How much is lying a part of Christianity?

Started by Jagella, March 08, 2020, 05:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Newtonian on March 17, 2020, 09:18:01 PM
Theists?   Please understand Jehovah's Witnesses are a separate and distinct religion very different from most other religions.   You need be specific for me to respond better.
Theist is a catch-all term for someone who believes in a god or gods.  Jehovah's Witnesses might conceive themselves as vastly different from the pack, but from an outsider perspective, it's just a different coat of paint on the same toilet.

trdsf

'Lying' is probably not quite the right term.  That implies that one knows one is speaking untruths, and a lot of people legitimately believe their religion -- regardless of whether there's a good reason to.

'Self-delusion' is probably the better phrase.  Religion dies without that.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gregory

Quote from: trdsf on March 17, 2020, 10:04:14 PM
'Lying' is probably not quite the right term.  That implies that one knows one is speaking untruths, and a lot of people legitimately believe their religion -- regardless of whether there's a good reason to.

Religion dies without the indoctrination of children.  In the Bible, the Hebrews admitted as much.

Baruch

Quote from: Gregory on March 18, 2020, 12:24:35 AM
Religion dies without the indoctrination of children.  In the Bible, the Hebrews admitted as much.

If you don't indoctrinate your children, you get Children of the Corn.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jagella

Quote from: trdsf on March 17, 2020, 10:04:14 PM

You are correct. A lie won't work unless somebody is lied to. Many of the clergy lie, and many of the faithful believe those lies hoping those lies are true.

Gregory

Lying is nothing if it does no harm.  Telling someone that they are going to heaven when they are dying does no harm.

Hydra009

Quote from: Gregory on March 19, 2020, 03:20:15 AM
Lying is nothing if it does no harm.  Telling someone that they are going to heaven when they are dying does no harm.
Ehhh...I don't know about you, but I'd rather not have someone blow smoke up my ass.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 17, 2020, 09:33:35 PM
Theist is a catch-all term for someone who believes in a god or gods.  Jehovah's Witnesses might conceive themselves as vastly different from the pack, but from an outsider perspective, it's just a different coat of paint on the same toilet.
Yeah-butting is endemic in religion. "Yeah, but we have the straight skinny."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 19, 2020, 05:48:56 AM
Ehhh...I don't know about you, but I'd rather not have someone blow smoke up my ass.
It might make you more sympathetic toward smoked ham.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Jagella

Belief in a post-life heaven may lead to complacency in this life. People may be less likely to try to solve problems and exploit resources to maximize well-being. Moreover, preaching a ticket to heaven exclusive to one religion may lead to confusion and division among people of all religions. Even violence may occur if people fear that others may not make it to their heaven.

So belief in heaven can and often has led to hell on earth.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 19, 2020, 05:48:56 AM

Good plan.  The one time I had sarcasm nearly put me in a hospital (I had offended a co-worker) I had used that meme.  Fortunately I know how to go in reverse.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Lying is nothing if it does no harm.
Agreed, with caveats.  So-called "little white lies" are still lies.

Telling someone that they are going to heaven when they are dying does no harm.
I can think of few things more heinous than lying to someone in extremis.  When I'm on my death bed, I will find the energy to rip a new one out of whoever is so damned tactless to say something like that to me.  And if in a position to be asked by a believer, I'll punt with something genuinely innocuous designed to protect their feelings without making a hypocrite of myself.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

LoriPinkAngel

I deal with dying people sometimes in my line of work.  When they speak of going to heaven or meeting their maker I am obviously not going to contradict them at that time.  I usually just evade the subject by saying something like we will be here for you and we will do all we can to manage your pain.

Jagella

Quote from: LoriPinkAngel on March 19, 2020, 11:52:55 AM
I deal with dying people sometimes in my line of work.  When they speak of going to heaven or meeting their maker I am obviously not going to contradict them at that time.  I usually just evade the subject by saying something like we will be here for you and we will do all we can to manage your pain.

I think you're doing the right thing. I generally don't disabuse people of their comforting beliefs unless doing so is in the context of a debate or discussion on that subject. I also may warn people of the potential dangers of those beliefs if necessary. In any case, when you do assure them that medical science is their better bet, I'd recommend that you do so persuasively.

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on March 19, 2020, 11:12:13 AM
Agreed, with caveats.  So-called "little white lies" are still lies.
I can think of few things more heinous than lying to someone in extremis.  When I'm on my death bed, I will find the energy to rip a new one out of whoever is so damned tactless to say something like that to me.  And if in a position to be asked by a believer, I'll punt with something genuinely innocuous designed to protect their feelings without making a hypocrite of myself.

No worry, when you get the Covid-cremation treatment, still alive or not, you won't have anyone chatting with you about things that annoy you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.