News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Did Jesus practice what he preached?

Started by Jagella, July 05, 2019, 09:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: aileron on August 12, 2019, 10:41:24 AM
At the risk of greatly oversimplifying, reductionism means that complex interactions up to and including human consciousness follow the same rules as simple interactions of fundamental particles. So for example we can describe and predict the behavior of a small collection of particles using Quantum Field Theory, often times using Path Integral Formulations devised by Richard Feynman. We can't use these techniques to describe and predict the behavior of a person, but it's not because somewhere up the chain from a few particles to a huge number of particles the particles start to behave differently. It's because the computational complexity is simply out of the question.

As a side note, in modern physics using terms like "prediction" needs a bit of explaining. Interactions between particles are probabilistic, not deterministic. This is not because of incomplete knowledge or computational complexity as is the case with the use of probability and statistics in domains like thermodynamics. The particles really behave probabilistically. So when discussing "prediction" the predictions are of the probability of future state given a present state.

That is the philosophy.  But there are problems with it (it is a philosophy, not science).  Philosophy only adds newer/better questions, it never provides answers.

Scientism is related, but one could follow "scientism" without being reductionist.  Scientism is also a philosophy.  It isn't the same as "current scientific method".

Epiphenomenalism is another.  Namely that by combining simple elements, if you have enough elements in complicated enough arrangement, that new qualitative things happen like life and consciousness.  This is also a philosophy, not a science.

Vitalism mostly is debunked, because organic molecules can be produced by non-organic means.  However the manner in which advanced cells came about, is missing, because they weren't fossilized.  That leaves an unavoidable pre-Cambrian gap.  But we can accept that living cells/flora/fauna exist, even if we don't fully understand them.  We won't get better info on this, unless we can extend exobiology to the newly discovered exoplanets.  With mind, there is "The Consciousness Problem".  The attempt is made, to skip over this problem (given that we don't have a lot of fossils details on brains) by assuming, that a computer program is conscious (AI).

The materialist argument for reductionism, scientism, epiphenomenalism ... is "there is no other choice".  Much like the arguments in favor of superstrings.

I definitely don't support reductionism (as a panacea).  I don't support in-organicism (rocks and cats are the same).  I don't support AI (other than as flawed algorithms for video game non-human players).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 12, 2019, 05:33:47 PM
And that they actually know less than people who watch no news at all.

If you avoid the news, you avoid both CIA and KGB brainwashing.  But you have a dirtier mind ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 12, 2019, 02:48:19 PM
That's probably true of most people who watch FUX Gnus.

CNN, for total fools.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 12, 2019, 05:30:34 PM
It has been demonstrated that the longer people watch faux the stupider they become.

But they are helped in Bible studies and cleaning their assault weapons.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aileron

Quote from: Baruch on August 12, 2019, 06:15:39 PM
That is the philosophy.  But there are problems with it (it is a philosophy, not science).

No, it's not. It's a scientific proposition. It's mathematically precise and makes quantifiable, testable predictions.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Baruch

Quote from: aileron on August 12, 2019, 06:45:32 PM
No, it's not. It's a scientific proposition. It's mathematically precise and makes quantifiable, testable predictions.

If by that, you mean the three items I listed, then I must respectfully disagree.  But that is philosophy for you ;-)

Current quantitative scientific method is very good at what it does.  But those other things are not.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aileron

Quote from: Baruch on August 12, 2019, 06:52:19 PM
If by that, you mean the three items I listed, then I must respectfully disagree.  But that is philosophy for you ;-)

Current quantitative scientific method is very good at what it does.  But those other things are not.

The "other things" like the so-called conscientiousness problem? It's probably only a problem because of our conceit. Many long-intractable scientific problems turned out to be a problem of conceit.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Baruch

Quote from: aileron on August 12, 2019, 07:07:07 PM
The "other things" like the so-called conscientiousness problem? It's probably only a problem because of our conceit. Many scientific problems were a problem of conceit.

Yes, materialists are expected to "talk down" humanity.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aileron

Quote from: Baruch on August 12, 2019, 07:09:11 PM
Yes, materialists are expected to "talk down" humanity.
Is-ought fallacy. Hume is waging a finger disapprovingly.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 12, 2019, 06:05:03 PM
Highjack not equal to kibitz.  Also I respond mostly, not initiate.  I am happy to add distraction to a string that has already gone astray.

Oh so now you even play God with this forum. That alone deserves a ban.

Cavebear

Quote from: aileron on August 12, 2019, 07:17:29 PM

I took an online philosophy survey a few years ago.  Not greatly to my surprise, I was 100% Kant and 75% Hume.  I just laugh reading modern philosophers.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2019, 09:01:55 PM
I took an online philosophy survey a few years ago.  Not greatly to my surprise, I was 100% Kant and 75% Hume.  I just laugh reading modern philosophers.

You know, that is a combination that tends toward spontaneous combustion?  Kant + Hume = a priori Scottish skepticism?  Might hurt your a posteriori if you do that ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: aileron on August 12, 2019, 07:17:29 PM

Haha ... good one.  Oh shit .. you weren't kidding?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 12, 2019, 07:23:00 PM
Oh so now you even play God with this forum. That alone deserves a ban.

Which is your only reason for returning, right?  Because as Professor ... you get to F anyone you disagree with?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 12, 2019, 11:17:08 PM
Which is your only reason for returning, right?  Because as Professor ... you get to F anyone you disagree with?

No, the F is just for you...