Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilodelta

Civ VI needs a better sale than 10%...
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Mike Cl

Quote from: kilodelta on December 30, 2016, 04:10:58 PM
Civ VI needs a better sale than 10%...
Have you played it yet?  If so, what do you think?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

kilodelta

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 30, 2016, 04:12:56 PM
Have you played it yet?  If so, what do you think?

Not yet. I'm waiting for a 25 dollar or less price tag. Though, 50 might be worth it considering how much time I put in V.

I'm not a fan of the new cartoonish look. But, gameplay and humor in the game is king in my opinion.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Mike Cl

Quote from: kilodelta on December 30, 2016, 09:45:59 PM
Not yet. I'm waiting for a 25 dollar or less price tag. Though, 50 might be worth it considering how much time I put in V.

I'm not a fan of the new cartoonish look. But, gameplay and humor in the game is king in my opinion.
I liked V, but have held off on VI mainly because of the looks and some early reviews were just lukewarm.  Still waiting............
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hijiri Byakuren

Star Fox Zero. The control scheme is... unique. Bit of a learning curve there.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Shiranu

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 30, 2016, 10:19:20 PM
I liked V, but have held off on VI mainly because of the looks and some early reviews were just lukewarm.  Still waiting............

I don't care for it... have over 2000 hours in Civ 5... about 20 in 6.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on December 29, 2016, 11:15:50 PM
Start as an Irish count or duke in 1066. If you have the Sunset Invasion DLC, make sure that's turned off. Keep replaying the game until you figure out how to take over Ireland. By the time you've finished doing this, you'll at least know the basics.

Oh by the way, don't try any of the "suggested characters" until you're fairly decent at the game. They're suggested because they're interesting, not because they're easy.

Got bored in Ireland, trying to unite the Basque people. Muslims to my South, angry French to the north... Such fun.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Alas, Empress Plazentzia Antsez Iniga lost the . it was a good run.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Shiranu on December 31, 2016, 12:04:46 AM
I don't care for it... have over 2000 hours in Civ 5... about 20 in 6.
So, is there an actual game under that surface of cartoon-like surface of those graphics? 

Hydra009

I played some more Endless Space 2.  There's a surprising depth of strategy I was utterly blind to before.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 31, 2016, 05:11:03 PM
I played some more Endless Space 2.  There's a surprising depth of strategy I was utterly blind to before.

Did not realize this was an early access game on Steam.  Do you trust that the game will be completed and that the completed form will be any good????  I have not played any of the Endless games--how do they compare to say, the Civ series?  I do like the 'tedious' parts of the Civ games and also the building part (the entire game, actually) of Fallout 4.  Think I might like the Endless 2 game?

Shiranu

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 31, 2016, 10:25:36 AM
So, is there an actual game under that surface of cartoon-like surface of those graphics? 

The gameplay itself is actually... solid so far. I like some of the direction's it took. But overall it feels dumbed down alot and I just cant get the immersion factor like 5 gave me.

Endless Space 2 is great... I want to say it's suppose to be released in a month or two. I absolutely love Endless Legend as well... it's kinda like Civ with a smaller tech tree meets an RPG (story wise) meets Warcraft 3's heros meets Tolkien fantasy with some Lovecraft and other tropes as well. I would highly recommend it if you like fantasy and Endless Space if you like sci-fi.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Shiranu on December 31, 2016, 07:03:00 PM
The gameplay itself is actually... solid so far. I like some of the direction's it took. But overall it feels dumbed down alot and I just cant get the immersion factor like 5 gave me.

Endless Space 2 is great... I want to say it's suppose to be released in a month or two. I absolutely love Endless Legend as well... it's kinda like Civ with a smaller tech tree meets an RPG (story wise) meets Warcraft 3's heros meets Tolkien fantasy with some Lovecraft and other tropes as well. I would highly recommend it if you like fantasy and Endless Space if you like sci-fi.
Thanks.  I do love fantasy and sci-fi.  And Civ and rpg's.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 31, 2016, 06:45:05 PMDid not realize this was an early access game on Steam.  Do you trust that the game will be completed and that the completed form will be any good????
It's good right now.  There are just some features missing.  It's like playing Mario Bros with a bunch of levels missing.  It's not finished, but it's not unplayable.

QuoteI have not played any of the Endless games--how do they compare to say, the Civ series?  I do like the 'tedious' parts of the Civ games and also the building part (the entire game, actually) of Fallout 4.  Think I might like the Endless 2 game?
That's a very difficult question to answer!  I got stumped a couple times trying to come up with this reply.  Hopefully, this reply is coherent enough to be understood by someone who hasn't already played the game.

First off, you might as well forget Civ.  There are some similarities, but I assure you, there are enough differences that the comparison is like apples and eggplants.

The game's setting is the most striking thing about it - scifi civilizations seeking to control a galaxy filled with wondrous and terrible relics of the golden age of a practically godlike civilization long gone but not forgotten.  The races themselves are similar but different from the standard scifi races.  The game boasts expansive lore.  It's a lot like Morrowind in the sense that it looks and feels different from other titles in the genre.

The mechanics are pretty complex and generally not very well spelled out, so there's a bit of a learning curve.  But patience and persistence (and the game's wiki) will see you through that.

It's a bit like Civ in that you found and grow new colonies, research new technology, explore, engage in diplomacy, and fight battles - but the specifics of how you do those things is very different in Endless Space 2.

Endless Space 2 has elections, quests, and events.  You can purchase heroes to lead your military forces.  You can design your own ships.  And in some combat situations, you'll have to choose among several options and whether it goes well or poorly depends a lot on making the right call at the right time.  Also, games can take upwards of 2-3 hours or more depending on how much you ruminate your decisions.

Basically, there's a lot under the hood and it takes a lot of time to get used to it.

But really, everything boils down to this:

[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQxP_RXcLJo

Does any of the above appeal to you?  If so, you should definitely give it a shot sometime.[/spoiler]

Mike Cl

Thanks, Hydra.  I am most assuredly interested.  It is on my 'wishlist' now to remind me to pick it up.  It will be a little bit, but I'm sure I'll give it a go; I have a new game I downloaded, but have not gotten to yet.  So, after I play that one a bit, I'll do Endless 2.  Thanks again.