News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Dennis Prager ... Orthodox Jewish NYC activist.  Conservative ... originally acting on behalf of Soviet Jewish immigration.  So yes, unless you are into that subculture, it won't make much sense.  I think a lot of the opposition to Donald Trump is because he is a non-Jewish NYC property developer.  Not a lot of people into that culture either.  As I understand it, NYC is a multicultural/multiclass zone, where culture even varies within Manhattan.

So ... if you are into Venice Beach CA, and the surfer and beach volley ball culture ... some of us can ignore any political activists who come out of that ;-)

I don't know enough about NYC Jewish people to say, but I suspect that since most NYC Jews are liberal and secular, they probably don't track all that well with Dennis Prager either.  But ad hominem is always such a good argument here ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 15, 2020, 11:24:41 AM
Wow.  Never thought I see those words together.  I forget which one, but some Prager video floored me with some sort of seriously disingenuous attack against something reasonable (doesn't exactly narrow it down, I know)

You know how someone seems like a moderately intelligent straight shooter when they're talking about something you know practically nothing about, but then looks like a blatant liar when they talk about something you know a lot about?  That's Dennis Prager all over.

I think Dennis Prager is pretty clever. His YouTube videos have influenced millions of people and packaging his propaganda as a "university" is great marketing. He delivers arguments that sound convincing to people who don't know the things he's omitting. He has a well-rehearsed veneer of reasonableness. Prager is a much smarter player than Candace Owens.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 11, 2020, 02:40:45 PM
the US has the record now--do you mean Turkey will have even more deaths than we do???

Oh yeah...Watch it. Seriously.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: aitm on April 11, 2020, 09:15:24 PM
Hi DS, I for one am doing fine so far. Much better than many. Fortunately. Hope you are well.

Still not infected. Taking care of mom and dad but actually they don't need it, so it is just a bit of fun between us.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on April 15, 2020, 12:07:24 PM
I think Dennis Prager is pretty clever. His YouTube videos have influenced millions of people and packaging his propaganda as a "university" is great marketing. He delivers arguments that sound convincing to people who don't know the things he's omitting. He has a well-rehearsed veneer of reasonableness. Prager is a much smarter player than Candace Owens.

Ah yes .. the crime of omission .. is strong in activist discourse.  That is why I look at all streams of discourse and seriously consider what is coherent between them.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: drunkenshoe on April 15, 2020, 12:38:16 PM
Oh yeah...Watch it. Seriously.
Okay, I'll watch.  but the US is not slowing down.  In any case, keep yourself safe!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 15, 2020, 01:33:54 PM
Okay, I'll watch.  but the US is not slowing down.  In any case, keep yourself safe!!

Unfortunately a new spike.  New deaths peaked on April 10, but we got a new peak yesterday.

Turkey is still increasing new daily deaths ... they started 18 days after the US with their first fatality.  The totals are intermediate between Iraq and Iran.  Turkish deaths can be presumed to the high smoking rate in their population.

History is prologue.  A history of epidemics ... Yellow fever ... back in the day, outbreaks came from paddle wheelers on the Mississippi, and a boat and all on it would be quarantined.  The first national quarantine law was passed in 1878 after yet another Yellow fever outbreak in Memphis.  The vector of the 1878 outbreak was a man who escaped from a quarantined paddle wheeler, and he infected a woman, a restaurant owner, who died.  Most people in Memphis fled the city once an outbreak was announced in New Orleans.  But local quarantines by other Southern towns against citizens of Memphis impeded their escape.  Further hot spots developed in towns along the rail lines leading out of Memphis.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/first-victim-of-memphis-yellow-fever-epidemic-dies

"An 1873 epidemic claimed 2,000 in Memphis, a number which constituted at the time the most yellow fever victims in an inland city. ... The fever raged in Memphis until mid-October, infecting over 17,000 and killing 5,150. Over 90 percent of whites who remained contracted yellow fever, and roughly 70 percent of these died."

Where does quarantine come from?

"The practice of quarantine, as we know it, began during the 14th century in an effort to protect coastal cities from plague epidemics. Ships arriving in Venice from infected ports were required to sit at anchor for 40 days before landing. This practice, called quarantine, was derived from the Italian words quaranta giorni which mean 40 days."

Since a state wide or national quarantine has never been done before, we can expect a lot of mistakes to be made.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"WHO Blocked Doctors From Urging Border Controls To Stop Spread Of COVID-19" ... i for one welcome our CCP overlords.

"Turkey Plans To Send Fresh Wave Of COVID-Infected Migrants To Europe, Report" ... China and Turkey, partners in germ warfare ;-(

"China Will Be Hit With Second Coronavirus Wave In November, Top Shanghai Clinical Expert Warns" ... more bad news.

"'Rice ATM' Feeds Vietnam's Working Poor In Covid Lockdown" ... welcome to your future.  Mao jackets and bicycles optional.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 15, 2020, 06:32:07 PM
Chile counts dead as "recovered" because they're not longer contagious

Oh yeah, this is big brain time.

There are 50 different notions of lockdown in the US, one for each state, that has varied over time.  And not surprisingly, not just China, but all countries, have a reason for having different definitions of "infected", "dead" and "recovered".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"Shocking New Documents Prove China Deliberately Withheld Critical Coronavirus Info" ... that is just the human-to-human aspect of the transmission.  Models by experts say that just not doing this coverup, would have prevented 2/3 of eventual infections worldwide, and thus 2/3 of eventual deaths worldwide (though of course an old person could have died the next day anyway of the usual causes).

The narrative that the only reasonable story that fits the known facts, is that this was an accidental release from one of the Wuhan labs, bat-to-human ... then human-to-human.  The labs being developed jointly by China, France and the US.  Oops!  Probably the true first patient already died, and so justice is done.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on April 15, 2020, 08:46:02 PM
"Shocking New Documents Prove China Deliberately Withheld Critical Coronavirus Info"

theres new reports trying to claim that the virus started by a dog instead of a bat, but the dog got the virus from the bat it ate and then it spread to humans when they killed and ate the dog. Somehow this makes it less bad from whoever thought this shit up.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 15, 2020, 09:42:44 PM
In actually good news:  a british WWII veteran raises millions of pounds for charity

saw that, sweet old fella, reminds you there are good people in the world at a time like this.

meanwhile social media celebrities are having bitch fits because they can't go outside. I did appreciate ricky gervais newest calling them out on it.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 14, 2020, 10:53:36 AM
Yeah, that's kind of why people want to change our current system.
Change will require change?  Who knew!
An obvious problem and hence the need for changing it.
Every single time experts analyze this stuff, they say that a single-payer system would be cheaper.  You can't tell me they're talking bullshit and expect me to take your opinion seriously.  The far more likely explanation is that the experts are right and you're the one talking bullshit here.  You just dress it up to sound far more intelligent and reasonable than it really is.
Once again, saying that a lot of stuff needs to be changed isn't exactly a compelling argument for why nothing needs to change.
Overloaded hospitals?  That's the argument you're going with?  You know, there are plenty of countries with single payer.  They don't have overloaded hospitals.  You can't tell me to disbelieve my lying eyes and expect to be taken seriously.

Yes. Change will require change. That is my point. The problem is just switching over to a single payer system does not magically give us all the changes required to make healthcare in the US affordable enough to provide it to everyone. Reducing administrative costs by changing the current fee for service model isn't enough in and of it's self. There are other things driving up our healthcare costs that need to be addressed. Billing is only part of the problem with administrative costs. Compliance with government regulation is a huge burden on our healthcare system. Compliance with HIPAA is an expensive nightmare for providers. How do we change that without putting PHI at risk? How do we make it less expensive for drug manufacturers to bring new products to the market safely? How do we reduce malpractice costs?

The changes we need include fundamental changes to the way healthcare providers practice medicine. What do we do to reduce over use of expensive diagnostics? How do we fix scope of practice restrictions and clinical specialization?

How are we going to fix our education system is order to reduce healthcare professional workforce shortages?

My argument has never been the US shouldn't have universal healthcare. We should. It is that we need to address a lot of other issues that make our system more expensive in order to be able to afford it. Issues that are not fixed by simply switching over to a single payer system.   
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.