News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on March 20, 2020, 06:10:06 PM
Well I just spent the afternoon where I didn't want to be. In the emergency room. I chopped the end of my finger off with the table saw. The good news is the place was practically abandoned. Just one other person in the waiting room that walked in right in front of me. The bad news is she had a nasty cough and was there because she was worried about having Covid-19. I was wearing a N-95 mask for the dust while I was working and didn't take the damn thing off until I got back home. The first thing I did when I got home was strip in the garage, put my cloths in a trash bag, carried them straight to washer, then took a long shower. Hopefully I don't die...
That fucking sucks, man.

Stay safe.

Sal1981

... and here's some more dark, satirical humour from Jreg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvNwojDx3aE

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on March 20, 2020, 06:31:33 PM
That was bizarre.

Trump could have handled himself better, but the reporters are sensationalists looking to hype people up with fear in order to sell papers, let's not pretend either were moral crusaders here.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on March 20, 2020, 06:34:25 PM
Trump could have handled himself better, but the reporters are sensationalists looking to hype people up with fear in order to sell papers, let's not pretend either were moral crusaders here.

I'm not even going to say your wrong, but when the question is literally...

"What would you tell people who are afraid?"

And your response is...

"How DARE you ask me that question?"

there is literally only one side that is wrong in that equation.

And given how non-serious the media was taking the coronavirus until literally only a week or so ago, I don't think I would say they have been fear-mongering this situation. If anything, they didn't spark enough fear.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Will martial law lead to the mass arrest of Democrats?  Fighting the Commander-in-Chief during a war-like emergency is ... a bad idea.  In the US; Congress, the WH and the governors can all declare emergencies ... though historically Congress and the WH have always done this conjoined.

In France, President Macron is less powerful than the American President, but more powerful than his PM.  In GB, the PM is more powerful than the ceremonial positions (Speaker of the House of Commons etc), but usually isn't the C-in-C ... the Minister of Defense is (though Churchill uniquely combined both positions in himself during WW II).

Yes, sensationalism is bad, but normal.  But under emergency powers it is sedition to spread rumors, which is a felony.  This was hard enough in an era of newspapers and magazines, but we are way beyond that now.  This is why President Obama, just in case, instituted an Internet kill-switch.  The usual suspects are probably itching to exercise that, just to see if it works or not.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on March 20, 2020, 06:46:13 PM
I'm not even going to say your wrong, but when the question is literally...

"What would you tell people who are afraid?"

And your response is...

"How DARE you ask me that question?"

there is literally only one side that is wrong in that equation.

And given how non-serious the media was taking the coronavirus until literally only a week or so ago, I don't think I would say they have been fear-mongering this situation. If anything, they didn't spark enough fear.

I don't rely on the MSM.  Bannon's daily channel (radio and Youtube, broadcast in multiple languages, including directly into China) has had exclusive daily pandemic coverage from Jan 28.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Munch, the orange asshole is supposed to be a leader and a leader has to answer questions like those--that's his job.  Well, supposed to be his job--we all know that the orange asshole has one job and that is to plunder this country as much as he possibly can.  I guess we can also see that he has two other sub-jobs--dismantle whatever Obama had built and destroy the media.  How is that reporter's question sensationalism?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Munch

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 20, 2020, 06:57:32 PM
Munch, the orange asshole is supposed to be a leader and a leader has to answer questions like those--that's his job.  Well, supposed to be his job--we all know that the orange asshole has one job and that is to plunder this country as much as he possibly can.  I guess we can also see that he has two other sub-jobs--dismantle whatever Obama had built and destroy the media.  How is that reporter's question sensationalism?

Look people want to be reassured thats true, right now people are scared and they need to hear things of encouragement. Trump in his own special way seem to be trying to deliver that, not that there was any guarantee what he was saying was honest, but even so, the last thing a newspaper should be publishing is sensationalist bullshit in order to hype up fear within people.

At first trump seemed to be be doing that, until he got triggered by the reporter, and now people are going to see their president reacting this way and it will just make things worse.

This is why I no longer buy newspapers

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 20, 2020, 06:57:32 PM

President Obama ... answered which questions regarding Swine Flu in 2010?

"Mike Pompeo announces closure of US-Mexico border" ... yeah!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on March 20, 2020, 07:06:51 PM
Look people want to be reassured thats true, right now people are scared and they need to hear things of encouragement. Trump in his own special way seem to be trying to deliver that, not that there was any guarantee what he was saying was honest, but even so, the last thing a newspaper should be publishing is sensationalist bullshit in order to hype up fear within people.

At first trump seemed to be be doing that, until he got triggered by the reporter, and now people are going to see their president reacting this way and it will just make things worse.

Trump has not been doing just that though.

I realise in Scotland you are (hopefully?) not bombarded with Trump clips on T.V. every hour and don't have your shows interrupted for his press conferences, but up until a few days ago he was saying this was all a Democrat Hoax to hurt his popularity. Then he started blaming the medical communities lack of resources on Obama. Then he...

It's literally a laundry list of just, "Someone else's fault! Someone else's responsibility! I don't know, I think things are going well!". He listened to one of the top medical professionals in the nation explain how things are going to exponentially worse... and literally 5 seconds later starts saying, "Yeah, so like he said... your going to see in a few days the numbers go to zero. Really amazing. Really amazing."

He said on national television that he didn't want to help the victims aboard cruise ships, and this is in his own words, because it would hurt his ratings when the number of American cases would more than double in one day. He did say he would let them disembark because the experts said it was the smart thing to do, but if it was up to him they would be kept on the ship.

Every press conference, every day... he stammers and contradicts what the experts around him says. The state department has multiple times had to go back and say, "Yes, this is what he said... but this is what we are ACTUALLY doing.".

He makes fucking George Bush Jr. look like an orator on the level of JFK or FDR, for christ's sake.

Let me put that into even better perspective... I am actually REALLY starting to like Mike Pence because, for all his theocratic flaws, he actually seems like a competent adult when put next to Trump.

Again, I realise you are probably exposed to just the few positive sound clips where he actually manages to stay on topic long enough to say something important... but for people who have to actually live here and see the entire thing, not just the soundbytes, he is off the fucking rails. You watch him stand behind the experts making this face of, "Wow... this is boring. Cant I just go golf and let you guys handle it?" or his constant interrupting of professionals to which they then have to clarify that what he said was not true (while walking a tight rope of not offending him) and it's about as close to the polar opposite of "leadership" that you can get.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Yes, Hillary is a goddess ... not!  Biden is senile ... yes!  Rahm Emanuel "Never Let A Good Crisis Go To Waste", son of Mossad father.

"Israel Debates 'Total Suspension Of Individual Freedom' In Knesset Intel Hearing" .. neo-Cons and neo-Libs may die from the blue-balls ..

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Munch on March 20, 2020, 07:06:51 PM

That the 'Most Powerful Leader' of the world can be so easily 'triggered' by a reporter doing his job speaks volumes--and none of it good .  Yes, people want to be reassured--and they want to be told what to do and why to do it.  Trump has never delivered on  any of that.  He has been all of his life an orange asshole and he has not changed.  And he is not a smart person--clever and cunning when it comes to his own welfare, but not in any other way.  It is the job of a free press to get to the bottom of things--to find the truth.  With trump there is no truth one can rely on, for it changes with each and every sentence he utters and tweets.  From my point of view, the press has not done it's job --it's been way too easy on the orange asshole.  And in this situation, questions dealing with the virus needs to be answered daily--and the orange asshole cares nothing about this country.  The press should never let that slide, but hold him to his word and report accurately his actions.  From my point of view, trump has made this crisis what it is and has not made me feel anything but more fearful about it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

The same political nerds do what they always do ;-)

On US Covid news ...

"IRS Moves Tax-Filing-Day From April 15 To July 15, Mnuchin Says" ... as previously reported.

On non-US Covid news ...

"Martial Law France: Citizens Forced To Fill Out Form Every Time They Leave Home" ... so goes the mother country of the French revolution.  Guillotines next?

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on March 20, 2020, 08:02:10 PM
Trump has not been doing just that though.

I realise in Scotland you are (hopefully?) not bombarded with Trump clips on T.V. every hour and don't have your shows interrupted for his press conferences, but up until a few days ago he was saying this was all a Democrat Hoax to hurt his popularity. Then he started blaming the medical communities lack of resources on Obama. Then he...

It's literally a laundry list of just, "Someone else's fault! Someone else's responsibility! I don't know, I think things are going well!". He listened to one of the top medical professionals in the nation explain how things are going to exponentially worse... and literally 5 seconds later starts saying, "Yeah, so like he said... your going to see in a few days the numbers go to zero. Really amazing. Really amazing."

He said on national television that he didn't want to help the victims aboard cruise ships, and this is in his own words, because it would hurt his ratings when the number of American cases would more than double in one day. He did say he would let them disembark because the experts said it was the smart thing to do, but if it was up to him they would be kept on the ship.

Every press conference, every day... he stammers and contradicts what the experts around him says. The state department has multiple times had to go back and say, "Yes, this is what he said... but this is what we are ACTUALLY doing.".

He makes fucking George Bush Jr. look like an orator on the level of JFK or FDR, for christ's sake.

Let me put that into even better perspective... I am actually REALLY starting to like Mike Pence because, for all his theocratic flaws, he actually seems like a competent adult when put next to Trump.

Again, I realise you are probably exposed to just the few positive sound clips where he actually manages to stay on topic long enough to say something important... but for people who have to actually live here and see the entire thing, not just the soundbytes, he is off the fucking rails. You watch him stand behind the experts making this face of, "Wow... this is boring. Cant I just go golf and let you guys handle it?" or his constant interrupting of professionals to which they then have to clarify that what he said was not true (while walking a tight rope of not offending him) and it's about as close to the polar opposite of "leadership" that you can get.

I can understand what your feeling. Like I said, at this time, people want assurance, what people are looking for more then anything is a way to defend from this invisible threat and how much their lives will be upended, or made worse by it, so what people want is to hear those in charge and with power have some kind of strategy, each country leader needing to be commander and chief.

So I can understand how frustrating it must me have him on stage. I've often just seen the light side of trump being in power because of political reasons and todays social demographic and just how someone like him getting in power like that made everything into a circus act, like a bad parody, so from afar it just became something to laugh about.
But, at this time, this very serious point we're all facing around the world, he isn't the kind of person who would ever have been ready for this kind of event. Not many leaders could have been, but some have shown more competency then he did. I at first was reluctant about Boris in his handling over it, but he's actually starting to push things forward and I'm thankful for that.

I do think if this happened several years ago you'd be in a better position with obama in how he'd handle it. After all something like handling a country at a time like this, its not just a case of giving some guff words to the press, its about making decisions rapidly to protect people, and trump has just dragged his hails over this.

I dunno what hillary would have done, maybe little better, maybe little worse, who can say. But at it stands I can understand what people are feeling this way, I think if May was still prime minister here I'd be feeling more unsettled, since her track record of decision making was awful.

Anyway, was never defending trump, I was just looking at both angles in terms of the press and how they operated, and both just seemed like a circus act to me. Maybe at the end of all this trumps handling of it will motivate people all the more into voting against him, so in a messed up way their is one good thing to come from it.