News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 25, 2020, 06:11:53 PM
“Hobby Lobby founder tells workers that God spoke to his wife and forgot to mention paid sick leave”.

Billionaire refuses to pay sick leave after keeping stores open because ‘God spoke to him’

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/hobby-lobby-stay-open-coronavirus-staff-sick-leave-a9423491.html

The US arts-and-crafts chain Hobby Lobby has said it will remain open during the coronavirus epidemic â€" but has also refused sick pay for workers who fall ill, including from Covid-19. ...

Mr Green, a devout conservative Christian whose net worth is in the region of $6bn, also wrote that “I cannot adequately express how much I appreciate each one of you.”

However, in a March 23 memo to store managers seen by Business Insider, store operations vice president Randy Betts wrote that the business would “make every effort to continue working the employees”, and that sick workers will be expected to use their personal paid leave or take an unpaid leave of absence.

Much of the reaction to the revelations focused on the discrepancy between the Christian values expressed in the letter and the hardline payroll policies in the memo. Left-wing blog DailyKos, for instance, headlined its story “Hobby Lobby founder tells workers that God spoke to his wife and forgot to mention paid sick leave”.

Sure enough, in the 19 March letter to employees, Mr Green wrote that when his wife Barbara prayed for guidance the week before, “God put on [her] heart three profound words to remind us that he’s in control: Guide, Guard and Groom.

“While we do not know for certain what the future holds, or how long this disruption will last, we can all rest in knowing that God is in control.” ...

Why do Christian find the idea of God being in control comforting? If you believe in an omnipotent God, isn't "God is in control" simply stating the obvious? It isn't like the God of the Bible is in control and everything is going to be fine. God is in control and he's giving you coronavirus. God is in control and he has deemed you unworthy. God is in control and he's decided to wipe all living creatures from the planet... again.

Christians sometimes remind me of people who would rather be in an abusive relationship than be alone.

Clearly Mr. Green is a man who holds and uses Christian values.  A TRUE christian, this man is.  After all, if God wants a worker of his to get this virus, then who is he to stand in God's way?? 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mermaid

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 24, 2020, 05:42:19 PM
Trump is a businessman, so the idea of people not working is something I'm sure he finds personally frustrating. He also is very aware of how this crisis can completely undermine his re-election. For example, even though he has been speaking publically he has not been able to control the media and the narrative as he has in the past. People are looking towards the experts (finally) rather than him for guidance. I work in healthcare, so I'm biased towards the wellness of individuals. Still, I think helping businesses survive and avoiding a global depression is something that needs to be a priority. What is the best way to minimize the economic impact of this pandemic? I have no idea.
He's making it ABOUT HIM.

It's not about him.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mermaid on March 25, 2020, 08:13:07 PM
He's making it ABOUT HIM.

It's not about him.
Don't tell him that!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

"DUDE WHO LICKED STUFF AT WAL MART FOR VIRAL VIDEO ARRESTED AND FACING FIVE YEARS IN PRISON??!" ... should be locked up with the toilet licking girl?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on March 25, 2020, 08:31:43 PM
"DUDE WHO LICKED STUFF AT WAL MART FOR VIRAL VIDEO ARRESTED AND FACING FIVE YEARS IN PRISON??!" ... should be locked up with the toilet licking girl?

no, they'd make viral videos about themselves
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Munch

how I wish this was real.

Munch

Munch

So looks like in wake of all this, Disney's stocks are plummeting. Both surprising and funny, since you'd think a company as huge as Disney would have a contingency plan in place for something like this, rather then depending on physical locations that needed to be closed.

It's funny seen as how they've been buying out everything for years now, but now shits hit the fan, they can't hold themselves above water.

I just wonder if when apple buys them their change Mickey mouses ears into apple logos

SGOS

Hmmm, that guy sure makes a lot of money every time he plays the religion card.

Baruch

US Covid News:

"Six States Declare Marijuana Dispensaries "Essential Businesses", Exempting Them From Lockdown" ... yep

"96-0 in the United States Senate. Congratulations AMERICA!" - the Little Guy bailout.  Beware anytime both parties agree ;-)

PS ... "SENATE UNANIMOUSLY APPROVES EMERGENCY STIMULUS, DEMOCRATS WILL VOTE FRIDAY AND MIGHT DELAY VOTE" ... You must first have a sex change, become a Dolezal African-American, and a Democrat ... or no money for you ... bwahah.

Non-US Covid News:

"China Just Sent 150,000 Test Kits To Prague And 80% Of Them Didn't Work" ... about as reliable as their Covid statistics.

"Italian Mayor Threatens To Send "Police With Flamethrowers" To Graduation Parties" ... the tassles on the square hats catch fire too easily.

"French Local Official Bans Sales Of All Alcohol During COVID-19 Lockdown" ... saving all the wine for himself and his friends?

"Rio's Favela Gangs Impose Strict Curfews To Fight Spread Of "Disease Of The Rich"" ... difficult times if the gangs are law abiding.

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on March 25, 2020, 11:58:49 PM
So looks like in wake of all this, Disney's stocks are plummeting. Both surprising and funny, since you'd think a company as huge as Disney would have a contingency plan in place for something like this, rather then depending on physical locations that needed to be closed.

It's funny seen as how they've been buying out everything for years now, but now shits hit the fan, they can't hold themselves above water.

I just wonder if when apple buys them their change Mickey mouses ears into apple logos
I noticed when I looked at my sites to see what movies were playing this week (I already knew theaters were closed, but I wanted to see what was happening at the sites), they are offering current movies via streaming to your home at a ghastly $20 per movie, when I have been paying under  $7 or $8 for a Tuesday afternoon ticket.  I didn't notice if any of these were Disney films or not, and I'm not sure what company was streaming them, but they were advertised at the theater site as if the theater was doing it.

This seems odd, because I was once told that something like 90+% of the price for a ticket goes to Hollywood, and the theaters have to make a profit by charging egregious prices for popcorn.  This makes me feel better about the theaters, and but disgusted with Hollywood. It makes theaters a privately funded venture to provide Hollywood a venue to show their films for free.  OK as long as theaters can profit, good for them, but it sounds like Hollywood (or Disney) is screwing everyone, even fellow capitalists.

The idea of home streaming makes sense, especially with the advent of HD projectors and massive screens in home theaters, although one does have to dedicate part of the house to that entertainment, or ideally, build a new home with a dedicated theater (which would arguably be the biggest room in the whole house).  But 20 bucks for a movie, while supplying your own costly venue for Hollywood to show you their latest reboot of a 3 year old film....  I dunno.  It calls for a revolt, maybe a bloody revolution.  I love movies, but I hate feeling like I'm getting fucked.  But then we're all being fucked, whether it's by your telephone company or your bank.

I was going to include "or your gas station, but today I saw gas locally selling for $1.59/gal, a price I haven't seen in 50 years.  We live in interesting times.  Is it the end of times?

Kentucky BP Station with $0.99 Gas Prices Sells Out Almost Immediately  March 19, 2020

Sal1981

Now more than 80k known cases in the U.S., up by 14k cases since yesterday.

The exponential growth, so far, isn't slowing down, quite the opposite. The graph for the inflection point (when there will be less cases than previous day) is unknown so far.

Munch

County police are following and trying to shame dog walkers for taking their dogs to open parklands and fields away from the public areas.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JbvWniXcNhA

Lot of people are pissed off, since this doesn't violate any rules, plus dogs need to get exercise

I'd say their being more responsible, by putting their dog in a car and driving to an unpopulated area. Meanwhile the police are only half arsing it when it comes to malls and shopping centres

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on March 26, 2020, 04:44:29 PM
Now more than 80k known cases in the U.S., up by 14k cases since yesterday.

The exponential growth, so far, isn't slowing down, quite the opposite. The graph for the inflection point (when there will be less cases than previous day) is unknown so far.

There are all the people with it who haven't been tested yet.  And all the people with it who have been tested.  A medical technician woman, dropped dead at home, in Atlanta Georgia.  She had no symptoms.  Autopsy showed she had Covid.  Some people outside of China may have had Covid since December, because China hid the problem, then failed to lock down their airports etc to prevent Chinese and others in China, from leaving.

So part of the growth in cases, is because it is growing.  Another part is due to the fact that there is a lot more testing now than a month ago.

Current US growth of fatalities ...

Mar 21 - 301 total US fatalities

Mar 25 - 935 total US fatalities (+634 in 4 days)

So still basically tripling every 3 days ... so expect 2800 total US fatalities by end of Mar 28.

"In Stunning Show Of Hypocrisy, China Shuts All Borders To Foreigners Over Virus Fears" ... they should have done this to their own people, Jan 1.

In other news, China guilty of buying up all the medical supplies in Australia/N America in January/February while Western governments were asleep at the wheel.  China didn't have to horde TP because ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Numberphile did a vid on infection/recovery rate of diseases in general yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6nLfCbAzgo