News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 10:56:14 AM
I've never loved any game that depended on how fast you twitch on 4 keys...
Me either.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on August 24, 2019, 12:27:05 PM
Finally finished the main story of No Man’s Sky, and all I can say is... wow. What a ride. I won’t spoil anything, but that was some heavy existential shit.

My reward was choosing a new galaxy to transport to. You get four choices: a normal, hostile, lush, or barren galaxy. There are 255 galaxies in the game, so this choice just skips you ahead to the next one of that type. You can also choose to stay in your current galaxy (most people are still in Euclid by this point).

Second reward is the 16 portal glyphs. There are other ways to get these if you choose not to do the main story, but the last quest of the storyline gives them to you for free. All you have to do is make 16 warp jumps towards the galaxy’s center, which is simple enough to do since warp fuel is quite easy to make after you progress a certain amount. You get one glyph per jump.

I picked the lush galaxy because it has, as the name implies, more lush planets. Which aren’t necessarily safer. Or colored green. But they do remind me of Spore. Plus the galaxy is called Eissentam, which I think is a pretty badass name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sound Civ2ish
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 10:56:14 AM
I've never loved any game that depended on how fast you twitch on 4 keys...

Replying to this one, but it's in response to all the posts about FPS...

Yes, you can play FPSs strictly on reflex and twitching and be good. But there have been plenty of times where I have utilized strategy, situational awareness, knowledge of the map, etc. to out-think and out-play other players.

Obviously you still have to have a certain level of reflexes, but FPSs are not inherently void of strategy... and in cases where strategy is needed, it is perhaps more impressive than a slower-paced strategy game. And a player who plays with his head as well as his reflexes will generally be rewarded for it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on August 24, 2019, 06:34:32 PM
Replying to this one, but it's in response to all the posts about FPS...

Yes, you can play FPSs strictly on reflex and twitching and be good. But there have been plenty of times where I have utilized strategy, situational awareness, knowledge of the map, etc. to out-think and out-play other players.

Obviously you still have to have a certain level of reflexes, but FPSs are not inherently void of strategy... and in cases where strategy is needed, it is perhaps more impressive than a slower-paced strategy game. And a player who plays with his head as well as his reflexes will generally be rewarded for it.

I understand the difference only by your descriptions.  In my experience, you only play and win a game by sitting and thinking bette orr using your fingers faster than the opponent. 

The speed factor even shows up in thinking games.  I can't play a thinking game these days without the opponent getting bored after 1 minute.  Or a chess game requiring a move per minute or scrabble with a 2 minute countdown clock.  Some games deserve some time.  There are reasons to sit and think. 

I used to play Postal Chess where you only got a move once a week.    And the chess games were better in quality.  I used to stand around a chessboard for hours thinking of how to respond to an opponent's well-considered move that took HIM/HER hours to choose. 

You don't get games like those with a 2 minute clock. 

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 24, 2019, 09:25:45 AM
I've tried real-time games and I don't like them either.  I like to use strategy and not reflexes.
There are two general schools of thought when it comes to RTS games:

Micromanagement - fine control of units, small area awareness, high clicks-per-second

Macromanagement - less direct control of units, large area awareness, low clicks-per-second

Just about every RTS is a mix of the two.  But the very best ones I've played lean heavily on the macro side.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 24, 2019, 07:16:59 PM

Micromanagement - fine control of units, small area awareness, high clicks-per-second

Macromanagement - less direct control of units, large area awareness, low clicks-per-second

Just about every RTS is a mix of the two.  But the very best ones I've played lean heavily on the macro side.

I'm macro.  I LIKE spending 30 minutes deciding on one move.  If I want micro-fast, I go for pinball or air hockey.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 07:21:22 PM
I'm macro.  I LIKE spending 30 minutes deciding on one move.
Sounds like turn-based strategy is for you.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 24, 2019, 07:16:59 PM

I pretty much agree.  And that is one reason I love the Morrowind--Oblivion- FO3--New Vegas--Skyrim--FO4 flow of games.  These push all my buttons.  But I also love all the Civ games--well, maybe not IV--because of the strategy involved.  And I also like war games for the strategy, as well.  I did try a couple of real-time war games, and while they were well done, I was constantly on edge and could not relax into the game.  It's not that these types of games are bad, it's just not to my liking.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 24, 2019, 07:32:24 PM
Sounds like turn-based strategy is for you.

Without any doubt.  Even when I was high-scorer each week on several pinball machines at an arcade back in the 80s, I played deliberately.  They gave out 10 free tokens per week to each high scorer.  When I got a job uptown, I had a drawer full of them.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 24, 2019, 06:10:11 PM
Trump is here to make Skyrim great again.

Should have been a Democrat like Epstein ;-(

How about a guest roll for Obama in GTA?  I am down with that shit!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 08:57:11 PM
Without any doubt.  Even when I was high-scorer each week on several pinball machines at an arcade back in the 80s, I played deliberately.  They gave out 10 free tokens per week to each high scorer.  When I got a job uptown, I had a drawer full of them.
I forget exactly which pinball machine it was, but there was one that was so easy that I could play for hours on just a couple quarters.  It gave out free balls and multiballs easily, and even when you lose, more often than not, you'd get a free continue.  Fun times.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 24, 2019, 11:10:02 PM
I forget exactly which pinball machine it was, but there was one that was so easy that I could play for hours on just a couple quarters.  It gave out free balls and multiballs easily, and even when you lose, more often than not, you'd get a free continue.  Fun times.

Was it possibly "Olympics" or "Eight Ball"?  I was also good at one about Las Vegas but I forget the name.  And these were all ones locked down so there was no careful tilting.  I had a real talent for catching the ball on the flippers and aiming them to targets.  Other people gathered around to watch.  Used up a lot of lunch hours that way.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 11:19:38 PM
Was it possibly "Olympics" or "Eight Ball"?  I was also good at one about Las Vegas but I forget the name.  And these were all ones locked down so there was no careful tilting.  I had a real talent for catching the ball on the flippers and aiming them to targets.  Other people gathered around to watch.  Used up a lot of lunch hours that way.
I'm like 80% sure it had a gopher.

After looking around a bit, I'm guessing Tee'd off.