News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Depends on the game.  Risk, CivII, chess backgammon...  But I do that at pogo.com
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

Sunless Sea: Zubmareener hit the Workshop today, gonna check that out in a bit. Brilliant base game, and I hear this makes it even better.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

I don't waste time on constructed smartphone games.  Go collects Pokemans in Times Square, LOL!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on October 11, 2016, 05:59:46 PM
Depends on the game.  Risk, CivII, chess backgammon...  But I do that at pogo.com
I loved Risk as a kid--as a family we played the hell out of that game--long live Australia!!  How is it at pogo?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Well, Australia isn't the way to go, LOL!

NA gets 5 armies and only has 3 points to defend.  Then you take SA and STILL only have 3 points to defend.  No one wants Europe or Asia (too many dense spots).  Some have to try it given the cards.  I know some players that go for Australia and try to hide there.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Cavebear on October 19, 2016, 12:34:51 PM

NA gets 5 armies and only has 3 points to defend.  Then you take SA and STILL only have 3 points to defend.  No one wants Europe or Asia (too many dense spots).  Some have to try it given the cards.  I know some players that go for Australia and try to hide there.
Problem is, if you're playing with experienced people then the Americas are going to be a bloodbath as soon as someone makes a move for them.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on October 19, 2016, 12:34:51 PM

Every not and again I could get the NA and SA regions together.  But in our household, anybody trying to do that got ganged up on (had 5 brothers and my dad in most games).  So, starting in Aust. was easier to do.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Endless Legend Tempest

My risky preorder paid off.  It's pretty good, as I expected it to be.  The naval combat's nice, although navigating the weather tiles can be a bit tricky - I wish the harmful weather tiles were more visibly distinct from the other tiles, I have to zoom out to get a better read on the situation.

I really enjoy the new naval faction, but they're overspecialized.  Half their military is sea-only and their cities absolutely have to be placed along the coast or along rivers.  They pwn face in naval combat, but they're pitiful on land.  These guys are the video game equivalent of the Ironborn.  They have some major strengths, but they have major weaknesses, too.  It's not impossible to win with them, but you have to really know what you're doing.

The word on the grapevine is that this is the last expansion pack, so this is the final version of the game.  And I've gotta say, it is pretty feature-rich compared to its initial release.  It went from 8 factions and a smattering of quests to 11 factions, more/better quests, wonders, legendary deeds, infiltration, guardians, pearls, weather, and naval combat.

I still have my gripes about the combat, the equipment system, and the hero talent trees (not enough variety and lots of useless/undesirable talents) - but all in all, it's a fantastic game.

trdsf

Mmm, Risk and backgammon... I wonder if I still have a login at FIBS.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Sylar

Anyone plays Clash of Clans?
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on October 20, 2016, 11:12:04 PM
Mmm, Risk and backgammon... I wonder if I still have a login at FIBS.

Try pogo.com

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 19, 2016, 03:15:04 PM
Every not and again I could get the NA and SA regions together.  But in our household, anybody trying to do that got ganged up on (had 5 brothers and my dad in most games).  So, starting in Aust. was easier to do.

In the dedicated player rooms, you get dealt nations randomly in most games (it is really hard to get a "choose territories game") so you go with what you get.  And if the best players aren't strong in NA, that's the chance to take it over.  So, if it is a possibility, you go for it.

Which is not to say that some players aren't good at winning from AU.  But the players near them have to be a bit dim to let them hunker down there and just accumulate units.  It does happen, LOL!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on October 22, 2016, 11:15:56 PM
In the dedicated player rooms, you get dealt nations randomly in most games (it is really hard to get a "choose territories game") so you go with what you get.  And if the best players aren't strong in NA, that's the chance to take it over.  So, if it is a possibility, you go for it.

Which is not to say that some players aren't good at winning from AU.  But the players near them have to be a bit dim to let them hunker down there and just accumulate units.  It does happen, LOL!
I haven't played on pogo.  But that sounds interesting--random starting countries.  If I get bored with FO4 I may have to give it a try.

Hydra009

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 23, 2016, 12:09:57 AM
I haven't played on pogo.  But that sounds interesting--random starting countries.  If I get bored with FO4 I may have to give it a try.

I hope you join pogo.  Fresh meat (I mean [koff, koff] new players) are always welcome. But you start with 0 points.  Everyone starts at 0.