News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Bear On the Trail

Started by SGOS, September 28, 2019, 05:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 02, 2019, 06:42:46 AM
When the y-donor was well into dementia he could still buy guns at the local shop. We know that on at least one occasion he bought one while wearing just his tighty-whitey and a t-shirt. The gun shop owner took his money. And there was no waiting period because "He was  a known customer."

In the good old days, farmers (KKK) could buy dynamite without license.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 02, 2019, 06:42:46 AM
When the y-donor was well into dementia he could still buy guns at the local shop. We know that on at least one occasion he bought one while wearing just his tighty-whitey and a t-shirt. The gun shop owner took his money. And there was no waiting period because "He was  a known customer."

Sounds bad. Hopefully didn't end bad.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Baruch on October 01, 2019, 12:03:21 PM
I expect you have to go to the Black Forest to find any dangerous animals.  I have coyotes at the edge of my town, raptors flying overhead, and puma less than 20 miles away, at times.

Mom just got back from a visit with the family at the farm where she grew up in the mountains of southeast Tennessee. Last year around this time the locals were commenting on how many black bear were wandering around. This year it is coyotes and feral hogs. The young and the old are afraid to go out. One of my cousins has shot 17 coyotes this year. 7 of them in his front yard. Another cousin was attacked by a feral hog he was trying to shoo out of his yard. He said it has been unusual to go a week without seeing at least one group of hogs somewhere close to the house this year.

We were discussing the merits of using bear spray against coyotes and hogs. Bears are thought to have to best sense of smell in the animal kigdom with the black bear we have in this part of the country at the top of the heap. Most dogs, I assume coyotes fall into this range, only have about 20-30% of the number of scent receptors a black bear has. I would assume pepper spray would be less effective on a coyote than a bear. Pigs have a stronger sense of smell than dogs so I would assume pepper spray would be more effective on a pig than a dog, but still less effective than it would be against a bear.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

SGOS

In my recent reading about bear spray, it said that the active ingredient in bear spray is 1-2%.  While in regular pepper spray, the kind used to subdue humans, is about 10%.  It's hard to believe, but the greater number of scent receptors in bears may explain why such a small amount is still effective.  For such a small amount of active ingredient, I do know what a small wiff carried back to me on errant current is like.  It's horrible.  I can't imagine inhaling something 10 times stronger.  This article accounts for the less amount of active ingredient by explaining its purpose is to repel, not to harm.  And there is no reason why an effective counter assault needs to add an element of harm to the process.

https://www.selfdefenseninja.com/bear-spray-vs-pepper-spray-whats-difference/

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: SGOS on October 04, 2019, 08:24:06 AM
In my recent reading about bear spray, it said that the active ingredient in bear spray is 1-2%.  While in regular pepper spray, the kind used to subdue humans, is about 10%.  It's hard to believe, but the greater number of scent receptors in bears may explain why such a small amount is still effective.  For such a small amount of active ingredient, I do know what a small wiff carried back to me on errant current is like.  It's horrible.  I can't imagine inhaling something 10 times stronger.  This article accounts for the less amount of active ingredient by explaining its purpose is to repel, not to harm.  And there is no reason why an effective counter assault needs to add an element of harm to the process.

https://www.selfdefenseninja.com/bear-spray-vs-pepper-spray-whats-difference/

I used to think the same thing, but (surprising to absofuckinglutely nobody) many pepper spray manufacturers can be quite deceiving in their advertising practices. The article you linked talked about OC percentages and Scoville Heat Units. It also said the only true measure of heat in a pepper spray was the amount of major capsaicinoids in the spray. It turns out that most of the big name bear sprays are just as hot or even hotter than most of the sprays marketed for use on two-legged predators.

Don’t Buy Pepper Spray Until You Read THIS!

And yes, the article I linked is from a pepper spray manufacturer's website, but the same information is available in other places including UDAP's site for their 3% MC sprays.

SGOS

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on October 06, 2019, 01:59:26 AM
I used to think the same thing, but (surprising to absofuckinglutely nobody) many pepper spray manufacturers can be quite deceiving in their advertising practices.
This is driving me nuts.  It's 3:00 AM and I went out to my truck to read the label on my Bear Spray.  First, it's not Sabre Brand.  It's Mace Brand. And according to the article, Sabre says they are the only ones you can trust.  So then I read the ingredients again, and it says, "Includes 1.1% Capsaicin and .9% related Capsaicins," making 2% which is also stated in the ingredients, and I have no idea what related Capsaicins are, in addition to the fact that I don't trust any manufacturer to honestly list their ingredients anyway.  According to your article 1.1% Capsaicin puts Mace Brand in the bear spray category level III.  What I wanted to buy was Counter Assault Brand (the one that I got a terrifying wiff of in Montana), but that doesn't seem to be available around here.  In fact Mace Brand was all that I could find.  I saw Counter Assault, Sabre, and Mace listed at amazon, where I try not to shop if at all possible.  Saber is the cheapest one there.  What brand do you use?  Now I'm going to bed and dream about bears.  Hopefully not.

Baruch

Mearly pissing off the bear further, might not be the best thing ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: SGOS on October 06, 2019, 03:12:12 AM
What brand do you use?  Now I'm going to bed and dream about bears.  Hopefully not.

I've only ever bought the large UDAP spray, but I would guess any of the EPA registered sprays would be fine. Does the Mace brand have an EPA registration number on the label?

SGOS

Yes, it has a registration number.  I just went out to the truck to check.  I'll continue to carry it.  I'll probably never have another bear encounter like that again, but I'm remembering the scandal when Gerber Baby Foods was selling flavored water and labeling it apple juice.  You can never be sure what's in a product, and the EPA isn't exactly the Consumer Protection Agency.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: SGOS on October 06, 2019, 01:46:58 PM
You can never be sure what's in a product, and the EPA isn't exactly the Consumer Protection Agency.

That's true, but at least the EPA has the bear's best interests in mind. Most of the designed for people sprays don't have anyone looking at them.