Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

I love Dogbert..... he makes me think of Trump.

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Cavebear

Dogbert is one of the greatest creations of all time.  He is relentless in his (oddly unsuccessful) pursuit of world dominance.  But mostly, he represents the worst of humanity so purely and innocently.  And he demonstrates utter greed and simple hopes.  In one thought, he supported world-wide de-weaponization because then he could conquer the world with a butter-knife. 

Dogbert is the most direct character I've ever seen.  The complete opposite of The Pointy-Headed Boss (of whom I had several), he brings logic to a final illogical conclusion.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Nazis were rational.  But evil.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 06, 2019, 07:06:48 AM
Nazis were rational.  But evil.

OK *sigh* why do you think the Nazis were "rational"?  The evil is assumed...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 06, 2019, 09:34:29 AM
OK *sigh* why do you think the Nazis were "rational"?  The evil is assumed...

It is reasonable to grab more territory and resources, and that people will resist.  Therefore you have to kill the people who will or could resist.  But they did this in an irrational way.  It is the nature of all social arrangements to expand until they can't.  See "the banality of evil".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Frankly I have always thought the greatest part of the "Nazi's" were men and women who found themselves in positions they could not get out of. I imagine a great deal of them had absolutely no hatred towards Jews per se, but caught up in the mob mentality had very little recourse or perhaps lose their own lives. I often wonder how many of the soldiers wished they could have just go home and leave he world alone. I suspect even when they were winning they would have just as rather gone home. But maybe I am wrong....though that is rare of course.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 06, 2019, 12:05:00 PM
It is reasonable to grab more territory and resources, and that people will resist.  Therefore you have to kill the people who will or could resist.  But they did this in an irrational way.  It is the nature of all social arrangements to expand until they can't.  See "the banality of evil".

I almost fell for the argument you didn't QUITE make.  Nice!  You didn't actually mention any group in particular.

I don't know if you intended it or not, but that was an accurate description of Europeans and then Americans spreading across the North American continent.

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on June 09, 2019, 06:17:13 PM
Frankly I have always thought the greatest part of the "Nazi's" were men and women who found themselves in positions they could not get out of. I imagine a great deal of them had absolutely no hatred towards Jews per se, but caught up in the mob mentality had very little recourse or perhaps lose their own lives. I often wonder how many of the soldiers wished they could have just go home and leave he world alone. I suspect even when they were winning they would have just as rather gone home. But maybe I am wrong....though that is rare of course.

When the army comes and says "fight or be killed now", what do most people do?

Some obey, some don't.  I've never been faced with that choice, and most people haven't.  I know what I'd LIKE to think I would do...

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on June 09, 2019, 06:17:13 PM

How many German soldiers shot for being insufficiently enthusiastic?  27,500

How many American soldiers shot for being insufficiently enthusiastic?  141

Of course more crimes were committed, but weren't caught.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 10, 2019, 08:45:14 AM
How many German soldiers shot for being insufficiently enthusiastic?  27,500

How many American soldiers shot for being insufficiently enthusiastic?  141

Of course more crimes were committed, but weren't caught.

So, are you saying that more German soldiers were "insufficiently enthusiastic" or that they were just more readily shot?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 11, 2019, 02:31:51 AM
So, are you saying that more German soldiers were "insufficiently enthusiastic" or that they were just more readily shot?

That Germans weren't all monsters.  But their regime was.  FDR wasn't all that bad, unless your name was Prentice Bush.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 11, 2019, 04:49:43 AM
That Germans weren't all monsters.  But their regime was.  FDR wasn't all that bad, unless your name was Prentice Bush.

That wasn't my claim.  I asked a question you didn't answer.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 11, 2019, 04:53:23 AM
That wasn't my claim.  I asked a question you didn't answer.

I answered and you dithered.  Try again later.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 11, 2019, 04:57:58 AM
I answered and you dithered.  Try again later.

Never one to dodge a challenge...  OK, you said "That Germans weren't all monsters.  But their regime was.  FDR wasn't all that bad, unless your name was Prentice Bush."

I agree all Germans weren't monsters (but sang 'The I Was Not A Nazi Polka" afterwards).  Their regime WAS evil.  FDR was generally pretty good.  Took the US through The Great Depression and most of WWII and all that.  Few leaders could have. 

I can't find "Prentice Bush".  Did you mean "Prescott Bush"?  Was there a name change?

Anyway, I answered your questions.