The Logic of Atheists vs. Theist Arguments

Started by Absolute_Agent, July 31, 2019, 05:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on August 02, 2019, 04:24:57 PM
That's what always bothered me.  It doesn't seem like it would be simple.  I never saw this explained in relation to a triangle as in the video, but what has bothered me is that the "c" in E=mc2 stands for "constant," or at least I was told this once, but in this case, the constant is the speed of light, which is not a constant.
I will accept that a relationship between the three exists, not because I know it, but because I have nothing of my own to offer, but can it be as simple as the expression implies?  I keep wondering if there isn't at the very minimum some added part to the expression, something like E=mc2 + 10 / 3.  Actually, I picture something much more complicated, but maybe that's enough to convey my thought.
Yes.  Unwarranted or not, I'm bothered by the same suspicion.

Speed of light in vacuum is constant.  It isn't when moving thru matter (or electrons down a wire) ... for photons it makes refraction possible.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 02, 2019, 05:26:52 PM
I expect aliens could find the concept of pi, and enumerate it in whatever system of numbers they use. But I seriously doubt they could ever reproduce, say, the Mona Lisa, or any other works of art humans have made.

The value of Pi depends on the number system in use, and the geometry of space the circle is in.  In decimal numbers, and in flat-2-D space, it has a given value.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 02, 2019, 06:34:31 PM
Well, I'm not emotionally wedded to the idea of the primacy of number, it's just a philosophical position.

Did Arithmetica (personification of math in the European Middle Ages) look sexy when she took her bridal gown off?  Hubba, hubba!

3 days of target rich environment ... y'all tired me out.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jagella

Quote from: Absolute_Agent on July 31, 2019, 05:16:05 PM
I would like to better understand why Atheists logically reject the idea of God.

If by "God" you mean a conscious agent with no imperfections, then the God of Christianity and other religions doesn't really fit so much of what we know to be true. The Christian god, for example, is said to have authored the Bible. If that god is perfect, then he wouldn't need a book at all much less a book as imperfect as the Bible. Since a perfect being cannot produce that which is imperfect (unless he does so deliberately), then the God of Christianity and the Bible cannot exist.

Absolute_Agent

Quote from: Jagella on August 03, 2019, 09:41:10 AM
If by "God" you mean a conscious agent with no imperfections, then the God of Christianity and other religions doesn't really fit so much of what we know to be true. The Christian god, for example, is said to have authored the Bible. If that god is perfect, then he wouldn't need a book at all much less a book as imperfect as the Bible. Since a perfect being cannot produce that which is imperfect (unless he does so deliberately), then the God of Christianity and the Bible cannot exist.
Thanks for your contribution!  Here's how I resolve that important dilemma logically:

God deliberately created us good but with the power of choice and the capability to choose evil.  When we chose evil we became less than perfect.  But this possibility was already planned for.  God actually wanted less than perfect beings to worship Him.  Why?  Did he need our worship?  No, He enjoys it though, and furthermore He knew, being Omniscient, that we would also enjoy it (immensely).  If you haven't believed in God yet you are like a seed waiting to sprout.  You have all the potential to flourish in the experience of God, it all hinges on your choice.  Shalom.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on August 02, 2019, 09:06:38 PM
The value of Pi depends on the number system in use, and the geometry of space the circle is in.  In decimal numbers, and in flat-2-D space, it has a given value.

Well I know that, and you know that, but somebody should tell the aliens!   LOL
God Not Found

aitm

Quote from: Absolute_Agent on August 03, 2019, 10:56:48 AM
Here's how I resolve that important dilemma logically:
Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

LOL. ole god also tells us in the babble that he threw a third of the stars to the earth...but hey... no logic or thinking involved there right? After all, those were really really really tiny stars......

LOLOL ...what a twit.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Blackleaf

Quote from: aitm on August 03, 2019, 02:30:50 PM
LOL. ole god also tells us in the babble that he threw a third of the stars to the earth...but hey... no logic or thinking involved there right? After all, those were really really really tiny stars......

LOLOL ...what a twit.

As an atheist who loves to tear the Bible apart, that passage in Revelation was clearly meant as symbolism. The dragon was Satan. When his tail swipes a third of the stars out of the sky, that symbolizes the angelic rebellion Satan supposedly led. This isn't left to interpretation, like most of Revelation's weird shit, but its meaning is stated pretty clearly. There's still plenty of stupid stuff to choose from in the Bible, though.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Unbeliever

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 03, 2019, 04:55:00 PM
There's still plenty of stupid stuff to choose from in the Bible, though.

Yeah, like a talking donkey! LOL
God Not Found

Blackleaf

Quote from: Absolute_Agent on August 03, 2019, 10:56:48 AM
Thanks for your contribution!  Here's how I resolve that important dilemma logically:

God deliberately created us good but with the power of choice and the capability to choose evil.  When we chose evil we became less than perfect.  But this possibility was already planned for.  God actually wanted less than perfect beings to worship Him.  Why?  Did he need our worship?  No, He enjoys it though, and furthermore He knew, being Omniscient, that we would also enjoy it (immensely).  If you haven't believed in God yet you are like a seed waiting to sprout.  You have all the potential to flourish in the experience of God, it all hinges on your choice.  Shalom.

Allow me to offer you a few trains of thought on the subject:

Premisis 1: God created humans to be good.
Premisis 2: 100% of humans are evil.
Conclusion: God failed, and his design was inherently flawed. A 100% failure rate is an absolute failure of a design.

Furthermore, if we're evil because we have free will, does God not have free will? If he does, what are the chances he would be the only one out of a countless number of people to be 100% good? Wouldn't it be much more reasonable to assume God, being a spirit with free will, would be just as evil as the rest of us?

Of course, if God is the one who gets to define what is good, then of course he is going to be the only good one. When you get to literally get away with murder because "I'm God," then calling yourself "good" is rather meaningless, isn't it?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

As an atheist who loves to tear the Bible apart, that passage in Revelation was clearly meant as symbolism. The dragon was Satan. When his tail swipes a third of the stars out of the sky, that symbolizes the angelic rebellion Satan supposedly led. This isn't left to interpretation, like most of Revelation's weird shit, but its meaning is stated pretty clearly. There's still plenty of stupid stuff to choose from in the Bible, though.
Quote from: Unbeliever on August 03, 2019, 04:57:47 PM
Yeah, like a talking donkey! LOL
I think a talking bush is even more absurd, but I admit, a talking donkey is bound to be funnier.  I'd expect a donkey to make wise cracks.  I mean, he's a donkey after all, so I would think he must have a sense of humor.  A talking bush isn't that funny, especially if he's on fire.  I'd expect him to be hopping around going, "Ooo!  Ouch!  Yowee!"  But no, he's calming giving orders.  I just don't believe it would happen that way.

Unbeliever

Well, when Balaam's ass was talking, Balaam didn't just say "That'll do, Donkey," like Shreck, instead he beat the poor thing nearly to death.
God Not Found

aitm

There is a verse in the OT as well and another in NT prior to Rev. if I recall. I always speak of the OT one because I know the Rev is the "dream"
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?