News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Today, I saw a mobile game ad for some crappy generic wargame but the ad used Red Alert 2 gameplay footage.  Their ad is as fake as healing crystals, perpetual energy, and hot singles in my area and now I feel like punching a hole straight through the core of the earth.  It might take me a while, but I'm pretty determined.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 24, 2021, 12:33:00 AM
Today, I saw a mobile game ad for some crappy generic wargame but the ad used Red Alert 2 gameplay footage.  Their ad is as fake as healing crystals, perpetual energy, and hot singles in my area and now I feel like punching a hole straight through the core of the earth.  It might take me a while, but I'm pretty determined.

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mr.Obvious

Opening experience of the last of us.

"huh, could've sworn the girl's name was ellie."

Literally five minutes later.

"oh fuck oh god no!"
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Cyberpunk gets new patch, and new game-breaking glitch

Basically, one quest can glitch out and not allow completion, borking the whole game.  Even reloading a previous save won't fix it.  But if you follow very specific instructions from the devs, you can unbork the quest.

To my knowledge, not even Skyrim was this buggy at release.  At this point, I'm more interested in this game's news than the actual game.  It's like a trainwreck, I just can't look away.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 24, 2021, 05:16:45 AM
Opening experience of the last of us.

"huh, could've sworn the girl's name was ellie."

Literally five minutes later.

"oh fuck oh god no!"

I don't get this.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Blackleaf

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 25, 2021, 01:20:00 AM
I don't get this.

Watch the first few minutes of gameplay, and you'll get it.
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 25, 2021, 01:37:34 AM
Watch the first few minutes of gameplay, and you'll get it.

Oh. I have been watching for 25 minutes. Looks like I'll watch it more and it is all your fault.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

I've been replaying Morrowind.  Very atmospheric and immersive.  Hauntingly beautiful.

And they don't make quests like this anymore.  One quest had me track down someone for a pretty sizable debt.  And they told me that their brother owed the debt and that he was missing in some godforsaken cave somewhere.  And you know what I did?  I headed back and paid the debt out of my own pocket lol.  No cave of death for me.

Imagine making a new RPG and telling the PC to travel to New York to stop unsanctioned wizardry by someone named Harry Potter.  Where exactly is he in New York?  I dunno, ask around.  And when they ask how you get to New York, you tell them to head north from Atlanta then take the third right after the road splits then the fourth right after Arby's.  Can't miss it.  Oh, and the street signs are in Klingon for some reason.

Super old school RPGs where not everything is spelled out and you have to figure out a lot of stuff on your own through either an eidetic memory or trial and error.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 30, 2021, 01:21:30 AM
I've been replaying Morrowind.  Very atmospheric and immersive.  Hauntingly beautiful.

And they don't make quests like this anymore.  One quest had me track down someone for a pretty sizable debt.  And they told me that their brother owed the debt and that he was missing in some godforsaken cave somewhere.  And you know what I did?  I headed back and paid the debt out of my own pocket lol.  No cave of death for me.

Imagine making a new RPG and telling the PC to travel to New York to stop unsanctioned wizardry by someone named Harry Potter.  Where exactly is he in New York?  I dunno, ask around.  And when they ask how you get to New York, you tell them to head north from Atlanta then take the third right after the road splits then the fourth right after Arby's.  Can't miss it.  Oh, and the street signs are in Klingon for some reason.

Super old school RPGs where not everything is spelled out and you have to figure out a lot of stuff on your own through either an eidetic memory or trial and error.

Morrowind was my first open-world game, and I was amazed by it when it came out. I first played it at my cousin's place and was just blown away by the concept of a game without invisible walls, where you could walk any direction you want and find something to do. It was like a whole world in one video game. Unfortunately, my computer at the time couldn't run it for ten minutes without crashing. I got the XBOX port, and that allowed me to get more out of it, but it had this problem where the save file would get bigger and bigger the longer you played it, resulting in some very long loading times when you had to load the save, whether because you were booting the game for the first time that session or had just died and had to return to your last save. Despite all that, this game still has a special place in my arteries.

What I really appreciate in retrospect is how they did guilds back then. You didn't join the Mage's Guild and then instantly become Arch-Mage after barely demonstrating any magical talents at all. You started at the bottom and had to do jobs and increase your relevant skills to slowly move your way up the ladder. And some guilds didn't like each other, so doing quests for one would get you kicked out of the other. Back then, they were less concerned with being accessible to casual players, and more concerned with creating an immersive experience. They had more weapons, more skills, more spells, etc. And the setting was so bizarre and alien, with houses made out of giant crab shells, and weird monsters unlike anything you'd see in real life. When Oblivion came out years later, and I saw all the luscious green grass and real-world creatures like mountain lions, I was like, "Is this the same series?"

Of course, there are some elements that didn't age so well... Such as the combat system.

--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

I had a weird intro into Morrowind.  I bought the game disk (Imagine that, owning the actual game disk!!) I was deeply into war games, and had played Diablo (the first one) and loved it.  So, I loaded Morrowind for the first time and was totally lost.  For some reason I just could not get going--I think I expected a super Diablo or something.  Anyway, I put it back in it's box and left it there for over a year.  Something made me re-try it and this time I stuck with it for an hour or so and saw that this was a totally new experience.  I was into solo dungeons for D&D and liked those too.  This was one of those come to life and I was in heaven.  I loved it--and I still do.  I've been hooked on PC RPG's ever since.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 30, 2021, 09:35:27 AM
... I bought the game disk (Imagine that, owning the actual game disk!!) ...

Aw, of course I remember. Also, "Whoa it is 600 mb! WOW" :lol:

drunkenshoe

Has any of you ever found some unfinished game scenario in an old game you have played for a long time and continued to play it where you left from yeeeears ago?

I have found the old Heroes of Might and Magic III somewhere in my comp a few months ago and as we can't play the random maps in the Steam one, I have been playing it pretty often. I've been playing this game on and off since the II realese in 90s. I haven't finished any games for a very long time and also now I just hang around in the game when I feel depressed, bored or somewhat bad... Well this is not the first game I got obviously, I got it a few times over between PCs, but this time, a few days ago, when I've finally finished a game after a really long time, I have seen a few old games of mine that belongs to 10 years ago, maybe even more. I had forgotten about the game until the steam HD release in pandemic. (Well played steam.)

Oh my...what I have been doing 'wrong' in life is just there in the game and was staring at me, sticking her tongue out. Well, it's known since the dawn of humanity that games reflect a person's personality and attitude to life in the most open and accurate way, but boy was it ugly? :lol: Anyway, I have finished a big one, saved it with another name and left the original game untouched. And I had a good laugh, it felt good. Holly mother cockwrappers...Who is that woman?

Mr.Obvious

I usually start new saves. Did it once with a Pokémon nuzlocke though.

Anywys, I think I'm near the end of the last of us. I do still have the dlc. And it is definitely a game worth playing again on a harder setting. My playthrough was on hard.

Man, Ashley Johnson is a terrific voice actress. An if I ever have a daughter, I want her to be like ellie. Strong, resourceful, driven, funny, a tad foul-mouthed and immune to becoming a zombie.

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on February 01, 2021, 04:28:54 AMI have found the old Heroes of Might and Magic III somewhere in my comp a few months ago
Amazing game.  Rampart or Dungeon ftw, though I do have a certain fondness for Fortress.  Maxing Luck and/or Morale makes it Easy mode.  Logistics or Pathfinding is super useful.  And finally, Artillery is just plain fun.

QuoteOh my...what I have been doing 'wrong' in life is just there in the game and was staring at me, sticking her tongue out. Well, it's known since the dawn of humanity that games reflect a person's personality and attitude to life in the most open and accurate way, but boy was it ugly? :lol:

At least you can rest easy knowing your profile is better than his.  :P

Mr.Obvious

Control, by remedy, is turning out an eerie, fun game.