News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How should I tell my parents I'm an Atheist?

Started by Jelly Penutbutter, June 24, 2013, 05:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

The answer is simple.
Mom, dad.. I'm a grown up and don't believe in the same things you do. I still love you and always will.

If they disown you then you know where you stand. If not and still love you you'll know where you stand.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Brian37

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "Jelly Penutbutter"how should I tell my parents?

What makes you think that you should even tell them?

I'd say the same about gays. It is often for the person in the closet more torture being silent than it would be to simply be out. Is there risk? Of course. I'd say youth have it much harder since they are wards of their parents. But even in the worst case if someone as an adult does get disowned by family, they can find other atheists and even other accepting theist friends.

My younger sister got raked over the coals by many members of our family once she came out as an atheist. But she is an adult and has two kids of her own and a husband. She can tell you flat out she feels much better not having to hide it and pretend. It is a tough road no matter what one decides, and only the person in it can best gauge when and how to do it, or if they do it.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Johan

Quote from: "Jelly Penutbutter"If I wait until I'm out of their house when (in your opinion) be the best time/way to tell them?
It's impossible for anyone who doesn't know both you and them personally to answer that.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

DerpinDots

I'm sort of in the same boat. I basically shut down all religious talk with my parents and show no interest in going to church/doing church activities. Honestly I would try and wait until you're on your own. Now I don't know how strong your relationship with your parents is but since you're young and need them, at least for a bit more, to provide for you why do/say something to hurt that. You have to look out for you and as much as I hate to say it; it may be better to swallow your pride and go along with it as painlessly as possible. Just until you're financially independent at the very least.

Gawdzilla Sama

One of my relatives just came out to his parents last week. They threw him out of the house and burned everything he had at home, leaving him homeless and with nothing but the clothes he was standing in. Very Christian of them.

Don't come out if it is going to put you at risk. If the believers can lie for Jesus you can lie to save your ass. Be patient, you don't have to live with them forever.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

"Fuck your god" works but is not recommended.

Savior2006

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"One of my relatives just came out to his parents last week. They threw him out of the house and burned everything he had at home, leaving him homeless and with nothing but the clothes he was standing in. Very Christian of them.

Don't come out if it is going to put you at risk. If the believers can lie for Jesus you can lie to save your ass. Be patient, you don't have to live with them forever.

Shit. Really sad to hear that. Some people have to learn the same painful lessons all over again.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

The Skeletal Atheist

Stab them and eat their organs. After all we have no morals, so they should know after that.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

AllPurposeAtheist

Casually scrape Jesus off your toast into the garbage disposal in the morning.. :)
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.