News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on August 23, 2019, 10:35:12 PM
Funny enough, the best Star Wars games and movies both revolve around non-Force users (besides KotOR)... and even some of the best novel characters.

You have a good point there.  I like Thrawn and I have a good feeling about The Mandalorians.

Wait a sec...you said best Star Wars games besides KOTOR?  That's a hell of an exception!  That's like saying "besides the Earth, the solar system is lifeless".  Or "besides for WWII, the 40s were pretty peaceful".  Yeah, I mean, I guess that's true, but taking Kotor out of the running leaves a HUGE hole.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 23, 2019, 10:50:56 PM
You have a good point there.  I like Thrawn and I have a good feeling about The Mandalorians.

Wait a sec...you said best Star Wars games besides KOTOR?  That's a hell of an exception!  That's like saying "besides the Earth, the solar system is lifeless".  Or "besides for WWII, the 40s were pretty peaceful".  Yeah, I mean, I guess that's true, but taking Kotor out of the running leaves a HUGE hole.

Star Wars: Galaxies, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Star Wars: Battlefront and Star Wars: Dark Knight are all great games, if not quite to the same level (though Galaxies was, imo, even better than KotOR).
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

I don't recognize most of the games mentioned.  Are they real-time shoot-em-ups?  Or are they games with some deliberate thought involved?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on August 23, 2019, 10:53:58 PMGalaxies was, imo, even better than KotOR).
Imo, that's like comparing World of Warcraft to Warcraft 3.  There's a lot of common ground, but they're completely different beasts.  Also, Pazaak.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on August 23, 2019, 11:46:02 PMI don't recognize most of the games mentioned.

I am one with the Force and the Force is with me...I am one with the Force and the Force is with me...

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 24, 2019, 12:18:40 AM
I am one with the Force and the Force is with me...I am one with the Force and the Force is with me...

Hey, I don't play real-time shoot em up games.  My brain doesn't talk to my fingers on arbitrary keys.  I'm OK on joystick games.  And if you ever want to lose at air hockey, come visit and we will find some place that offers it...

Hydra009

Battlefront is probably the shootiest one on that list, and even my 1300 ms response time nervous system can handle that, albeit on easy.  Rogue Squadron is more of a flight simulator, Galaxies was more of an MMO, and Dark Knight is a positively venerable RPG, I think.  Maybe a Batman film?  I dunno.

And I'm down for some air hockey anywhere*, anytime**.

* Continental US/Canada only, excluding Texas and Alabama
** Thursday-Sunday afternoon or evening if I don't have work or some other serious obligation

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 24, 2019, 12:53:13 AM
Battlefront is probably the shootiest one on that list, and even my 1300 ms response time nervous system can handle that, albeit on easy.  Rogue Squadron is more of a flight simulator, Galaxies was more of an MMO, and Dark Knight is a positively venerable RPG, I think.  Maybe a Batman film?  I dunno.

And I'm down for some air hockey anywhere*, anytime**.

* Continental US/Canada only, excluding Texas and Alabama
** Thursday-Sunday afternoon or evening if I don't have work or some other serious obligation

I would love to play even after 25 years away.  I never lost a game.  I'll check the local bowling alley.  That's where I always found the game.  Or Amazon sells one for $900.  We split the cost and set it up somewhere convenient. We play 5 games just to get in practice.  Then winner 5 of 9 owns it... 

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 12:30:03 AM
Hey, I don't play real-time shoot em up games.  My brain doesn't talk to my fingers on arbitrary keys.  I'm OK on joystick games.  And if you ever want to lose at air hockey, come visit and we will find some place that offers it...
I've tried real-time games and I don't like them either.  I like to use strategy and not reflexes. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 24, 2019, 09:25:45 AM
I've tried real-time games and I don't like them either.  I like to use strategy and not reflexes. 
This is an interesting thing I've never thought about before.  Not all video games are alike.  I suppose that's not news to anyone, other than me.  There is usually some strategy involved in shooters, and some games I've seen hyped as strategy require fast reflexes on occasion.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on August 24, 2019, 09:33:07 AM
This is an interesting thing I've never thought about before.  Not all video games are alike.  I suppose that's not news to anyone, other than me.  There is usually some strategy involved in shooters, and some games I've seen hyped as strategy require fast reflexes on occasion.

Civ games let you look at them all the time you want.  Civ 2 is the best for thinking...

Cavebear

For real-time games, I once chaperroned a couple who needed a sort of legal excuse to be together alone during a divorse and a kid.  We played QBert for hours on the boyfriend's quarters. 

I was REALLY good at that game. and enjoyed spending some time with the kid teaching him how to play.  It was a real joystick game. 

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on August 24, 2019, 09:33:07 AM
I like shooters that have an element of role playing.  I like role playing in that it gives you an ending to shoot for. Doom doesn't ring my chimes because it has only one goal--kill things.   I love war games, but the type that is real-time I'm not fond of.  I like to be able to stratigize  and not just react.  I realize that actual wars are actually much more like real-time games; but then I don't game to give me reality.  For example, I love FO4, which is a role playing shooter.  One has to plan ahead to accomplish all one wants to--but fast reflexes are required at times--but it is not real-time.  Plus the game has a building element to it as well, so one is not always just destroying, but can build.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 24, 2019, 10:46:03 AM
I like shooters that have an element of role playing.  I like role playing in that it gives you an ending to shoot for. Doom doesn't ring my chimes because it has only one goal--kill things.   I love war games, but the type that is real-time I'm not fond of.  I like to be able to stratigize  and not just react.  I realize that actual wars are actually much more like real-time games; but then I don't game to give me reality.  For example, I love FO4, which is a role playing shooter.  One has to plan ahead to accomplish all one wants to--but fast reflexes are required at times--but it is not real-time.  Plus the game has a building element to it as well, so one is not always just destroying, but can build.

I've never loved any game that depended on how fast you twitch on 4 keys...

Hijiri Byakuren

Finally finished the main story of No Man’s Sky, and all I can say is... wow. What a ride. I won’t spoil anything, but that was some heavy existential shit.

My reward was choosing a new galaxy to transport to. You get four choices: a normal, hostile, lush, or barren galaxy. There are 255 galaxies in the game, so this choice just skips you ahead to the next one of that type. You can also choose to stay in your current galaxy (most people are still in Euclid by this point).

Second reward is the 16 portal glyphs. There are other ways to get these if you choose not to do the main story, but the last quest of the storyline gives them to you for free. All you have to do is make 16 warp jumps towards the galaxy’s center, which is simple enough to do since warp fuel is quite easy to make after you progress a certain amount. You get one glyph per jump.

I picked the lush galaxy because it has, as the name implies, more lush planets. Which aren’t necessarily safer. Or colored green. But they do remind me of Spore. Plus the galaxy is called Eissentam, which I think is a pretty badass name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel