News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Shiranu on March 24, 2020, 04:24:28 PM
He is actually an eight year old in a 70-something year old body. Christ above.

On the bright side: Stock market went up in expectation of a stimulus bill. Here's to hoping the bill is actually intending to help the people and not lines the rich man's pocket while the rest of the country burns, because if the people stay unemployed for too long and the government keeps on playing games... no one is going to win from that.

Still, it looks like the president has chosen that mass death and illness is the best choice. Perhaps that's not 100% wrong, at this point... but I still hope no one actually takes that seriously and listens to him. I'm not going to hold my breath on that though.

Trump is a businessman, so the idea of people not working is something I'm sure he finds personally frustrating. He also is very aware of how this crisis can completely undermine his re-election. For example, even though he has been speaking publically he has not been able to control the media and the narrative as he has in the past. People are looking towards the experts (finally) rather than him for guidance. I work in healthcare, so I'm biased towards the wellness of individuals. Still, I think helping businesses survive and avoiding a global depression is something that needs to be a priority. What is the best way to minimize the economic impact of this pandemic? I have no idea.

Baruch

"Bill Gates says US missed chance to avoid coronavirus shutdown, businesses should stay closed" ... Event 201 last October.  He also owns the "legacy seeds" for all important plants, put in a cold vault somewhere in Greenland (to he can be god after the apocalypse).

If you avoided all action, that would ever benefit anyone, then all policy must hurt all people equally (or it is unfair) .. that is called ... death.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"Tlaib wants to hand out debit cards during coronavirus, mint trillion-dollar coins to cover cost" ... immediate issue of debit cards isn't a bad idea, except for the indigent who have no bank account.  The trillion-dollar coin idea is economic ignorance ... and a Democrat meme ...

https://www.businessinsider.com/obama-mint-trillion-dollar-coin-scariest-night-debt-ceiling-2017-1

The US dollar is based on three things ... the gold in Ft Knox (which hasn't been rehypothecated ... is there any left?), the price of oil (that has crashed), and the ability of the Federal government to tax present and future generations.  The President, declaring some object, as collateral for the National Debt ... is magic tree wishes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

I predict a war on the middle east after this is over, or wherever the oil is.
Hows Greenland and its unexplored terrain these days
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

trdsf

Wow, apparently Texas Republicans finally got jealous enough of the Oval Orifice's lunacy to step up their game: Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick suggests old people should be willing to just die in order to save the American economy.  Credit where it's due, he even volunteered:

Quote from: Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick (R-TX)
No one reached out to me and said, ‘As a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival in exchange for keeping the America that America loves for its children and grandchildren?’ And if that is the exchange, I’m all in.

Don't you just love those Republican pro-life family values?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Sal1981

Lots of Covid-19 takes on YouTube nowadays, and I see that political commentators are lying through their teeth about who's lying about what. Quite the show, really.

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 24, 2020, 05:42:19 PM
Trump is a businessman, so the idea of people not working is something I'm sure he finds personally frustrating. He also is very aware of how this crisis can completely undermine his re-election. For example, even though he has been speaking publically he has not been able to control the media and the narrative as he has in the past. People are looking towards the experts (finally) rather than him for guidance. I work in healthcare, so I'm biased towards the wellness of individuals. Still, I think helping businesses survive and avoiding a global depression is something that needs to be a priority. What is the best way to minimize the economic impact of this pandemic? I have no idea.

A broken clock is right twice a day.

Shiranu

QuoteHe also is very aware of how this crisis can completely undermine his re-election.

Maybe, but...

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/3/24/21192409/coronavirus-pandemic-trump-approval-rating-polls

Multiple polls, from various biases, are all finding Trump's poll numbers jumping by nearly double-digit percentages. I realise this is still the early days of the pandemic, and it's going to get a lot worse, but if people find that bumbling mess appealing now... I fear that harsher times might make them even more fanatical, even if he does lose some mass appeal. Don't need mass appeal to do a lot of damage when you have your own personality cult willing to hurt people they disagree with.

And let's not pretend it's not a cult of personality... he has surrounded himself with yes-men who show unwavering loyalty, with even the smallest disagreement with him enough to have you removed from your position (regardless of how competent you might be). No one can tell him no, they have to play all sorts of games to get what needs to be done done.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

From the article above...

QuoteFor instance â€" according to YouGov’s data â€" 91 percent of Republicans see the president as handling the coronavirus crisis well, while 54 percent of independents and only 22 percent of Democrats feel the same.

91% of Republicans polled thought he is handling it well. If that is not blind fanaticism, I don't know what is and anyone with even the slightest of concern about even pretending to maintain the illusion of democracy should find that worrying. The individual, on both sides (but particularly on the right) is irrelevant; what the party wants, the party gets. And the party is not the people voting, it's the businessmen and lobbyists who line the politician's checkbooks.

One would hope this is a wake-up call to Americans, but it really doesn't seem to be. Politics as we have done them are done; they don't work and the world will only progressively inch closer to tearing itself apart. We can either make that transition smoothly or harshly, but the chance for a smooth change in policy is running out.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Baruch on March 24, 2020, 05:46:27 PM
He also owns the "legacy seeds" for all important plants, put in a cold vault somewhere in Greenland (to he can be god after the apocalypse).

It isn't in Greenland. It is in an abandoned coal mine on the island of Spitsbergen in the Svalbard archipelago, and it's in trouble. Climate change has affected Svalbard more than most places. The temperature there has risen about 5C in the last 60 years. It is warmer than they planned for, and they are having to use a lot more energy to keep it as cold as they need it to be. That costs money that isn't in the planned budget. Gates and other rich people/foundations/corporations have donated tens of millions of dollars to the project, but they are still having trouble paying the bills. Gates doesn't own the seeds either. The Global Crop Diversity Trust that manages the vault is a UN organization.

It was some Norwegian climatologist at the bar in the Radisson Blu Polar Hotel in Longyearbyen that first told me about global warming some 20ish years ago.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on March 24, 2020, 06:03:22 PM
I predict a war on the middle east after this is over, or wherever the oil is.
Hows Greenland and its unexplored terrain these days

The nut cases think that the price of oil will go below zero (goes with the idea that banks can charge negative interest).  So yes, between Iran, Iraq, Russia, SA, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman ... all of which depend on the price of oil ... there is a need for a fire sale of excess producers.  Not our North American frackers of course, let the ME burn.  SA just shut down another coup attempt, without killing random music fans in Las Vegas or dismembering a journalist.  So an improvement.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Typical.

Liberty University welcomes back students despite coronavirus

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/liberty-university-welcomes-back-students-despite-coronavirus/ar-BB11DUVF?ocid=spartandhp

Liberty University welcomed its students back to campus this week, despite explicit social distancing guidelines from both the White House and the state of Virginia amid the coronavirus outbreak. ...

Falwell has given voice to conspiracy theories about the coronavirus. Earlier in the month while on Fox News he said, "You remember the North Korean leader promised us a Christmas present for America? Back in December. Could it be they got together with China and this is that present? I don't know. But it really is something strange going on."...

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on March 24, 2020, 07:30:30 PM
Wow, apparently Texas Republicans finally got jealous enough of the Oval Orifice's lunacy to step up their game: Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick suggests old people should be willing to just die in order to save the American economy.  Credit where it's due, he even volunteered:

Don't you just love those Republican pro-life family values?

I agree.  However I think old = anyone over 20.  Do it for the children ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on March 24, 2020, 08:08:55 PM
Lots of Covid-19 takes on YouTube nowadays, and I see that political commentators are lying through their teeth about who's lying about what. Quite the show, really.

Still on the Google/CIA v-chat app?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.