it rain ultrarares while I all I have is Chimney Imp and Cephalid Snitch, I might not stick around for long.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 24, 2020, 02:47:39 PM
Free to play?  Alright, I'll give it a shot.  Preferably, in some sort of starter deck vs starter deck format.  If I have to go up against people making it rain ultrarares while I all I have is Chimney Imp and Cephalid Snitch, I might not stick around for long.

Free to play, unless you want it all. But you get plenty without.
And the great thing about this too is that it ranks your strength and puts you against those of similar ranking. So you'll face noobs first and grow to your level.

Draconic Aiur

It's not even skin color but color of the card. Some might be offended, but MTG wasn't supposed to offend in the fist place because race wasn't considered at all. It's to be depicted as yang and yin mostly, dark and light, not black man and white man.

Also what about all the 1+/1+ in all the other cards red, blue, green? They simply are cardist.

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on June 24, 2020, 03:41:22 PM
It's not even skin color but color of the card. Some might be offended, but MTG wasn't supposed to offend in the fist place because race wasn't considered at all. It's to be depicted as yang and yin mostly, dark and light, not black man and white man.

Also what about all the 1+/1+ in all the other cards red, blue, green? They simply are cardist.

Asians aren't woke to N American original sin.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.