News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Will Heaven last forever?

Started by Unbeliever, March 07, 2019, 08:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

Quote from: Jonathan on April 04, 2019, 04:50:16 PM
wouldn’t it be something if God is real, and He cares about you?

yes it would....but alas.....no evidence of that.....unless you think that piece of toast with the image of Jebus saved that little girl in Kentucky from that awful disease that kills everyone else.....god is GREAT!!!!  well at least consistent...saving 1 out of 5,324,895 is pretty good.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

aitm

Oh...sorry about the delay guys....good bye Johnny boy.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 06, 2019, 02:44:44 PM
The heavens declare nothing other than the laws of physics, no God needed.

That is a pagan anthropomorphism.  Minus the interesting mythological bits.  There is quantitative and qualitative regularity, which under controlled conditions, can be verified by observation or controlled experiment.  No laws (that is political aka G-d's holy legislature), no declaration.  If you can use poetic language, so can everyone else.  Physics is a particular division of regularity that is conventional vs say chemistry.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 06, 2019, 01:58:15 PM
Dark matter seems kind of like God - people claim they have evidence for God's existence, but he's really good at hiding from us. :-D

The god you expect, is an idol.  That is never ever a true G-d.  Even in ancient paganism, the idea that Zeus or Hermes might appear among ordinary people, looking like any other human, was a meme.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 06, 2019, 01:15:07 PM
I had some joint activity this morning, and now I feel much better!

Joint as in "grower" and "smoker".  Unless of course they are the same person.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Jonathan on April 06, 2019, 04:02:04 PM
To blame God for evil is to deny ones own culpability. God has created the world as it is and that includes free will for us. He has set before us the way of life, and the way of death. Why did God do it? As I have stated earlier, he is giving everyone a choice. Accept the great salvation He has provided by giving His own Son Jesus, or reject Him and be damned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not true.  G-d clearly admits being the source of everything, both good and bad.  The theologians simply can't accept scripture, no more than atheists can.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on April 06, 2019, 07:06:00 PM
The god you expect, is an idol.  That is never ever a true G-d.  Even in ancient paganism, the idea that Zeus or Hermes might appear among ordinary people, looking like any other human, was a meme.

They didn't have memes in those long ago days - we didn't have memes until Dawkins invented them! :-D
God Not Found

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on April 06, 2019, 07:08:13 PM
Not true.  G-d clearly admits being the source of everything, both good and bad.  The theologians simply can't accept scripture, no more than atheists can.
Of course! The Bible doesn't mean what it says, it means exactly what a Christian says it means.
God Not Found

Cavebear

I try to avoid arguments about theistic writings, but sometimes I just can't help mentioning some things. 

When I started my career, there was a person who was so religious it would make your head hurt.  One day I asked her who Cain and Able married (as there was no mention of any woman other that Eve).  She gave me the most evil look I've ever seen.  She said God created other women.  I told her one would think that such an event would have been mentioned in the bible.  She started repeating Genesis from memory as if that answered everything. 

We didn't get along very well after that...

My point is that, when you mention contradictory things in the christian texts to literalists, they go completely whacky.  It is amusing in a way, but it really gets "some people" nuts (and rightly so).  If only they could just make the next step to realize the whole theistic idea is false...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 07, 2019, 04:10:32 AM
I try to avoid arguments about theistic writings, but sometimes I just can't help mentioning some things. 

When I started my career, there was a person who was so religious it would make your head hurt.  One day I asked her who Cain and Able married (as there was no mention of any woman other that Eve).  She gave me the most evil look I've ever seen.  She said God created other women.  I told her one would think that such an event would have been mentioned in the bible.  She started repeating Genesis from memory as if that answered everything. 

We didn't get along very well after that...

My point is that, when you mention contradictory things in the christian texts to literalists, they go completely whacky.  It is amusing in a way, but it really gets "some people" nuts (and rightly so).  If only they could just make the next step to realize the whole theistic idea is false...

Like my coworker, who argued with an Israeli, that the original Bible was in King James English.

Read any political tract ... it is easy to see it is rubbish also, but most people still believe in the superstition of government ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on April 07, 2019, 04:24:36 AM
Like my coworker, who argued with an Israeli, that the original Bible was in King James English.

Read any political tract ... it is easy to see it is rubbish also, but most people still believe in the superstition of government ;-))

OMG!  ;)  But yes, people ARE that stupid.

But don't try to sneakily switch that to political discussions.  Go directly at it.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 07, 2019, 04:36:40 AM
OMG!  ;)  But yes, people ARE that stupid.

But don't try to sneakily switch that to political discussions.  Go directly at it.

I support government, because I support the superstition that it is necessary ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on April 07, 2019, 08:37:40 AM
I support government, because I support the superstition that it is necessary ;-)

Build any roads yourself lately?  Or get a few friends to help?  There are some things it takes an organized group to do.  Tghat's called "gummint"

My favorite anti-gummint situation is some Big Farmer from Iowa who complains about gummint as he cashes a gummint check for not growing corn...  Complaining about "wehfare queens" trying to raise 2 kids on $1000 a month.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on April 07, 2019, 04:24:36 AM

I think this has been attributed to everyone short of King James himself:

"If English was good enough for Jesus when he wrote the Bible it should be good enough for Coke."
- attributed to Michele Bachman, but politifact says it ain't so

"If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it ought to be good enough for the children of Texas."
- Miriam "Ma" Ferguson, former governor of Texas. [This is the most frequently cited one. the same quote is occasionally attributed to her husband who was governor before her, to Texas Governor Pappy O'Daniel, and to all sorts of Texas politicians.]

"If English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for you."
-a priest in Little Rock, Arkansas; regarding the teaching of Spanish as a second language in public schools

"If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough for me."
- Unattributed Representative speaking to Dr. David Edwards, head of the Joint National Committee on Language.

"If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough for my Automation clients."
- Sean Baxter, offical COM programmer of the 2000 Summer Olympics.

"If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough for me."
- satirist H. L. Mencken

"If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, then it is good enough for me"
- Dan Quayle (attributed)

Who knows if anyone has actually said it, but it wouldn't surprise me.
God Not Found