News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Philosophy of Science, Popper style ...

Started by Baruch, March 31, 2019, 06:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

https://aeon.co/videos/a-doctrine-against-doctrinaires-the-enduring-radical-modesty-of-karl-popper

One can easily apply this to religion, easily falsify it.  But it is harder to falsify scientific status-quo ... but not impossible.  One must guard oneself against turning current scientific theory into ideology, into Lysenkoism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

There already is an ideology associated with science, i.e. Scientism.

From the 14:22 (https://youtu.be/sLDpj8dx0UU?t=862) timestamp is something charlatans like Jordan B. Peterson should pay attention to because, unlike Popper, he gets bogged down in something I like to call the Definition Game, which is e.g. if I ask "do you believe in God?" and Jordan comes with a not-so-artful dodge "what do you mean by 'God'"? Everyone who has met with the descriptions and knows the history of 'God' knows what people mean when they say "I believe in God". Sam Harris has both in his podcast with Jordan B. Peterson and his latest debate with him in Vancouver last year pointed this obtuseness out. Unlike Sam Harris, Karl Popper doesn't think there can be a scientific-based ethics (I mean here by Sam Harris' The Moral Landscape), but is the other way around, that sound ethics guide scientific inquiry.

Back to Scientism; it's basically hubris from using the scientific method or thinking exclusively in such a scientific framework. Yes, we learn a great deal from the science and its application, but it's not the do-all or end-all of human interaction - not because we can't possibly reduce everything down to science, but because the average human has a limited capacity and knowledge to do that. We're simply limited in our human endeavours.

Baruch

Scientism is the technical side of Progressivism, which is part of the inevitable victory of Communism.  With steam power and coal, we will all have free lunches soon, says Karl Marx.  Human beings, particularly atheist human beings (See Nietzsche's superman) have unlimited power, if we can just kill all the beta males standing the way (sarc).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.