News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jutter

INGRESS

just had my first meetup with a teammember. Appearantly the green "enlightenment" faction I chose is dominant here in Den Helder, the Netherlands. The cool thing about this game is that the players you run into online are bound to be locals you can also meet in person. In stead of guilds, you automaticly get local hobbyclubs. REMCONL gave me some tips (face to face) on resonator placement (you need to actually move around along the edges of your available actionradiuscirclethingy like you're spreading around physical objects for optimal coverage resonators protect your portal.) and the URL for the local Ingress enlightenment chapter. Turns out they sometimes arrange group-raids. And they were nice enough to enforce my portals and to link them into the club-grid. I also learned how to nominate future portals; this is how local landmarks get turned into portals for the game, and everyone can contribute.

This game sofar rates VERY high on the coolness scale with me. Stay tuned for further reports on long-term appeal.

And go give Ingress a try... seriously.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Jutter

Reading the dutch WIKI on Ingress... a funny factoid. The green enlightenment faction, who want to use Exotic Matter to enhance humankind's progress, are locally nicknamed The Frogs, while the sceptic conservative blue-colored resistance faction is nicknamed The Smurfs.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Agramon

Ingress eh? My brother introduced me to that almost 2 (?) years ago. It's definitely improved a lot since those early days. I binged a little too hard on it (and got pulled over by the cops for "suspicious behavior") one too many times to play like I used to, but I still always check for portals when I road trip (I like to keep a portal key or two from every new place I vacation to, like a memento of sorts). About 20% of the way through level 7, as portals in this part of Wisconsin are fairly sparse and all highly shielded and leveled. I mostly just hack them (it's all frogs round these parts) for their good loot rather than spend 5 power cubes trying to break one.

Do you check out the media things they put out? I always enjoyed the game, but never could really get into the story. It's too bad the media is all level 1 now - it used to be scaled so if you got a higher level media you could get decent XP out of recycling it.
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

Agramon

Did you guys see the trailer for Bloodborne (made by From Soft, of Demon's/Dark Souls) at E3? It looks badass:

"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

frosty

I officially need to upgrade my PC, hardware and software, very soon. Until then, only very oldskool games for me. Anything else is unplayable.

Hydra009

For anybody playing Sins of a Solar Empire:  get the Enhanced 4X mod now.  It adds hero units, revamps the diplomacy, lots of new research, new planet types, new artifacts, adds capturable neutral structures on some planets, and very lore-friendly new tooltips (as far as I'm concerned, this mod is canon)

The game is 10 times better now.  It's everything I was trying to accomplish with my own tweaking and more.  And I haven't even touched the optional recommended mods that go along with it.

The only downside is I had to turn down the graphics to medium, not because my computer can't handle it, but because the program becomes unstable with both the mod and graphics set to maximum.  Still looks good, though.  Definitely a worthwhile sacrifice.

Shiranu

Oh cool, I just started playing it again recently. Gotta check that out then.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Anyone have a good gaming mouse/keyboard combo they recommend? My keyboard sucks and my mouse is on it's last limb.

PickelledEggs

shit. that's a steal!

I ran to staples and took a plunge on this bad boy minutes after I posted that though haha http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G105-Gaming-Keyboard-Backlighting/dp/B00BBUCCKO

GrinningYMIR

Playing wow again, been a while actualy. I quit my raid guild las year after a stalker got too close. Should be fun at least.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Jutter

Quote from: PickelledEggs on June 11, 2014, 02:56:44 PM
Anyone have a good gaming mouse/keyboard combo they recommend? My keyboard sucks and my mouse is on it's last limb.
Logitech makes excellent stuff. I use their G300 gaming mouse, and G110 gaming keyboard. A cheaper keyboard might suffice for you, but get that gaming mouse.
Late to the party and I see logitech already reccomended.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Jutter on June 24, 2014, 06:41:42 PM
Logitech makes excellent stuff. I use their G300 gaming mouse, and G110 gaming keyboard. A cheaper keyboard might suffice for you, but get that gaming mouse.
Late to the party and I see logitech already reccomended.
I saw that mouse at Best Buy and tried it out. It was really nice, but I'm going to get the other one that logitech makes
This one:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Proteus-Tunable-Customizable-910-004074/dp/B00IRHE892/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1403655454&sr=1-1&keywords=logitech+gaming+mouse

It looks really awkward and odd, but it's the most comfortable mouse I have ever held in my hands. Even more than the g300 for me at least.