News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

I have actually heard some people try to claim that seatbelts could trap you in the car, as if that's better than being thrown out the windshield. But most people, I hope, would see the satire in this.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

QuoteI have actually heard some people try to claim that seatbelts could trap you in the car...

Unless they are driving a 1950's F1 car (i.e. a bathtub full of rocket fuel), that probably shouldn't be their biggest concern...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Two-thirds of antivaxx propaganda created by just 12 individuals

QuoteThe list was compiled by the Centre for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH) and found most of the figures, who claim to be political or medical leaders, are based in America.
Jamie, pull that up

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on January 24, 2022, 11:31:03 AM
They better be making bank, because that is some efficiency.
It was much the same way in 2016 (and 2020, to some extent).  This stuff isn't so much grassroots as it is top-down.  And sadly, it does pay pretty well.

Cassia

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 24, 2022, 09:24:27 PM
It was much the same way in 2016 (and 2020, to some extent).  This stuff isn't so much grassroots as it is top-down.  And sadly, it does pay pretty well.
Read what you want to hear, hit share button to 300 peeps, each who do the same, all in about 3 seconds. Doesn't take much. The ancient Romans has disinformation about one of their plagues. Throw a plotted plant from a balcony so it shatters in front of the door and that will keep your house safe. It was dangerous to walk the streets.

Dark Lightning

Free, enlightened, state-supported education, FTW. Like that will ever happen. Our school system was pretty good, but I can assure you that we also educated our children well.

A. All of the three are atheists.
B. What?

Hydra009

Antivaxxer angry that he's no longer first in line to get life-saving treatment (not that one, the other kind of life-saving treatment)

QuoteDJ's family says he was at the front of the line to receive a transplant but hospital policy stipulates that he's no longer eligible because he hasn't received the vaccination. And David Ferguson says his son simply won't.

"It's kind of against his basic principles â€" he doesn't believe in it," David Ferguson says. "It's a policy they are enforcing and so, because he won't get the shot, they took him off the list (for) a heart transplant."
The totalitarian gall!  Treating antivaxxers as second-class citizens.  There better be a reasonable explanation for this outrage!

QuoteDr. Arthur Caplan, the head of medical ethics at NYU Grossman School of Medicine, explains that being vaccinated is necessary for this type of procedure.

"Post any transplant, kidney, heart whatever, your immune system is shut off," Caplan said. "The flu could kill you, a cold could kill you, COVID could kill you. The organs are scarce, we are not going to distribute them to someone who has a poor chance of living when others who are vaccinated have a better chance post-surgery of surviving."
...oh.  That's actually really reasonable.  Never mind.

Quote"I think my boy is fighting pretty damn courageously and he has integrity and principles he really believes in and that makes me respect him all the more," David Ferguson said.

Which is why the family is sticking by his side and hoping for the best. "It's his body. It's his choice," Ferguson added.
And the choice here is what, exactly?  And with 3 children in the mix.  Helluva choice.

Blackleaf

If your life is on the line, and the only thing you have to do is get a safe and effective vaccine to save it, why the fuck wouldn't you just get the shot? Even if you don't believe in the vaccine, why would you literally die on this hill? Just get it so you can get your heart transplant. Jeez.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

the_antithesis

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 26, 2022, 11:52:37 AM
If your life is on the line, and the only thing you have to do is get a safe and effective vaccine to save it, why the fuck wouldn't you just get the shot? Even if you don't believe in the vaccine, why would you literally die on this hill? Just get it so you can get your heart transplant. Jeez.

They would rather die than admit they were wrong. I support their decision to Darwin themselves. Good riddance.

Hydra009

Fauci predicts omicron is going to peak in February.  Yours truly said the same.  We'll see.

NC is still in pretty rough shape with high cases/day, but down somewhat from the peak on Jan 13th with nearly 45,000 cases (remember when 1,000 cases/day had me shook?).  But it seems to be steadily declining, so I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll follow suit with New England's dip with a dip of our own.

I'd love to be able to go back to the gym and theaters and concerts and toss my masks in the garbage can.  Instead, I'm having to restock.  :(

Cassia

Bone Chilling convo on HCA between an atheist and conspiracy-minding sibling whose child informs the atheist "she's gone". I'll post here for convenience.

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Jason Harvestdancer

At this point, given that it is undeniable that Covid is actually a dud as much as apocalyptic plagues go, those who fell for the hysteria at the first are now doubling down.

It is hard to accept that you damaged your kids for nothing.  It's hard to accept that you stole their prom, their kindergarten graduation, their little league championship, and their chance for an athletic scholarship for nothing.  It HAS to be a deadly disease, because if it is not, it means those who advocated extreme measures were wrong, and being wrong cost their children dearly.  So instead of waking up and saying "hey I was wrong" and trying to fix the mess they made, they're going to double down.  Because acknowledging the damage they did is far too painful.

"But we were just trying to do something," won't cut it.  That is saying "It doesn't matter how many people died of other causes, as long as it saved one life from Covid."  That is not a balanced equation, and you won't be forgiven.  So rather than face consequences, they double down and insist that Covid is more than it really is.

The leaders, on the other hand, don't have such qualms.  When this is all over, they magically become Good Germans who never actually supported any of the extreme measures.  Oh no, that was always someone else.  The leadership that advocated the most extreme measures should realistically be put on trial in a way not seen since Nuremberg, but that's not likely to happen.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!