News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How should I tell my parents I'm an Atheist?

Started by Jelly Penutbutter, June 24, 2013, 05:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jelly Penutbutter

Sorry, It's long.

Hi, everyone, I'm new here! And so far enjoy having an Atheist comunity to relate with and have help. Well, now onto my point...I live with my parents (I'm in high school) they are Catholic. We also live in a County with high populations of Catholics, Presbiterian, Baptists, ect, and I don't believe any of that stuff. I've had "friends" who I thought I could open up with about being a "non-believer" well anyway the first words out of his god praising, knee bending, head bowing, talking to himself, idiot mouth was "You're going to hell and will burn forever!" He was so far the only jerk about it, my girlfriend (on/off)  and encourage me to be open about it. (She's Presbiterian. He's Catholic) Most of friends don't care or want me to believer, one of my brothers know.

Now to my question, how should I tell my parents? I've been hinting, but they're not very smart or observant. I'm planing on joining the Navy once I graduat high school and am thinking about telling them when I'm not at home. I'm not asking for a full blown answer just tips. so thank you for even reading this!!!
-JP

Elohim

Everyone is so different it's hard to say which way would be best for you and your parents. I personally wish that I had never told my parents I am atheist. If you think that they might need some time to mull it over you might wait until you are gone and then let them know in a carefully worded letter. That would give them time to get used to the idea before they see you again in person. If they are less high strung you might bring it up in casual conversation. "Did you see (insert shitty event from the news) this morning? I just don't see how anyone could believe there is a loving god watching over us!" That might get the conversation started in a non confrontational way.
"Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
- PopeyesPappy

Savior2006

Quote from: "Jelly Penutbutter"Sorry, It's long.

Hi, everyone, I'm new here! And so far enjoy having an Atheist comunity to relate with and have help. Well, now onto my point...I live with my parents (I'm in high school) they are Catholic. We also live in a County with high populations of Catholics, Presbiterian, Baptists, ect, and I don't believe any of that stuff. I've had "friends" who I thought I could open up with about being a "non-believer" well anyway the first words out of his god praising, knee bending, head bowing, talking to himself, idiot mouth was "You're going to hell and will burn forever!" He was so far the only jerk about it, my girlfriend (on/off)  and encourage me to be open about it. (She's Presbiterian. He's Catholic) Most of friends don't care or want me to believer, one of my brothers know.

Now to my question, how should I tell my parents? I've been hinting, but they're not very smart or observant. I'm planing on joining the Navy once I graduat high school and am thinking about telling them when I'm not at home. I'm not asking for a full blown answer just tips. so thank you for even reading this!!!

I told both my parents (by accident) when they looked over my shoulder to see my desk top. It had the Atheism demotivator. "There isn't a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow either."

"What's this crap?" My dad said.

"lolz wtf is dis shit atheists buleaf in treez!" My mother said.

Now granted, they are both easy going enough folks. My dad is anyways. I got off lucky, and I understand that a lot of people probably will not.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Brian37

Well once you are out on your own, it should not matter. And if they love you as much as you might like, they won't disown you. I have been an atheist for almost 20 years and my mother still thinks it is a "phase". But to her credit she listens to my arguments much of the time, agrees with some of them but still clings to her own superstition. I love her and she is always my biggest supporter.

We really cant advise you because each case is different. I have cut off my own older brother not because I want to, but because every time I met him, as an adult because I was adopted and found him later, he sucked the life out of me preaching to me about being condemned to hell. Other family members such as my adoptive mom have not had that same attitude. So it really relies on you and what you think and how you want to deal with them after you tell them.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Savior2006

Quote from: "Mermaid"Do you have to tell them?

I would avoid it if possible.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Jelly Penutbutter

I would feel better if they did know, they constantly get me religiose "gifts"
-JP

Cudann

As far as I can tell there isn't a best way.  I sat down with my parents and straight up told them, and that worked for me.  My recommendation:  If you think they'll be shocked or upset, don't say it casually/off the cuff.  If it's a big deal for them, it'll be all the more painful if you just mention it in light conversation.  A well thought-out letter, or a one-on-one(two?) conversation, or something like that would show them you understand the weight of the matter, even if what you're ultimately telling them is not something they'd like to hear.  

Anyway, that's if you think they'll consider it a big deal.  Good luck!

Solitary

Get out on your own as soon as possible! And be glad they love you enough to get you presents. Why tell them?  [-X  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

PickelledEggs

Welcome!

As for your issue, I would feel it out. In otherwords like Elohim said, everyone is different. Even though you could describe your parents to us as much as possible, you have a better guage of what would an appropriate way to tell them.
In case of the off chance that you never heard of Epicurus, he nails it with something he said over 2000 years ago.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

Maybe the way to bring it up isn't to just say it, but to ask, "What does this mean to you guys?" That way you can see thier thoughts on things... And if you think they aren't going to be too harsh on you by telling them about your atheism it's a good way to segway in to you letting them know with them already knowing your concern and thought process.

Johan

Quote from: "Jelly Penutbutter"I would feel better if they did know, they constantly get me religiose "gifts"
Which is proof positive that you probably should not tell them just yet. Wait until you're over 18 and no longer dependent on them for a place to live, then tell them. If you do it sooner you run a very high risk of ending up in 'my house, my rules' territory and nothing good ever comes from that.

I totally understand the desire to tell them ASAP. But I also understand how miserable life can become when telling parents things they might not want to hear while still being young enough for them to consider you a child and legally able to treat you as such.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Plu

Quoteor a one-on-one(two?) conversation

Don't set people down for a one-on-two conversation, because usually one will drag the other down because each is afraid to go against their partner. If you have that talk, do it one-on-one, and start with the one you think is least likely to explode and immediately tell the other.

(If you think both will explode, you should probably not tell them at all for the time being)

Jelly Penutbutter

If I wait until I'm out of their house when (in your opinion) be the best time/way to tell them?
-JP

Jason78

Quote from: "Jelly Penutbutter"how should I tell my parents?

What makes you think that you should even tell them?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers