News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 11, 2016, 04:29:30 AM
Man, that sucks.  I was pretty hyped for Battleborn.

(total biscuit joke, lots of people apparently get them confused)
Actually. I hear battleborn is a blast.  i watched it and it looks a lot like if smite wasn't a free to play mess. And Smite is REALLY fun despite being a free to play mess.

Overwatch is OK. I just don't feel good spending 40-60 on a game that I can play with more game modes for free. Overwatch has about 3 modes, 4 if you count the hybrid mode. They also really fucked up the capture point mode. It's ass-backwards. There is no holding of points in overwatch. You get the point and then that point is done and you move on to get the next point. TF2 has all the game modes Overwatch has, plus more.

IDK. just not worth it IMO.... maybe if you needed to get Team Fortress on console and wanted to play 60 bucks

Hydra009

Sounds good, but I'm not much into FPS (Borderlands and Fallout is basically it for me) and I'm currently swamped with other newish releases like XCOM 2, Battlefleet Gothic, and Endless Space 2.

In preparation for the sequel, I decided to play Endless Space.  The lore and artwork are absolutely phenomenal, the UI is kind of a mess (what's the point of a 5-character long scrolling marquee for 20-character messages?), and the gameplay is like driving stickshift for the first time with a bear riding shotgun while being chased by the cops down Guoliang Tunnel Road.  It's basically like this.  Lots of "how do I...?" moments.  Thank the Endless it plays a lot like Endless Legend, otherwise I'd really be up shit creek.

One thing that's particularly bad was needing to continually shift populations from one planet to another.  It's especially tiresome when you have in the upwards of 50 planets in your empire.  I don't understand why that couldn't just be handled automatically.  And yeah, Endless Legend has this feature as well, but it's more along the lines of putting auxiliary power to one system or another rather than playing the "move people off overpopulated planets" minigame.  Thankfully, they rectified most of their mistakes in Endless Legend and the mistakes are unlikely to carry over into Endless Space 2.

And I'll never understand the decision to shove the buildings and build queue into a tiny little part of the screen surrounded by empty space.  When you only have about 9 or so down there, it's fine.  But when you have a couple dozen buildings all competing for that tiny little space, it quickly becomes a rat's nest.  And considering how much of the game revolves around the build queue, that's pretty bad.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game by a long shot.  The art is amazing.  The lore is really engrossing.  There are a ton of very different and very interesting factions.  Sophons ftw.  The space battles aren't bad, for the most part.  It's essentially a RNG battle where tactics don't much matter, but it's still lovely to look at.  It has a real BSG look to it, even though the camera doesn't always focus in on the action very well.

All in all, it's actually a pretty good game.  Kinda wonky, but good.  I'm really looking forward to the sequel.

PickelledEggs

Well. It took me forever to become decent at Starcraft, but I finally did it. I'm at the top of my bronze division. It's still only bronze, but I would get REKT on a regular basis.  I'm very happy about it :)

Hydra009

I'm starting a new Fallout New Vegas run:

* Hardcore mode
* Hard difficulty
* No companions (when possible)
* No stealing
* No chems
* No killing non-hostiles

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 15, 2016, 09:05:37 PM
I'm starting a new Fallout New Vegas run:

* Hardcore mode
* Hard difficulty
* No companions (when possible)
* No stealing
* No chems
* No killing non-hostiles
No stealing; no companions (I don't go anywhere without my EDDY!);no chems===no fun.  That does sound hard!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Bear in mind this is with a mod that adds tons of new monsters (various horrific creatures, FEV-related abominations, etc.  My personal favorite is the centaur zombie, which looks like it desperately wants to die) and another that adds Enclave patrols/camps.  Definitely a target rich environment.  But all will be well when I get a marksman carbine.  That weapon's seen me through a lot of tough enemies.

Also, I'm trying to be good.  Last game, I sided with Mr House and eventually nuked the NCR and I ended up regretting it.  This time, I really want to make nice with the locals.  Besides, stealing feels too much like a cheaty way to get rich.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 16, 2016, 02:53:01 AM
Bear in mind this is with a mod that adds tons of new monsters (various horrific creatures, FEV-related abominations, etc.  My personal favorite is the centaur zombie, which looks like it desperately wants to die) and another that adds Enclave patrols/camps.  Definitely a target rich environment.  But all will be well when I get a marksman carbine.  That weapon's seen me through a lot of tough enemies.

Also, I'm trying to be good.  Last game, I sided with Mr House and eventually nuked the NCR and I ended up regretting it.  This time, I really want to make nice with the locals.  Besides, stealing feels too much like a cheaty way to get rich.
I like the marksman, too--as long as I can get it scoped.  Does very well, except at the quarry.  The I have to go antimaterial with explosive shells. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Munch

I've not played undertale yet, and I can't pay for it right now because of waiting for my next pay cheque, but dam I can't wait to start playing it.

For some reason I want to buy one of these now.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

GrinningYMIR

[Megalovania intensifies]
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Sal1981

Started a Minecraft Realms server. I like building farms & shit.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 18, 2016, 11:45:18 AM
Started a Minecraft Realms server. I like building farms & shit.
Then you must like the Civ games.

Hydra009

Ever have bugs/issues with a game and you tweak the .ini files and fix everything?  Feels good, man.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 18, 2016, 02:04:15 PM
Ever have bugs/issues with a game and you tweak the .ini files and fix everything?  Feels good, man.
No I haven't.  I'm afraid I'm going to tweak my machine right into the shop!

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 18, 2016, 04:01:58 PM
No I haven't.  I'm afraid I'm going to tweak my machine right into the shop!
Always backup first, then you don't have to worry.  Worst case scenario is you have to revert to the backup.  Either way, you learn from the experience.

Depending on the game, changing it can be simplicity itself or slightly more complicated.  But it's great to get down to the nuts and bolts and learn a little bit about how the game is implemented.  And it's even better to fix and customize it to your liking.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 18, 2016, 05:46:52 PM
Always backup first, then you don't have to worry.  Worst case scenario is you have to revert to the backup.  Either way, you learn from the experience.

Depending on the game, changing it can be simplicity itself or slightly more complicated.  But it's great to get down to the nuts and bolts and learn a little bit about how the game is implemented.  And it's even better to fix and customize it to your liking.
Your examples scared the shit right out of me!! :)  First I think I'll bite the bullet and go on Nexus and learn how to mod other games than Steamworks Skyrim mods.