News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

I normally don't give two shits about console exclusives, but I've been watching Until Dawn on youtube, and I kinda like it.  It's one of those movie with quicktime events combined with telltale-like choices sort of games.  The plot is basically what you'd get if you put any Jason movie, Cabin in the Woods, Saw, Heavy Rain, and the Butterfly Effect in a blender.  There's an excessive reliance on jumpscares and some dumb dialogue, but it's actually oddly entertaining.

kilodelta

Steam is selling the Mad Max streaming video... it seems they're moving beyond video games. For some reason, I don't have a positive response to seeing this. But, I can't think of a single reason to really care whether or not Steam starts selling movies. Maybe I'm just becoming an old grumpy goat.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Forza 6... God it's good to have a racing game again.

Now, fifa next week and I am set till I believe Battlefront.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mike Cl

Quote from: Shiranu on September 15, 2015, 03:29:16 AM
Forza 6... God it's good to have a racing game again.

Now, fifa next week and I am set till I believe Battlefront.
I believe Mad Max is a racing game--sort of.  Your main goal is to put together the baddest car on the planet.  Or that's how I understand it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 15, 2015, 09:23:02 AMI believe Mad Max is a racing game--sort of.  Your main goal is to put together the baddest car on the planet.  Or that's how I understand it.
Total Biscuit calls it Open World Simulator:  The Game.  It's a garden variety open world game with vehicular combat and that arkham/mordor combat system when you have to fight on foot.  It's not a racing game.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 15, 2015, 11:42:35 AM
Total Biscuit calls it Open World Simulator:  The Game.  It's a garden variety open world game with vehicular combat and that arkham/mordor combat system when you have to fight on foot.  It's not a racing game.
Well.................okay...............but it is 'racing' to build your ultimate bomb of a car.  I realize that it is sold under the RPG sandbox type.  But the car  racing/combat is central in this one.  Rage is another RPG (much older tho) that features car building and actually racing as well as combat.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

What do you guys think of Armello?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DIV8Hwy4n0

Basically, it's a board game with anthropomorphic animals.  There's the mad king in a castle in the center of the map, and all the players start off in the corners.  They fight/quest their way to power while monsters continually spawn and attack them.  So, the heroes fight not only each other, but also the monsters and ultimately, attack the mad king and claim his throne.

I really, really like the art style.  And from the gameplay videos I've seen, it's pretty lively for a board game.  "Game of Thrones only with animals" might be overselling it a bit, but still, it doesn't look like a bad title at all, imo.

Hydra009

Well, curiosity got the better of me and I tried Armello.  Loved it.  It's actually a really fun but surprisingly difficult game.  Its whimsical tone belies how frustrating it can be.  Basically, every turn you will either participate in an event or a fight, and the roll of the dice determines the outcome.  Good rolls = elated Hydra.  Bad rolls = peeved Hydra.  I've cussed more in my first couple matches than I care to admit.

Most of the mechanics are pretty straightforward, but some of them are pretty opaque.  This is definitely one of those games that takes a couple days to really figure out.

The game itself takes around an hour and the scenario is always the same (increasingly insane/dying king, war for the throne, yadda yadda) but due to the chaotic nature of the game and different ways to win, it plays differently every time.  Also, you unlock new items/spells over time, which really helps to keep it interesting.

And it doesn't hurt that this game is a card and dice-based strategy game with cute animals, which really appeals to someone like me.

Definitely a good buy when it goes on sale.

Munch

So glad to have a gaming rig again and playing game!!

Its like... mmmmmm...

for the first time, I can play all the Arkham games, final fantasy XIV, the witcher series and the dragon age series

core i7 system, 250g SSD card, 3TB hard drive, 960 graphics card, and room for expansion. I'm in pc gaming nirvana ^^
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

Quote from: Munch on September 20, 2015, 05:24:47 PM
So glad to have a gaming rig again and playing game!!

Its like... mmmmmm...

for the first time, I can play all the Arkham games, final fantasy XIV, the witcher series and the dragon age series

core i7 system, 250g SSD card, 3TB hard drive, 960 graphics card, and room for expansion. I'm in pc gaming nirvana ^^
The the Dragon Age series was great.  I had hoped that DA Origins would have been taken further than it was taken. 

Munch

I've been thinking about inquisition, but my BF keeps warning me off it because he hates DLC in games. Think its worth getting?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Munch on September 20, 2015, 07:17:26 PM
I've been thinking about inquisition, but my BF keeps warning me off it because he hates DLC in games. Think its worth getting?
DLC's can be a mixed bag.  Inquisition was okay--not nearly as good as DAO, but playable. 

Munch

yeah, I'll admit, just thinking of making the iron bull into your boyfriend just makes me want to play it ^^

Dem horns!

trdsf

Boldly forward into 2007!

Bought a used Wii.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan