News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plu

I didn't know there was a might and magic boardgame! That sounds interesting. I don't actually know any of these. Have never seen them in stores either.

From what I heard, there's a major difference in boardgames between the US and Europe, with american boardgames focussing more on story, elaborate maps and tiles, loads of rules, and random chance and european style games focussing more on simple, strong rules and player strategy, with less detailed maps and box contents.

Don't know if it's true, but it'd be interesting to see that difference. Actually, I have the game Monsters Menace America, which I think is pretty american style. You can clearly see how it's completely different from most of the other stuff sold here. But I have no idea if that game is comparable to other US games.

ozymandias

Quote from: "Plu"I didn't know there was a might and magic boardgame! That sounds interesting. I don't actually know any of these. Have never seen them in stores either.

From what I heard, there's a major difference in boardgames between the US and Europe, with american boardgames focussing more on story, elaborate maps and tiles, loads of rules, and random chance and european style games focussing more on simple, strong rules and player strategy, with less detailed maps and box contents.

Don't know if it's true, but it'd be interesting to see that difference. Actually, I have the game Monsters Menace America, which I think is pretty american style. You can clearly see how it's completely different from most of the other stuff sold here. But I have no idea if that game is comparable to other US games.

Most are old wargames, they came out in the 70's and early 80's and are unavailable today.  Also that should have been wizards and warriors, not might and magic.  My bad.

_Xenu_

Quote from: "the_antithesis"It is nigh-impossible to get a worthwhile version of Tempest these days.  :(
Have you tried emulation? I've heard there's a really good version on Jaguar.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

the_antithesis

Quote from: "_Xenu_"Have you tried emulation? I've heard there's a really good version on Jaguar.

As a later post in this thread points out, the problem is the controller. Modern control schemes just cannot replicate a spinner.

And the Jaguar LOL. I have heard that Tempest 2000 is decent, but it's not worth getting a game system for one game. Also Tempest 2000 is a bit too busy and show-offy for my tastes. Much like the programmer's own Space Giraffe.

[youtube:dl0qzwd3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoT-_2wC4vY[/youtube:dl0qzwd3]

Hydra009

The prophesied days are upon us.

Jutter

The next-best way to drain your balls!
I just keep coming back to The Pinball Arcade.

What I particularly like about it, is that TPA is a virtual museum as much as a game. This month's tablepack includes an experimental Gotlieb of which only ten were ever built, and a classic 80's STERN that was chosen through vote by the players at PinballArcadeFans-forum. That's another thing... the player/devolper interaction. Aside from people bitching all the same, Farsight goes out of it's way to get the players involved in betatesting, tweaking the product, and deciding what to release next.

I've pumped well over a hundred euros into it by now, at small increments, per tablepack, over the course of months.
The Pinball Arcade will be coming to STEAM for PC soon! On Android and I-Devices there's always one free table-of-the-month to play unlimited.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Nonsensei

Quote from: "Plu"From what I heard, there's a major difference in boardgames between the US and Europe, with american boardgames focussing more on story, elaborate maps and tiles, loads of rules, and random chance and european style games focussing more on simple, strong rules and player strategy, with less detailed maps and box contents.

I dunno man. One of the most complex and long lived tabletop franchises ever created started in the UK: Warhammer.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Nonsensei

Ive been playing Neverwinter. Its a pretty well made game, worth getting a character to 60 at least.

Once you get there though its grind city unless you want to blow huge wads of cash at the Zen shop. Just to make things more complicated than they need to be, Cryptic included about 6 currencies in the game.

1) Gold - Earned by collecting it as drops and selling stuff to vendors, you can buy some basic (shitty) things in the game like the worst mounts and companions as well as basic potions, identification scrolls, and crafting supplies.

2) Astral Diamonds - A form of currency that is awarded for completing dailies and events, the AH operates using this currency.

3) Zen - Bought from the zen shop at an exorbitant price. 100 Zen costs $1. To get a larger than normal bag costs 1000 zen. To buy a single halfway decent companion costs between 1500 and 4500 zen. Yes, that $45 for a single companion on a single character, or $10 for a single large bag on a single character. The Zen store is an enormous rip in every regard. There are people who have spent thousands on this game. Literally.

4)  Tokens - If you played WoW you will know what these are. You do stuff, get the tokens, then go to the respective token vendor to spend them on special items and equipment. It takes a crapload of them to get anything decent and they don't exactly drop in huge numbers. You can really only get the endgame tokens from endless dungeon runs.

5) Valor - PvP currency, lets you buy PvP gear from the PvP vendor. Earned through PvP, nothing earth shattering there.

6) Coins - Earned at a rate of one a day, awarded for invoking (praying to the gods). They are spent on special rewards that you can only get with the coins. The only things worth getting in this area take literally one year of invoking every single day to achieve.

There is a Zen market where you can trade astral diamonds to other players for their Zen. The rate is 350-360 diamonds per 1 Zen. Most activities in the game that I have played so far reward no more than 1000 AD per completion. In other words to earn a companion doing nothing but trading AD for Zen, you would need about 1.5 million AD, or need to complete 1575 events.

They want you to spend money. You can avoid it, but you're gonna basically give up your life to do it.

ITS A TRAP.

But its a pretty trap with some decent polish. The classes are well constructed. The gameplay is very fluid, like an action RPG. Its an interesting game. Worth playing through once, but the way the economy is set up offends me so I just dabble here and there now that I have gotten a guy to 60.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Agramon"Did we lose the last gaming thread? I can't seem to find it.

Anyway, I just finished The Last of Us and all I can say is wow. A game hasn't made me ask moral questions like that in a very long time (if ever). I'd definitely recommend it if you have the time/money.
I'm  gamer. I play basketball, flag football, volleyball, golf, tennis, racketball, billards, poker, darts, handball, softball, I bike, hike, swim, surf, skindive, skydive, climb, jog, lift weights, exercise, some boardgames, spar, ski,....I play many games!

kilodelta

Quote from: "mykcob4"
Quote from: "Agramon"Did we lose the last gaming thread? I can't seem to find it.

Anyway, I just finished The Last of Us and all I can say is wow. A game hasn't made me ask moral questions like that in a very long time (if ever). I'd definitely recommend it if you have the time/money.
I'm  gamer. I play basketball, flag football, volleyball, golf, tennis, racketball, billards, poker, darts, handball, softball, I bike, hike, swim, surf, skindive, skydive, climb, jog, lift weights, exercise, some boardgames, spar, ski,....I play many games!

What? No fishing? Scum...

j/k
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Hydra009

Quote from: "mykcob4"I'm  gamer. I play basketball, flag football, volleyball, golf, tennis, racketball, billards, poker, darts, handball, softball, I bike, hike, swim, surf, skindive, skydive, climb, jog, lift weights, exercise, some boardgames, spar, ski,....I play many games!
Never heard of any of those.  Are those indie games?  Are the graphics good and how's the server pop?

SilentFutility

Quote from: "Nonsensei"
Quote from: "Plu"From what I heard, there's a major difference in boardgames between the US and Europe, with american boardgames focussing more on story, elaborate maps and tiles, loads of rules, and random chance and european style games focussing more on simple, strong rules and player strategy, with less detailed maps and box contents.

I dunno man. One of the most complex and long lived tabletop franchises ever created started in the UK: Warhammer.

Good point, I'm pretty sure they are still churning out novels based in the various universes they've created, each with one or more of their own tabletop games. To be fair most warhammer games also do have very strong, well-tested rule sets and are games of strategy as well, but certainly not at the expense of story.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "Nonsensei"

There is a difference between tabletop miniatures wargames and board games, mostly that miniatures wargames have proliferated enough to become their own thing. Sort of like how a pie is technically a form of cobbler, but has separated itself enough to not really be called a cobbler.

Plu is referring to the types of board games known as Eurogames or German game and Ameritrash. These are gaming jargon, therefore their meanings are not as concrete as one would like. Board Game Geek defines them as:

QuoteAmeritrash

n. A catchphrase for "American style boardgames". In general, this means games that emphasize a highly developed theme, player to player conflict, and usually feature a moderate to high level of luck. Examples of classic Ameritrash games include Axis & Allies, Dune, Cosmic Encounter, Talisman, and Twilight Imperium. See the Ameritrash page for more information.

Quotegerman game

n. A game from Germany. Such games typically have relatively simple rules, short playing times, fairly high levels of abstraction and player interaction, and attractive physical components. Games not from Germany that otherwise meet the criteria are occasionally included in this group, but are more frequently described as 'German-like' (See also family game)

Thing is, not all Ameritrash is from America and not all Eurogames are from Europe. But they represent different design styles, but it's not a hard and fast line.

Nonsensei

Some of the things that spawned from the Warhammer franchise were technically board games. Blood Bowl comes to mind, and has one of the most complex rule sets ever. Almost every mechanic in blood bowl operates on random chance as well.

Space Hulk is another interesting variant as well.

BTW a modernized PC rendition of Space Hulk is coming out next month. My money might as well already be in their pocket.

special_K022

Quote from: Aroura33I play some PC games, mostly MMO's,but other stuff, too.  Are there any other GIRL gamers out there?  SVZurich is, I know.  Anyone else?

Yes, ME!! :)