Movie Ratings/Religious censorship/V for Vendetta rant

Started by BlackL1ght, February 25, 2013, 03:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackL1ght

So, I'm in a club at my university where we meet every week, watch a movie and discuss it afterwards. This morning I made this mistake of suggesting we watch V for Vendetta. I suggested this thinking it would fit in great for the alternate reality theme that we've been doing (A series of unfortunate events, Adam's family, Troll hunter, etc). Unfortunately, being at a religious school, that was apparently a bad idea. The president of the club (which also has many other activities other than the movie group) responded on the forum to tell me that the movie has violence and nudity in it. I didn't think there was nudity, but I backed off anyway, simply stating that I didn't think there was nudity. The president responded with a link to the parents guide rating on sex for the movie and told me it wasn't "BYU appropriate". The nudity in the movie is corpses being thrown into a mass grave. WTF? I pointed this out and compared it to holocaust films (which those scenes are based off of). Her response:
QuoteIt doesn't matter in this instance XD I am aware of the themes of the movie.

Thanks for your movie ideas and interest.

Dismissed.

It seems to me that religions try to ignore the world at large. They don't look at the things that are really happening. To censor a movie like this is really to deny the existence of the ideas involved. Sure, the LDS church has a ban on all R movies, not just this one, but why is that? No one watches an R movie to jack off (and especially not to corpses). No one is about to stab anyone just because that's what V does. There's not going to be insurrection. It's purely for keeping the ideas out of people's heads. The LGBT message that is given parallel to the story could change opinions I think. But what is wrong with thinking about these things, and gaining different perspectives?

Well, I guess the answer is clear. If people don't hear other perspectives, fewer people think about them. They think only about their own ideas. And as a result, they stay in the church, and the leaders get their tithing. It's disgusting, it really is.
Vi veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Plu

You should tell them that V is modelled after Guy Fawkes, who is famous for trying to blow up parliament in an attempt to return England to a land ruled by god and church.

That might convince them.

BlackL1ght

Quote from: "Plu"You should tell them that V is modelled after Guy Fawkes, who is famous for trying to blow up parliament in an attempt to return England to a land ruled by god and church.

That might convince them.
Yeah, I get the feeling the pres has seen it though. Not to mention that the way the movie goes, it's not really positive towards religion in any way.

Plu

QuoteYeah, I get the feeling the pres has seen it though.

I wouldn't be surprised if everyone there has already seen it but will deny it until the end of days towards their fellow church goers.

BlackL1ght

Quote from: "Plu"
QuoteYeah, I get the feeling the pres has seen it though.

I wouldn't be surprised if everyone there has already seen it but will deny it until the end of days towards their fellow church goers.
Haha yeah seriously. They probably just block the message out, too. I talked to my uber-religious friend about it once, and he said he thought it was weird, and that was it. Of course, he turned out to be kind of an ass anyway...

Seabear

That's what you get for going to a thought-policed "university" like BYU, which is not so much concerned with teaching you HOW to think, but rather WHAT to think.
"There is a saying in the scientific community, that every great scientific truth goes through three phases. First, people deny it. Second, they say it conflicts with the Bible. Third, they say they knew it all along."

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

BlackL1ght

Quote from: "Seabear"That's what you get for going to a thought-policed "university" like BYU, which is not so much concerned with teaching you HOW to think, but rather WHAT to think.
And that's why I'm getting the fuck out ASAP. This is my last semester here.

Seabear

Quote from: "BlackL1ght"
Quote from: "Seabear"That's what you get for going to a thought-policed "university" like BYU, which is not so much concerned with teaching you HOW to think, but rather WHAT to think.

Good for you. The farther and faster you run from those deluded bastards and their shamelessly fabricated "religion", the better.
"There is a saying in the scientific community, that every great scientific truth goes through three phases. First, people deny it. Second, they say it conflicts with the Bible. Third, they say they knew it all along."

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

BlackL1ght

Quote from: "Seabear"
Quote from: "BlackL1ght"

Good for you. The farther and faster you run from those deluded bastards and their shamelessly fabricated "religion", the better.
Agreed. The depth of the mormon scheme is staggering.

Bobby_Ouroborus

I suggest in lieu of suggesting V for Vendetta that you suggest a more family oriented film that will be fun for everyone and seemingly hold no subversive message whatsoever. Because what that person who is rejecting your request is rejecting is the subversive message.

Suggest they show: Josie and the Pussycats. Trust me.

commonsense822

May I suggest that you ask to show Carl Sagan's Cosmos: Edited for Rednecks
[youtube:31zdn20u]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI9ImScQGAo[/youtube:31zdn20u]

SGOS

Quote from: "BlackL1ght"The president of the club (which also has many other activities other than the movie group) responded on the forum to tell me that the movie has violence and nudity in it. I didn't think there was nudity, but I backed off anyway.
They would have banned that movie with or without the alleged nudity.  Think about it.  It depicts a vile religion as an arm of a corrupt dystopian government.  While I never thought it specifically singled out Mormonism, there may be a Mormon or two that would watch that movie and see a similarity there in all religions, start to question his own faith, and leave the church.

It's a great movie.  I own it and have watched it many times. I get a bit bored during Evey's contrived incarceration, but the rest of the movie is wonderful and still sends shivers of excitement down my spine.  I wandered into a movie theater while I was bored one afternoon and saw V for Vendetta without any previous knowledge.  I walked out blown away.

Fidel_Castronaut

email hello.jpeg and an apology letter detailing why it was wrong of you to suggest watching such an evil and hedonistic film.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!