Drinkin and smokin and babies

Started by aitm, April 03, 2020, 01:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

For some reason this morning, I woke up curious to wondering what the real statistics were relating drinkin and smokin to babies health.

After, admittedly, a half assed perusal of some websites, I could not find many with real statistics....but a lot of "its bad". Whereas, the population at large have general deformities-of various kinds- in babies about 3% of the population, the only number I saw related to drinkin was at .03% being something aligned to being "bad".

Now being lazy that I am, I simply could not dig in and look for said truths when I have an entire forum of near genius mother fuckers who probably already have said info right tucked away in their formidable noggins.

So, realizing that for many...many years..women drinked and smoked while pregnant, other than the looks of it being bad....and assumptions...is their any real statistics that prove such a claim?

Now again....admitting to all, that I am being lazy, and writing this at work....making me even more the slacker and even more likely that I won't read your link....anybody got any real stats? You don't even need to back it up...just curious if anyone is actually aware of any.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3312313/

Took me 2 minutes to find this via Google.  Really?

My birth mother undoubtably drank and smoked back in the day.  All the young women did.  That is why I look like the Elephant Man today ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

What part of “lazy” did your in utero smoked hazed brain did you not cognitate. No real long term damage seems to be found.
But then again....I didn’t read it all cause I am lazy. Sheesh. You coulda made up stats and I woulda said, oh..okay then.....really? Sheesh.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on April 03, 2020, 02:10:32 PM
What part of “lazy” did your in utero smoked hazed brain did you not cognitate. No real long term damage seems to be found.
But then again....I didn’t read it all cause I am lazy. Sheesh. You coulda made up stats and I woulda said, oh..okay then.....really? Sheesh.

Science is White.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SoldierofFortune

When mother drinks and smokes, baby is born as an addict.

Natural born addict

Baruch

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on April 08, 2020, 11:37:48 AM
When mother drinks and smokes, baby is born as an addict.

Natural born addict

Drug abusers (not targeting you) have a medical problem.  Denial of this reality doesn't help anyone.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: Baruch on April 08, 2020, 11:53:05 AM
Drug abusers (not targeting you) have a medical problem.  Denial of this reality doesn't help anyone.

Of course it is a medical problem that needs to be resolved.
Substance use disorder,
whose spectrum extends from just abusing to problem using to heavy dependency,
is a brain disease: a mental illness.

But detoxification is just the first phase of treatment. We know that there is no cure. Once addict, always addict. Treatment is different from cure and its way is to solve the underlying psycological problem and to learn how to live without drugs.

trdsf

Coming at it from a child protective services viewpoint, the greater concern (assuming the child is otherwise healthy) is that an impaired parent cannot parent properly.  If mom and dad are getting wrecked every night, what happens when their child has an emergency and they're too drunk or stoned to recognize it?

So regardless of whether the child was affected in utero, there are considerable concerns about addict parents raising (or, more likely, failing to raise) a child.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan