News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How many GODS do you have?

Started by Arik, May 08, 2019, 08:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 31, 2019, 02:01:34 AM
Anyone can start a religion.  All you need is a good speaker and a hook.  And a collection plate.

So what is stopping you?  ;-}
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Arik

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 30, 2019, 12:18:47 PM
He really does.

All of his arguments rely entirely on the audience wanting to believe his claims and therefore accepting everything without skepticism.  This works great on friendly audiences but collapses spectacularly with skeptical audiences.  Perhaps no one informed him of this or perhaps he thinks his sheer charisma *laughs* will carry the day.  Either way, it's foolish and mildly insulting.

Nothing really to do with SKEPTICAL audiences Hydra.

It has to do instead with audiences that sweep under the carpet the evidence and then they say that there is no evidence.

Dr. Peter Fenwick is a neuropsychiatrist in Britain not any BS chap so if you reject his knowledge and at the same time you do not bring any material to contradict him then you show how erroneous and false you are.

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

Baruch

Any evidence that contradicts one's religion or lack of it, politics or lack of it, is dismissed by all humans.  We seek affirmation of our prejudices, not the truth.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on May 31, 2019, 10:15:30 AM
So what is stopping you?  ;-}

What makes you think I haven't?  I'm retired an the collection plate is a welcome addition.

Never heard of "The Our Lady Of Perpetual Misery Hollowed Be My Name" church?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: Arik on May 31, 2019, 10:21:38 AM

Nothing really to do with SKEPTICAL audiences Hydra.

It has to do instead with audiences that sweep under the carpet the evidence and then they say that there is no evidence.

Dr. Peter Fenwick is a neuropsychiatrist in Britain not any BS chap so if you reject his knowledge and at the same time you do not bring any material to contradict him then you show how erroneous and false you are.

According to the British "The Telgraph" (of which I know nothing) Dr Fenwick bases his "new model of dying" on reports of death bed visions, such as visitations by deceased relatives, and spooky coincidences, such as clocks stopping when someone dies.

Just mentioning that...

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Arik on May 31, 2019, 09:59:33 AMAll you do guys is making up a lot of guessing a lot of stories and nothing else because not all those who follow some practices are following bad practices.
Pot hello Kettle.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Cavebear

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on May 31, 2019, 10:50:57 AM
Pot hello Kettle.

I love the idea that many religions are like too many pots calling too many kettles black...

Arik

Quote from: Cavebear on May 31, 2019, 10:32:40 AM
According to the British "The Telgraph" (of which I know nothing) Dr Fenwick bases his "new model of dying" on reports of death bed visions, such as visitations by deceased relatives, and spooky coincidences, such as clocks stopping when someone dies.

Just mentioning that...

Why don't you bring some link to that stuff so I can see the whole story.

Just mentioning that...
When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

Cavebear

Quote from: Arik on May 31, 2019, 11:17:46 AM

Why don't you bring some link to that stuff so I can see the whole story.

[url="https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1528150/Festival-attacked-over-paranormal-nonsense.html"]https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1528150/Festival-attacked-over-paranormal-nonsense.html[/url]

I messed up the quote trying to post a quote.   But the link is there as requested.  Sorry...

Arik

Quote from: Cavebear on May 31, 2019, 11:44:13 AM
[url="https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1528150/Festival-attacked-over-paranormal-nonsense.html"]https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1528150/Festival-attacked-over-paranormal-nonsense.html[/url]

I messed up the quote trying to post a quote.   But the link is there as requested.  Sorry...

Nothing really special in that link except for atheists that are still stuck to the notion that everything must follow a material outcome.

If Fenwick would be an idiot then nobody would contact him to talk and explain how things works but important institution contact him quite regularly so there has got to be a reason.

Here below you can see his credentials.

Peter Fenwick, M.D., F.R.C.Psych., is Senior Lecturer at the Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College, London, and associated with the Mental Health Group at the University of Southampton. He is also Consultant Neuropsychiatrist at the Maudsley Hospital and at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford, and holds a visiting professorship in Japan, where he spends three months of the year in advanced neuropsychiatric research.

https://iands.org/research/nde-research/important-research-articles/42-dr-peter-fenwick-md-science-and-spirituality.html

Just mentioning that...

Baruch

These people don't believe in psychology, because it doesn't give them the confirmation bias they crave … same with philosophy.  It isn't just theology they have a problem with.

Materialist have an answer for everything …

Who won the world series … atoms … one answer fits all ;-)

But there is variation in inhumanism …

Materialist - I am atoms, same as a rock.

Naturalist - I am an animal, usually herbivore.

Humanist - I am more than material, more than animal, I am special (Materialist and Naturalist groan … noooo … humans are just rocks or cows)

Hindus should adopt inhumanists as pets … they make great sacred cows ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Arik on June 01, 2019, 05:42:19 AM

Here below you can see his credentials.

My sister-in-law has a Doctorate in Social Sciences and has worked in Hospice care for 30 years.....she thinks a carpenter is a person who lays carpet.

Just saying....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

aitm

Quote from: Baruch on June 01, 2019, 10:28:11 AM
These people don't believe in psychology, because it doesn't give them the confirmation bias they crave … same with philosophy.  It isn't just theology they have a problem with.

Materialist have an answer for everything …

Who won the world series … atoms … one answer fits all ;-)

But there is variation in inhumanism …

Materialist - I am atoms, same as a rock.

Naturalist - I am an animal, usually herbivore.

Humanist - I am more than material, more than animal, I am special (Materialist and Naturalist groan … noooo … humans are just rocks or cows)

Hindus should adopt inhumanists as pets … they make great sacred cows ;-)

You forgot the last one:

religionists- I am the product of a spectacular god a god that has existed forever that knows everything before it ever existed and how it will react and how all life forms act even though they never existed prior to his inventing them, I am get to go to a special place when I die and spend eternity splayed on the floor singing his praises and worshiping him for ever and ever....amen.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on June 01, 2019, 10:28:11 AM
These people don't believe in psychology, because it doesn't give them the confirmation bias they crave …

You're misusuing the term "confirmation bias." Confirmation bias is when you notice every example that is consistent with your belief, and ignore every example that contradicts it. Like when you notice every red light that stops you, forget when they don't stop you, and conclude that red lights are out to get you.

So then...how many times have you seen a soul? Oh, you haven't? That's funny. I haven't seen a single soul in my life either. Then we can't be guilty of confirmation bias, now can we? You two, on the other hand, have zero evidence for any of your claims, but are convinced of them regardless. The bias is yours. Stop trying to drag us down to your level.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on June 01, 2019, 11:01:09 AM
You forgot the last one:

religionists- I am the product of a spectacular god a god that has existed forever that knows everything before it ever existed and how it will react and how all life forms act even though they never existed prior to his inventing them, I am get to go to a special place when I die and spend eternity splayed on the floor singing his praises and worshiping him for ever and ever....amen.

There are irreligious humanists, and religious humanists.  I am not picky.

Arrogance isn't limited to theists.  All monkeys are arrogant.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.