Why do SOME atheists think they are special because they're an atheist...?

Started by twozerozeroonefive, October 25, 2019, 09:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 26, 2019, 01:21:24 PM

Let me get this straight. You think the Creator of the Universe cares personally about your life, and ...
And let me add to that ... "and created you in his own image, not like a dog or a horse, but in HIS image, a primate that closely resembles an ape.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on October 26, 2019, 05:59:42 PM
And let me add to that ... "and created you in his own image, not like a dog or a horse, but in HIS image, a primate that closely resembles an ape.
And your god has an appendix and a foreskin...
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 26, 2019, 05:59:42 PM

Old news.  Xenophanes - circa 500 BCE ... African people would describe their gods as being like them, and if animals had religion, their gods would look like them.

“The Ethiops say that their gods are flat-nosed and black, While the Thracians say that theirs have blue eyes and red hair. Yet if cattle or horses or lions had hands and could draw, And could sculpt like men, then the horses would draw their gods Like horses, and cattle like cattle; and each they would shape Bodies of gods in the likeness, each kind, of their own.”

Xenophanes was the first European monotheist, not atheist.  Diagoras of Melos was the first European atheist - circa 450 BCE.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on October 26, 2019, 07:04:12 PM
People have high opinions of themselves.

This is nothing new.

Depends on the drug.  Downers don't do that ;-(

Some gods were made of Pentelic marble ... those arrogant artists!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on October 26, 2019, 08:42:04 PM
Depends on the drug.  Downers don't do that ;-(

Some gods were made of Pentelic marble ... those arrogant artists!

Many downers do. I should know, I used to be one. And my opinion of myself was both extremely low and extremely high, concurrently.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on October 27, 2019, 05:52:12 AM
Many downers do. I should know, I used to be one. And my opinion of myself was both extremely low and extremely high, concurrently.

Bipolar?  Or watching Ingmar Bergman Swedish movies?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on October 27, 2019, 06:14:46 AM
Bipolar?  Or watching Ingmar Bergman Swedish movies?

No, just an angsty teenager. I didn't like myself come puberty, like many kids don't. I didn't fit in. I was, in hindsight, annoying. And as a de fence mechanism, I blamed everyone but myself, because I certainly wasn't the problem, no sir-ee. I was smart, special, incredibly kind, creative and attention had to be on me at all time because who the hell could possibly more worthwhile than me? I was an unrecognized genius, I knew, and I bettered the world just by being myself. And they'd all come to see that.

Fuck, I hate puberty-me so bad.

It's easier to build up your vision of yourself than it is to actually face yourself and try to improve on your faults.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on October 27, 2019, 06:55:10 AM
No, just an angsty teenager. I didn't like myself come puberty, like many kids don't. I didn't fit in. I was, in hindsight, annoying. And as a de fence mechanism, I blamed everyone but myself, because I certainly wasn't the problem, no sir-ee. I was smart, special, incredibly kind, creative and attention had to be on me at all time because who the hell could possibly more worthwhile than me? I was an unrecognized genius, I knew, and I bettered the world just by being myself. And they'd all come to see that.

Fuck, I hate puberty-me so bad.

It's easier to build up your vision of yourself than it is to actually face yourself and try to improve on your faults.

Yep, pretty much the US if the US was a teenager ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Why do SOME Christians think they are special because they're a Christian?

Why do SOME Muslims think they are special because they're a Muslim?

Why do SOME neo pagans think they are special because they're a pagan?

Because no matter what walk of life people come from, a few of them are always going to be dicks.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Feral Atheist

I base my life, views, life decisions, etc., based on facts, reason, and logic, vs. ancient superstitions and irrational fears of non-existent deities.

It is just a saner approach to life.
In dog beers I've only had one.

Baruch

Quote from: Feral Atheist on October 28, 2019, 12:48:56 PM
I base my life, views, life decisions, etc., based on facts, reason, and logic, vs. ancient superstitions and irrational fears of non-existent deities.

It is just a saner approach to life.

An unexamined myth, isn't worth believing in.  But don't say that in Ancient Athens.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I think that guy isn't coming back.  I never know if we should keep the thread alive on our own (which often happens), or just be glad he's gone and go back to talking about movies.

My Dad took me to a soapbox derby one time when I was little.  It was held in a Chicago suburb using the incline of a new bridge over one of the then new expressways, which were the rage in the late 50s.  The bridge was ideal because it had the desired slope, and being brand new, it was perfectly smooth and wide enough so that maybe six cars could race at a time.  It was just home made cars made to strict mechanical specifications that rolled down a hill, but the good part was that some of them were works of art, like some designer from Detroit showed up to do the body designs for lucky kids.  As far as I know, there were no atheist kids racing, or if there were, they weren't crashing their cars into Christian kid's cars, or generally just being jerks.  But it was a Boy Scout event so no atheists would not have been allowed.  But that was a different era.  Today the kids would be doing drive by shootings from their little derby cars, and it would be open season on rival Boy Scout Troops.

ASTON MARTIN SOAPBOX RACER

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on October 26, 2019, 08:37:51 PM
Old news.  Xenophanes - circa 500 BCE ... African people would describe their gods as being like them, and if animals had religion, their gods would look like them.

“The Ethiops say that their gods are flat-nosed and black, While the Thracians say that theirs have blue eyes and red hair. Yet if cattle or horses or lions had hands and could draw, And could sculpt like men, then the horses would draw their gods Like horses, and cattle like cattle; and each they would shape Bodies of gods in the likeness, each kind, of their own.”

Xenophanes was the first European monotheist, not atheist.  Diagoras of Melos was the first European atheist - circa 450 BCE.

If giraffes worship a deity, you can be sure it has a very long neck.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman