News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What book should I read next?

Started by AcrobaticDetective, February 17, 2020, 09:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 20, 2020, 01:47:51 PM
I think we should celebrate who we are becoming, not mourn who we once were.

So clown suit at a funeral? (sarc)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Well, that might work in New Orleans, where they celebrate a death.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 20, 2020, 01:47:51 PM
I think we should celebrate who we are becoming, not mourn who we once were.
True.  But when I divorced my wife, I mourned the death of that relationship.  And I celebrated that it had died, too.  I think we can do both.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 20, 2020, 06:06:53 PM
Well, that might work in New Orleans, where they celebrate a death.

Only after an all nighter!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: AcrobaticDetective on February 17, 2020, 09:23:14 PM
I have completed reading "The God Delusion" and "God is Not Great." While I enjoyed them both, they don't do a very good job representing Catholicism or the Bible. For example Hitchens mentions all four gospels being based off of Q. Only 2 (Matthew and Luke) likely were. 

What should I read next? Are any of the modern atheist writers more scholarly?  Again, I like Hitchens and Dawkins for what they do, but I'm looking for something that I don't have to mentally correct as I'm reading it. Perhaps a book that addresses the Bible and Jesus more directly...
If you're looking for a good critique of the Bible, The Skeptic's Annotated Bible is probably the best you're going to get. There's a physical copy you can buy, but I prefer the website since you can click all the hyperlinks and take some pretty deep dives into certain Biblical subjects.

I wouldn't bother trying to find more books in the style of the two you mentioned. Those types of books are aimed at the casual believer who isn't intimately familiar with the Bible or with church tradition. Good for converting people, but not much else. Even if there there are some books of this style with more scholarly meat to them, at that point you're better off just going and reading up on the sciences to learn how the world actually works, and not worry so much about religious opinions.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gregory

Read what you will, you will anyway.

AcrobaticDetective

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on February 21, 2020, 01:11:01 AM
If you're looking for a good critique of the Bible, The Skeptic's Annotated Bible is probably the best you're going to get. There's a physical copy you can buy, but I prefer the website since you can click all the hyperlinks and take some pretty deep dives into certain Biblical subjects.

I wouldn't bother trying to find more books in the style of the two you mentioned. Those types of books are aimed at the casual believer who isn't intimately familiar with the Bible or with church tradition. Good for converting people, but not much else. Even if there there are some books of this style with more scholarly meat to them, at that point you're better off just going and reading up on the sciences to learn how the world actually works, and not worry so much about religious opinions.

Thanks for the suggestion. It is a very fun site. :)
"I'm a talking chimpanzee in a hat and you're a grown man in a bat suit. Let them have this."