News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How many GODS do you have?

Started by Arik, May 08, 2019, 08:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arik

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 29, 2019, 09:54:47 PM
Do scientific journals by neuroscientists studying the brain during and around NDE's count as "evidence" to you? Of course not. Clearly, it's the people with the degrees who are guessing, not the meditating manbuns. You're a fucking idiot. Here. Google Scholar. If you're interested in undumbing yourself, learn how to use it. I'm not doing the work for a willful moron.

Oh yes. Your sources are totally accurate, up-to-date with what experts currently know, and are trustworthy, coming from true authorities on the subject. Since I know you have the intelligence of a pet rock, let me spell this out for you. I'm being sarcastic right now, and you can go fuck yourself.

The evidence hurt BL, isn't?
Or maybe not if you sweep it under the carpet.

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

Arik

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 29, 2019, 11:08:56 PM
Arik is starting to remind me of Spirit Science on YouTube. If you don't know who I'm talking about, here's a video about him. (I don't want to give Spirit Science's channel any views.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nazSov2_gvg

A cult is nothing else but a set of people with a set of practices.
What make a cult good or bad is all related to good or bad practices so to denigrate the word cult without first understanding what this cult is all about denote an high level of stupidity.
When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

Hydra009

Quote from: Arik on May 30, 2019, 10:23:13 AMHowever there is something that you ignore and that is that human progress follow the same system as an avalanche.
In the early stages it goes so so slow that we can hardly see it moving but as it take speed it goes faster and faster.
Human civilization follow the same system.
For almost a million years there was hardly any progress but about 15000 years ago things start moving and now the speed of progress is going very fast so humans that stayed almost the same for such a long time now even in 20 years time they are going through a huge change.
The claim was about anatomical change, not technological change.  Only an idiot would find your doubling-down on bullshit (once again sans evidence) convincing.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 29, 2019, 11:08:56 PM
Arik is starting to remind me of Spirit Science on YouTube. If you don't know who I'm talking about, here's a video about him. (I don't want to give Spirit Science's channel any views.)
He really does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDx1Kh2iU6o

All of his arguments rely entirely on the audience wanting to believe his claims and therefore accepting everything without skepticism.  This works great on friendly audiences but collapses spectacularly with skeptical audiences.  Perhaps no one informed him of this or perhaps he thinks his sheer charisma *laughs* will carry the day.  Either way, it's foolish and mildly insulting.

Hydra009

Quote from: Arik on May 30, 2019, 11:22:03 AM

A cult is nothing else but a set of people with a set of practices.
What make a cult good or bad is all related to good or bad practices so to denigrate the word cult without first understanding what this cult is all about denote an high level of stupidity.
A cult is a religion without mainstream acceptance.

Unbeliever

Yeah, the only difference between a cult and a mainstream religion is the size of its voting block.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 30, 2019, 12:42:19 PM

Eh. There are different ways of defining the word "cult." Most of the time, people just use it as a derogatory term about a collective of people who believe the same. Christians, for example, tend to think every religion other than theirs is a cult. Mormonism is a cult, Islam is a cult, etc. Then there's the B.I.T.E. model, which I think is acceptable. Personally, I just define cults as religious groups that try to isolate its members and/or cause serious physical, emotional, or monetary harm through its mandates. I actually wouldn't consider Spirit Science a cult, but just an idiot.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 30, 2019, 12:42:19 PM

How many Hindus? (rhetorical)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 30, 2019, 03:01:23 PMPersonally, I just define cults as religious groups that try to isolate its members and/or cause serious physical, emotional, or monetary harm through its mandates.
If you want to be super technical about it, a cult is just a new religious movement.

You seem to be using the term in the general sense, which is akin to a destructive or socially harmful cult.  That's fine, that's how most people use the term, but it's kind of a messy, subjective, derogatory term (hence the technical one)

My issue with the general definition is that even some major religions would be considered cults since they exhibit this behavior to a certain extent (do not yoke yourself with unbelievers, blessed be the marytr, blessed are those that tithe, etc).

Of course, these ideas no longer have quite the traction they once had, but they're still very much part of the underlying message.  It seems strange to give them a pass and condemn their pallette-swapped cousins as cultists for pretty much the same sort of thing.

Baruch

In academic circles I think, they use "cultus" for the non-pejorative meaning (sub sect or new sect).  Cult retaining the pejorative meaning.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 27, 2019, 11:25:05 AM
What a crock of crap.  You have been full of shit from the moment you posted on this site and you remain one today.  You are consistent; idiot you are and idiot you shall remain.  You make pronouncements and expect us to take that for evidence of some kind; and really, it is evidence of a sort--the sort that proves you are simply a driveling idiot; and you are consistent in that.  At least you do serve a purpose--if I forget what a driveling idiot writes like, all I have to do is read any of your posts.

Don't beat around the bush, man, speak your mind.  Seriously, I agree completely.  That was a real diaper-load from Arik.  I am constantly amazed that some people can continue to believe in such medieval ideas.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 30, 2019, 11:57:34 PM
Don't beat around the bush, man, speak your mind.  Seriously, I agree completely.  That was a real diaper-load from Arik.  I am constantly amazed that some people can continue to believe in such medieval ideas.

In GB they have Jedi as a recognized religion.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on May 31, 2019, 12:05:02 AM
In GB they have Jedi as a recognized religion.

Anyone can start a religion.  All you need is a good speaker and a hook.  And a collection plate.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Arik

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 30, 2019, 12:14:02 PM
The claim was about anatomical change, not technological change.  Only an idiot would find your doubling-down on bullshit (once again sans evidence) convincing.

You don't seem to get it Hydra, do you?

There is always a strong connection between anatomical changes and technological changes.

Anatomical changes are due to an higher level of consciousness and this consciousness evolve due to more challenges which in turn create more technology.

It is all connected but you wouldn't see any connection.
How sad.

Arik

What is all this garbage about cults that suppose to be only part and parcel of some religious group of fanatics?

Where is written that this is the case?
A cult is a believe in something, in some practices that are followed by a set of people.

All you do guys is making up a lot of guessing a lot of stories and nothing else because not all those who follow some practices are following bad practices.

That is very bizarre of you because you suppose to be open mind people but in reality you generalize a lot and that show how close minded you are.