News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilodelta

Dawn of War 3 looks like it'll be done right.

"Bases return

Dawn of War 1 style bases are back. They produce your workaday line units such as Tactical Marines, heavy-weapon Devastators and Dreadnought walkers. As in previous games, you build power generators and capture requisition points in the field to acquire resources.

If your Space Marines are too lazy to walk you can load units into three drop pods and smash them into a fight to surprise and squash the enemy. This is a key part of the Space Marines' 'death from above' strategy, which also incorporates jump-pack powered Assault Marines and a giant orbital laserĂ¢â‚¬"more on that later."

http://www.pcgamer.com/dawn-of-war-3-inside-relics-biggest-rts-yet/
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: kilodelta on May 19, 2016, 06:36:56 PMDawn of War 3 looks like it'll be done right.
I approve of bases, hero units, and cover system.

But I would also love a Risk-style map like Dark Crusade, some sort of persistence between battles (structures on a map carrying over from one battle to another until destroyed), and moral choices (attempting to repair a fallen Titan VS scrapping it to boost Knight production, helping to evacuate civilians VS using them as a distraction and hitting an enemy outpost, etc)

And please oh please unique campaigns for all three factions.

Hydra009

Fallout new vegas playthrough:

East pump station not working?  No prob!  I'll poke in this vault and fix the problem.  Ghouls and radiation everywhere!  More difficult than expected, but it shouldn't be that bad.  I'll just take my radaw---looks like I gave all my radaway to the Followers.  Dammit.  I still have a few rad-x, though.  *15 minutes of frantic terror later, emerges from vault half dead and heavily irradiated.  ...And rad storm.  *runs like a scared child past gangs of raiders to the nearest doctor*

Several levels later, finally ready for Quarry Junction.  I kill one deathclaw but its friend one kills me.  So I unload with extreme prejudice on those two and during the VATs killcam, I see three more right behind me.  :(

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 20, 2016, 07:50:31 PM
Fallout new vegas playthrough:

East pump station not working?  No prob!  I'll poke in this vault and fix the problem.  Ghouls and radiation everywhere!  More difficult than expected, but it shouldn't be that bad.  I'll just take my radaw---looks like I gave all my radaway to the Followers.  Dammit.  I still have a few rad-x, though.  *15 minutes of frantic terror later, emerges from vault half dead and heavily irradiated.  ...And rad storm.  *runs like a scared child past gangs of raiders to the nearest doctor*

Several levels later, finally ready for Quarry Junction.  I kill one deathclaw but its friend one kills me.  So I unload with extreme prejudice on those two and during the VATs killcam, I see three more right behind me.  :(
Quarry
Stage one--get on the cliffs.  You can kill 5/6 from there with patience--and a good gauss rifle.
Stage two--sneak across the quarry to the south.  Then climb the cliff that is on the east side until you get to the huge conveyor belt--climb that to the top and you can then kill the alpha male and the big mama and her babies.  After that get to the goodies in her lair.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

May be out of commission for awhile--Far Harbor DLC just released and it looks good!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

kilodelta

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 19, 2016, 08:18:29 PM
I approve of bases, hero units, and cover system.

But I would also love a Risk-style map like Dark Crusade, some sort of persistence between battles (structures on a map carrying over from one battle to another until destroyed), and moral choices (attempting to repair a fallen Titan VS scrapping it to boost Knight production, helping to evacuate civilians VS using them as a distraction and hitting an enemy outpost, etc)

And please oh please unique campaigns for all three factions.

Yes. All of that!
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Sal1981

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 18, 2016, 12:24:43 PM
Then you must like the Civ games.
Indeed. I played the shit outta Civ 1, lol. Although my favourite was 4.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 21, 2016, 04:33:27 AM
Indeed. I played the shit outta Civ 1, lol. Although my favourite was 4.
My fav  was 3--hated 4 and only recently got into 5.  And now, 6 will be out in Oct. I think.  Yeah, I will play that.

Shiranu

Overwatch this next week :D.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Nonsensei

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 20, 2016, 08:53:16 PM
May be out of commission for awhile--Far Harbor DLC just released and it looks good!

Ive put 120 hours into Fallout 4.

Never explored any area south of Boston.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 21, 2016, 04:33:27 AMIndeed. I played the shit outta Civ 1, lol. Although my favourite was 4.
I liked 4 a lot, too.  Especially the sci-fi units from Beyond the Sword.  Mechs ftw.

But I was frustrated by workers' AI.  They had to be manually controlled or else they would built forts over luxury resources.  :(  Also, I wasn't a fan of the stacks of doom (enormous armies packed like sardines in a single square annihilating anything in their path).  The 3-sec combat animation was stilted and terrible-looking.  And the computer AI often was unwilling to accept even generous deals.  Once, I steamrolled a computer-controlled civ and they sued for peace, demanding exorbitant sums of gold and resources from me, the clear victor, in exchange for peace.

I prefer 5, which was a pretty big graphical improvement over 4.  Hexes instead of squares.  No more stacks of death.  And culture points.  I was addicted to culture points.  Though I think the social policies weren't balanced very well.  Liberty, rationalism, and aesthetics were so good that they blew away everything else except exploration, but that's only on a heavily coastal map.  I liked the idea of City-States but they were always so weak and gave such crappy rewards for keeping them happy.  Could've been done better.

For both titles, after you build huge cities and huge armies and climb most of the tech tree, actually finishing the game was just this monotonous grind.  Sure you could plow through enemy civs, but after conquering 20 cities out of the remaining 50 or so, conquering starts getting old quick.  And the space race took forever, too.  I usually just went for a culture victory, which consisted of little more than hitting the end turn button dozens of times.  For such a great game, the endgame was pretty lackluster.

I was going to play Beyond Earth, but went with Endless Legend instead.  I love Endless Legend much more than I would've liked Beyond Earth.  Endless Legend has its problems, too.  But it's amazing what great art, a quest system, heroes, and customizing unit weapons/armor will do for a game.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Nonsensei on May 21, 2016, 11:57:07 AM
Ive put 120 hours into Fallout 4.

Never explored any area south of Boston.
I've logged in 1500 and climbing.  There is much, much to see beyond Boston--and even within Boston. :)

gentle_dissident

been playin...

Praised for its beauty. Cursed for its difficulty.

Great while binging on Midwife. Is Sid through the tunnel yet?

Munch

Sometimes you come across something on tumblr that makes you think.

When will all rpgs out there, be as open to character clothing customization as something like skyrim allowed.

Oh we have the kinky revealing armor for all the girls in most rpg, but I'm thinking along the lines of this more.

Because both genders deserve to have complete impractical kink wear in rpgs.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin