News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

My roommate absolutely loves Cybran.  Oh yes.

Minimalist

I'm waiting for Europa Barbarorum II (mod) to be released for Medieval Total War II  Kingdoms.  Killing time with Darthmod for Empire TW for the rest of the month.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Hydra009

I've heard great things about both mods.  Empire really needed the overhaul.  But I loved Medieval 2 and it was the little touches that made the game great (like captured soldiers reacting when you mouse over the ransom or execute buttons).  I was particularly fond of Venice and France.  But squalor issues were really frustrating, since it inexorably leads to rebellions in even well-garrisoned cities.  On my first couple playthroughs, I naively upgraded farming/health as quickly as I could and kept taxes low, not thinking about the population would run amok in a couple generations.  Would've preferred populations to plateau out instead.

Hijiri Byakuren

I liked the Cybrans just because I could bring the boats onto land.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

GrinningYMIR

bought civ v the other day, 50 bucks but I got all of the xpac stuff, might take a while to get used to the new game

Also plan on buying Galactic civ and the DA package during the next fire sale
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

MagetheEntertainer

I just started doing some PC gaming a week ago after getting rid of my almost 9 year old laptop in exchange for a shiny new custom desktop PC that I built.  I've been making gaming videos and posting them on my You Tube channel, mostly of Shovel knight, happy wheels, and cat mario.  I'll start making vids of the major games once I buy a stand alone video card!

PickelledEggs

GUYS

for any of you PC gamers that don't have Titanfall and want it... It is on sale via Origin for $19.99 right now (for only 11 more hours) https://www.origin.com/

Savior2006

Beat X-Com, UFO Defense weeks ago. Working on the sequel now. Beat the remake Enemy Unknown, before UFO Defense. Honestly love the series.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Hydra009

I hear Xenonauts is pretty good and faithful to the original.  I really appreciate how they handle UFO interception, which is more like the original - dogpile UFOs with multiple interceptors, shoot them down over water, skip the ground battles for a smaller but safer resource boost (that last one wasn't in the original, but it should have been).  The remake only let you send out one interceptor and only after the UFO is detected and send out the Skyranger only after a UFO has been shot down or landed.  The original let you send 'em out whenever you wanted, which let you anticipate UFOs and blast 'em before they can carry out their mission.  Also, you could score big by refusing to send interceptors altogether, tailing an alien supply ship with a Skyranger until it lands and harvesting its precious goodies (mostly) intact.

Though in Xenonauts, the ground combat looks really fugly.  Me no gusta.

Jmpty

???  ??

PickelledEggs

OK so I've been playing Titanfall for at least a few days now....

My review is ∞/10 recommendation

Savior2006

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 28, 2014, 12:42:48 AM
I hear Xenonauts is pretty good and faithful to the original.  I really appreciate how they handle UFO interception, which is more like the original - dogpile UFOs with multiple interceptors, shoot them down over water, skip the ground battles for a smaller but safer resource boost (that last one wasn't in the original, but it should have been).  The remake only let you send out one interceptor and only after the UFO is detected and send out the Skyranger only after a UFO has been shot down or landed.  The original let you send 'em out whenever you wanted, which let you anticipate UFOs and blast 'em before they can carry out their mission.  Also, you could score big by refusing to send interceptors altogether, tailing an alien supply ship with a Skyranger until it lands and harvesting its precious goodies (mostly) intact.

Though in Xenonauts, the ground combat looks really fugly.  Me no gusta.

Well it's a fan made game, so I won't break their balls over that.

But yeah Enemy Unknown had a lot of simplification. Most of it wasn't bad. What I didn't like was the fact that I couldn't sell alien weapons (except as a time mission contract to a nation).

I'll look into Xenonauts soon. It seems that the best thing about it story-wise is the prick scientist, who rivals only Takukimi from LP archive in terms of being a total prick.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Hydra009

Quote from: Savior2006 on August 28, 2014, 05:38:59 PMBut yeah Enemy Unknown had a lot of simplification. Most of it wasn't bad. What I didn't like was the fact that I couldn't sell alien weapons (except as a time mission contract to a nation).
And most of those mission rewards were terrible.  Trading alien technology that you're already shorthanded on for a few measly bucks was almost always a poor trade.

I just hated how they made it into really linear game.  There's a very specific progression that you follow and every replay is going to be almost the exact same, even down to the dialog.  "We're touching down near the German border."  "Why did the aliens do something like this?"  "Hey, remember to turn off those power nodes."  "And try to get a live capture!"  Ugh. And while I did appreciate the cinematic feel, it seemed like it took control away from the player way too much.  I could practically watch a tv show in between involuntary camera panning and subsequent cinematic chatter.  It certainly had some great moments, but damn, it could be annoying, too.

UFO defense just had some crazy moments that the new one didn't even touch - stunning your first Chrysalid (and carrying it in your backpack) was a special sort of insanity, mind-control blaster murder-suicides, downing UFOs into water intentionally, using the ol' trusty stun rod on civilians, going full auto on a house to destroy its wall and reveal hiding aliens, etc.  I particularly liked how the Hidden Movement screen was just this threatening graphic which would occasionally show you brief glimpses of the enemy's actions - like them shooting at one of your soldiers, but it was intentionally shown too quickly to really understand what's going on.  It's unsettling.

Munch

I recently downloaded on sale from steam Deponia, really fun point and click game set in a post apocalyptic junk work, nicely animated and fun puzzle solving, voice acted all through.
If you like point and click games definitely give this a look.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

_Xenu_

Quote from: Munch on August 30, 2014, 05:30:15 AM
I recently downloaded on sale from steam Deponia, really fun point and click game set in a post apocalyptic junk work, nicely animated and fun puzzle solving, voice acted all through.
If you like point and click games definitely give this a look.
Purchased.

And on a related note, does anyone here play the Walking Dead or The Wolf Among us from Telltale games?
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home