News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Sal1981

Windows 10 Minecraft Beta should get more updates to align it towards the PC version and further away from the PE version.

Hydra009

I know I sound like a broken record here, but I'm really liking Armello.  I just played as a cutesy rabbit with a parasol and strolled into the king's throne room like Jaime fucking Lannister.  It felt like justice.

trdsf

Quote from: kilodelta on September 05, 2015, 11:33:51 PM
Steam is selling the Mad Max streaming video... it seems they're moving beyond video games. For some reason, I don't have a positive response to seeing this. But, I can't think of a single reason to really care whether or not Steam starts selling movies. Maybe I'm just becoming an old grumpy goat.
I think I'm with you here.  I'm not a big fan of the Swiss army knife approach to making a business model -- this is how companies end up getting into something they don't know how to do and eventually imploding because of it.  Steam is very good at what they already do and their extensions to being a games provider (offering more general software and utilities, the Greenlight program, and the Steam machines) make sense, but I just don't see VOD as a logical extension of that.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

School's sociology textbook:  "Video games are ultraviolent and sexually inappropriate."  :mad:

WTFG, liberals.  I suppose paintings are ultraviolet and sexually inappropriate by that logic.  I also don't get why cartoon violence or sex is inherently bad or inappropriate to depict.  Seems like puritanical sensibilities are alive and well and taking root in some surprising circles.

Munch

wonder if anyone knows how about this. With my new rig I've had no issue with all my current games I've downloaded. But i've just now downloaded Tera Rising, and while having no issue on my windows 7 system, I'm now being told Tera needs directx 9.0c to run. My new system has directx 12, and Ive read it should just identify a more advanced system, but Tera's being a sod refusing to accept 12.

If I install directx 9.0c, will that fuck about with directx 12 at all?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on September 28, 2015, 08:07:08 PMIf I install directx 9.0c, will that fuck about with directx 12 at all?
I have it on good authority that it will not.  But be sure to periodically check your other games' options windows to see that they are running the latest version of directx that they possibly can.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 28, 2015, 10:54:58 PM
I have it on good authority that it will not.  But be sure to periodically check your other games' options windows to see that they are running the latest version of directx that they possibly can.

Good point. Wildstar goes f2p today so gonna download that
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

GrinningYMIR

RED ALERT 2 FOR FREE ON ORIGIN
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

I found a fun little card game that I think some of you guys might like.  My roommate and I work on opposite shifts so we hardly ever see each other, but he loves games as much as I do and wanted a simple game that we could play together quickly.  It's called Star Realms, it's not amazing or anything, but it's good.  It's basically Star Trek with the serial numbers filed off.  A bunch of space ships and starbases.  Easy to learn and only takes about 20-30 minutes to play a match.  You start the game with a really crappy deck and steadily improve it by buying new ships and starbases.  Those get shuffled into your deck and your future hands get more and more kickass.

The rules:  you draw 5 cards every turn and play all of them.  Spaceships use their abilities and then go back into your deck.  Starbases use their abilities and stay in play.  They can use their abilities every turn until destroyed.  (It's a good idea to destroy your enemy's starbases pronto)  Most abilities give you Trade or Combat.  You use Trade to buy new cards for your deck from a pool of cards that both players get access to but neither one controls (think of it as a scifi bazaar).  You use Combat to blow stuff up.  And you might also get some cards that allow you to draw new cards (always helpful) or remove your own cards from the game (it's incredibly important to get rid of crappy cards so that you're more likely to draw good ones)  You take turns until someone's health hits zero.  It's that simple.

But the cool thing about it is that most starships/starbases belong to one of four factions:
Federation - exactly like what you think it is.  Seriously, there's a lawsuit in the works.
Star Empire - a more militaristic Federation
Machine Cult - praise the Omnissiah!  They excel at getting rid of crappy cards.
Blobs - aliens, pure DPS.

If you play two cards from the same faction in the same turn, they both get bonuses.  So it really pays to invest most of your cash in one or two factions.  You can chain some great combos that way!

We have the physical card game, but there's also a PC version that plays the same way.

Hydra009

For the approximately 1-2 humans still browsing this thread, I just watched a playthrough of a seriously good game called Soma.  It's one of those Bioshock Infinite type games - good game but ridiculously great story.  I can't explain much about it without spoiling the story, but it covers a bunch of really heavy topics - identity, meaning, euthanasia, etc.  Really gets you wondering about stuff.  And the identity issues are especially jarring for those of us who happened to be twins.

Play it, watch it, whatever.  Just please check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G69cZFPojUg

I'm still me, aren't I?

Sal1981

Thanks for the heads up. I loved RA2 bimd.

Hydra009

I'm really enjoying World of Warships right now.  I'm determined to unlock and purchase the USS North Carolina.  "Are you afire?"  "No, but they are!  Get some!"  :D

Imagine World of Tanks on the high seas, because that's basically what it's like.  Except there's a lot less hiding and you can comp stomp instead of pvp if you want.  And the distances are enormous, so you have to lead your target.  It takes some getting used to, but it's very rewarding once you get the hang of it.

And as of right now, there are still no British warships except for a single premium one, which is pretty bizarre considering that the Royal Navy was the largest in the world around WWI and WWII.  Instead, you'll see mostly American and Japanese ships, with the odd German or Russian.

Compared to World of Tanks, it's a lot less stressful (there's something about the ocean that is oddly soothing), matchmaking is better, being stock doesn't hurt your odds as much, and matches are usually over quicker.  But it's a hell of a grind.  It takes a LOT of battles to climb tiers, especially from tier 4 onward.  And although you can play just fine as a free player, there's a lot of temptation to go paid to substantially speed up the process.

If you join up, I highly recommend Aslain's modpack.  Lots of little HUD improvements and skins.  And yes, there are several MLP-themed mods, should you wish to make your cruiser 20% more awesome.

Mike Cl

I am just restlessly awaiting FO 4 on the 10th!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 05, 2015, 02:02:53 AM
I'm really enjoying World of Warships right now.  I'm determined to unlock and purchase the USS North Carolina.  "Are you afire?"  "No, but they are!  Get some!"  :D

Imagine World of Tanks on the high seas, because that's basically what it's like.  Except there's a lot less hiding and you can comp stomp instead of pvp if you want.  And the distances are enormous, so you have to lead your target.  It takes some getting used to, but it's very rewarding once you get the hang of it.

And as of right now, there are still no British warships except for a single premium one, which is pretty bizarre considering that the Royal Navy was the largest in the world around WWI and WWII.  Instead, you'll see mostly American and Japanese ships, with the odd German or Russian.

Compared to World of Tanks, it's a lot less stressful (there's something about the ocean that is oddly soothing), matchmaking is better, being stock doesn't hurt your odds as much, and matches are usually over quicker.  But it's a hell of a grind.  It takes a LOT of battles to climb tiers, especially from tier 4 onward.  And although you can play just fine as a free player, there's a lot of temptation to go paid to substantially speed up the process.

If you join up, I highly recommend Aslain's modpack.  Lots of little HUD improvements and skins.  And yes, there are several MLP-themed mods, should you wish to make your cruiser 20% more awesome.

The SS Rainbow Dash shall crush our enemies