News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

I've probably crashed several of my old systems due to excessive modding in games like skyrim, and earlier then that sims 2. It is true though, modding is prof of both creativity in allowing the players to make the game into how they want it to be, and for extending its shelf life years after its release.

A pity more developers don't follow this example.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

Quote from: Nonsensei on April 03, 2016, 04:36:51 PM
See, I always thought that the more mods there were for a game the better. The more modable a game was the better.

Skyrim and, to a lesser extent, Fallout 4 have disabused me of that notion pretty harshly. Some of the stuff I want to do, like change skins and animations and models, is really REALLY complicated to me. The modders give you the barebones tools and barebones instructions and just leave you to hang yourself with them.

Hur after hour of scouring the forums or comments for the mod to see exactly what went wrong and then fixing it, by the time you actually get your game where you wanted it to be with mods your interest has waned. I have a fully modded fallout 4 installed right now and I can't even bring myself to play it because I already spend a couple days just getting ONE of the mods to work, never mind the rest.

The thing is, I'm not a computer noob. Ive been using a PC and gaming on a PC for about 20 years now. The problem isn't with the mods, its with the instructions which are so pathetic they almost guarantee you will fuck something up. Some mod will conflict with or overwrite another mod and suddenly your game wont work. But you dont know WHY it wont work so you backtrack, uninstalling every single mod one by one until the game boots. Its the only way you can figure out which mod is the problem.

Ive yet to come across a guide to mod load order that made any sense to me at all. I understand its important, but I don't understand how you can tell which mods should be loaded first.

I like that mods exist, in concept. In practice its a huge fucking pain in the ass with actually not that great of a payoff with few exceptions.
Wow!  Did you read my mind?  For Skyrim, I finished the game regular several times.  And wished I would have the courage to mod it--this was prior to Steam.  When I had to get the Steam version, I was overjoyed at all the mods that was in the workshop--and the easy with which to mod.  I currently still play and run 50/60 mods.  And check every now and again for the new ones.  Love that system.

I'd love to be able to download mods from Nexus--but I've been too fearful of screwing up my game and/or computer.  So, here I sit hoping one day to get the courage to mod FO3; New Vegas and FO4.  But I still love the vanilla versions and regard the mods as gravy; I love that they are out there, but I do not discount the vanilla versions of any of my games.  Sometime I will dedicate a couple of days of research into instructions on how to mod with Nexus.  I feel like a guy who has to fix his own car and all I have access to are some books.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

PickelledEggs

I never finished Skyrim either, mostly because I have a very short attention span though. I have started new games of it though and it is very enjoyable though...

I can't say the same for Fallout 4 though... I lost interest in that quicker than most and forgot I even had it within a month or so.

Mike Cl

Quote from: PickelledEggs on April 03, 2016, 06:38:57 PM
I never finished Skyrim either, mostly because I have a very short attention span though. I have started new games of it though and it is very enjoyable though...

I can't say the same for Fallout 4 though... I lost interest in that quicker than most and forgot I even had it within a month or so.
I'm just the opposite.  I have almost 1,000 hrs into it and have not finished all of it yet.  The new DLC that just came out will keep me going until the next one is issued. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hijiri Byakuren

I lost interest in the Elder Scrolls games after I discovered the Metroidvania genre. I'll still play Oblivion and Morrowind sometimes for nostalgia's sake, but I don't like having the whole world open to me from the get-go. I like having to poke and prod for limits and stuff that lets me overcome said limits.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

Quote from: Nonsensei on April 03, 2016, 04:36:51 PMThe thing is, I'm not a computer noob. Ive been using a PC and gaming on a PC for about 20 years now. The problem isn't with the mods, its with the instructions which are so pathetic they almost guarantee you will fuck something up. Some mod will conflict with or overwrite another mod and suddenly your game wont work. But you dont know WHY it wont work so you backtrack, uninstalling every single mod one by one until the game boots. Its the only way you can figure out which mod is the problem.
Yeah the documentation is really spotty.  Not to mention a laundry list of prerequisites and the seldom helpful comments.

I work mostly by trial and error, and I've had my share of error.  I've gradually moved over to the mod manager, which seems to reduce incompatibility problems.

QuoteIve yet to come across a guide to mod load order that made any sense to me at all. I understand its important, but I don't understand how you can tell which mods should be loaded first.
All I know is you should load every mod last.  :P

QuoteI like that mods exist, in concept. In practice its a huge fucking pain in the ass with actually not that great of a payoff with few exceptions.
Eh, I do them in batches.  A couple today, a couple tomorrow - before long, there's a noticeable improvement that lasts the rest of the installation.  It's worth the effort to me.  Plus, having a fairly unique experience is a wonderful thing.

For Skyrim, the UI and visual mods are absolutely essential.  Also, I'm a sucker for flora and fauna improvements.

For Fallout New Vegas, I was pretty disappointed that the Enclave didn't make much of an appearance, so I have a mod that adds Enclave patrols and vertibird crash sites.  And I'm a sucker for radio mods - I have one that adds Galaxy News Radio, and another station playing a bunch of real-life Conelrad tunes.  I find it grimly hilarious to trudge through the Wasteland listening to golden oldies boasting of America's nuclear might.

kilodelta

I try mods only one at a time. I never batch then launch mods. If I want 12 mods. I'll play one. Then add one and play it. And so forth. That way, the conflicting mod is obvious.

I also use Nexus mod manager which is pretty decent compared to Steam mod listings.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

PickelledEggs

I've been playing League of Legends again...  Not really sure why

PickelledEggs

My friend Brian came over yesterday around 5:30 or so and we sat down and played Gauntlet:Slayer Edition on my PS4. Next thing you know, it was 4:10 in the morning and we were on the last level. We beat every single level in one night and got stuck on the final boss, probably because we were really tired. Such a fun game.

Hydra009

I just bought the Endless Legend Shifters expansion and played a "quick game" that lasted 5 hours longer than I wanted to.  Engrossing, to say the least.

Basically, you play as a race of shapeshifting bat-moths with a decidedly japanese look.  They're difficult to describe.

I didn't know I needed this.

Their playstyle is somewhat tricky to figure out, but they can be absolutely amazing when managed well.  I had a blast with them.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 10, 2016, 02:34:58 AMEngrossing, to say the least.
All of the Endless games are engrossing. You should have known this going in. :P
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on April 10, 2016, 10:13:45 AMAll of the Endless games are engrossing. You should have known this going in. :P
I did.  And I've been pretty good about resisting that before.  But this new expansion is unusually captivating.  I was just planning on checking out the new race, I didn't expect to have one more turn fever an hour in.

Hydra009

I just played Thea: The Awakening.  Best indie turn-based strategy in fantasy setting influenced by Slavic mythology that I ever played!

You start out with a small village.  You can send villagers out expeditions (usually a combination of warriors and gatherers).  Gatherers can gather supplies from the wilderness whenever the expedition camps, but they need protection from the warriors against rats, spiders, zombies, orcs, demons, etc.  And slavers.  You can fight slavers.  Understandably, the Slavs aren't too keen on them.

In addition to gathering supplies, you clear out enemies and the nests that spawn them, which gives you even more supplies.  You bring the supplies back to the village and your crafters make better weapons and armor, which improve your expeditions.  Rinse, repeat.

The game hinges on crafting.  Lots and lots of crafting.

The "combat" (which isn't always a brawl, sometimes it can be a debate or sneaking successfully) is handled by cards.  It's a little different from what I'm used to, but it's entertaining.  You can always auto-resolve if it's not your thing.

There's lots of quests and events.  For example, a changeling visits the village.  It might do something good or bad to the villagers, depending on how you react to it.  You just have to make a decision and take your chances.

Over time, your village gets more and more villagers, builds more buildings, your soldiers get stronger, and your expeditions explorer more and more of the map.  Eventually, you get a quest to decide the fate of the world.  You get 3 options, each of which are interesting and can make sense from a certain perspective.

PickelledEggs

Went to the games workshop store again. Picked up a couple squads.

-Sent from your mom