News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

D n D

Started by Mr.Obvious, January 04, 2019, 04:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Hey,

A friend of mine just got a starterspack for dungeons and dragons. He asked me amongst others to play THE first game with him. We don't have an experienced DM, but he wants to be one. He'd studying hard for it now and he says he thinks he can manage with this starter pack.
Never played DnD, but i figure; why not? Could be fun, and i know these people, they are friends. Even if we don't like it, it'll be good to find it out together.

Any tips on where i can find noob-level info on building a character? He asked us to do so in advance, and suggested an app, but i can't get apps on my phone anymore.
Was thinking about making a gnome character. Either like a wizard or an inventor or something. More of a utility character rather than a brute force.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Draconic Aiur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haOys7E2Zbo

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 04, 2019, 04:49:42 AM
Hey,

A friend of mine just got a starterspack for dungeons and dragons. He asked me amongst others to play THE first game with him. We don't have an experienced DM, but he wants to be one. He'd studying hard for it now and he says he thinks he can manage with this starter pack.
Never played DnD, but i figure; why not? Could be fun, and i know these people, they are friends. Even if we don't like it, it'll be good to find it out together.

Any tips on where i can find noob-level info on building a character? He asked us to do so in advance, and suggested an app, but i can't get apps on my phone anymore.
Was thinking about making a gnome character. Either like a wizard or an inventor or something. More of a utility character rather than a brute force.

http://dnd.wizards.com/

http://cadwe.free.fr/cadr/DD4/Player's%20Handbook.pdf

Draconic Aiur

https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

But if you want the actual dice it be around 8 dollars for a set give or take.

$25 to $50 for D&D Players Handbook but it doesn't hurt to know what edition your playing before you buy them.

You can check a library or a store to read and obtain what you need but to specify go to a game sop for advice.

Unbeliever

I've never played D&D, so I can't help. I would only ask you to keep us posted, it sounds like an interesting experiment.

You should be able to find plenty of stuff on-line about it, though, maybe at youtube.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 04, 2019, 01:57:04 PM
I've never played D&D, so I can't help. I would only ask you to keep us posted, it sounds like an interesting experiment.

You should be able to find plenty of stuff on-line about it, though, maybe at youtube.

Wilco!

Cavebear

I have a D&D bow, never played it (no one around to play games facetoface).  I will be interested to learn how that goes.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Plu

The best help with making a character is just following the instructions in the Player's Handbook. They're quite clear and it's all easy to follow. Also, it's not a competitive game, so it doesn't matter if you get some stuff wrong, as long as people are having fun.

I've been playing for 16 years now, mostly as a DM, and still having fun. It's a great game, especially with fun players. What's not to like about sitting around a table, making up fantastic stories, having a laugh, rolling some dice and beating up some monsters?

But yeah; let us know how it goes / went. There's often something special about fresh players, I'd love to hear what it is for you :grin:

trdsf

Wow, I think the last time I played, Second Edition had just come out.  I still have my old AD&D books from the early and mid '80s (including the edition of Deities and Demigods before TSR was reminded what copyrights were), which was the version we played most.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on February 01, 2019, 09:03:19 PM
Wow, I think the last time I played, Second Edition had just come out.  I still have my old AD&D books from the early and mid '80s (including the edition of Deities and Demigods before TSR was reminded what copyrights were), which was the version we played most.

I missed out on the D&D.  I have a box of it.  I think I have the imagination.  But nowhere to play.  So, Civ2...  Just bought an old Win 95.  Mouse arrives next week.  Needed that old PS/2 round port...

Mr.Obvious

Today is the day.

Hope it'll be fun.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 03, 2019, 02:39:13 AM
Today is the day.

Hope it'll be fun.

May the D&D be GREAT!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on February 03, 2019, 02:17:25 AM
I missed out on the D&D.  I have a box of it.  I think I have the imagination.  But nowhere to play.  So, Civ2...  Just bought an old Win 95.  Mouse arrives next week.  Needed that old PS/2 round port...
I quit playing RPGs when I got serious about writing.  After all, as author, I'm not only the players, I'm also the NPCs, the GM, the dice, the sourcebooks and the setting.  :)

I once had a GM give me a lifetime ban from ever playing a Kender again â€" in his words, "In anyone's game!  Not just mine!"  If you know what the Kender are in AD&D, you can imagine what I got up to.  It was great RP, and a great campaign, but yeah, even I admit no one's day will be improved by me playing what amounts to a halfling with no concept of fear, the curiosity of a three year old, and severe ADHD.  ;)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mr.Obvious

It was fun. But we didn't get too far before one of our party had to quit and go to his gf irl.
Hoping to finish this game with this group. But I don't want to do this on a weekly basis or anything.
A lot of bickering and looking things up, though. I think it may be best to have someone who has experience play in your first game.
We're going to see when the five of us can get together again. Apparently we still have about 95% of the story to go.

Meanwhile, I feel like logging the story. But that's stupid, right? It's a half-predetermined story anyways.

But I like my character, Baern Battlehammer.

trdsf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 03, 2019, 01:14:16 PM
It was fun. But we didn't get too far before one of our party had to quit and go to his gf irl.
Hoping to finish this game with this group. But I don't want to do this on a weekly basis or anything.
A lot of bickering and looking things up, though. I think it may be best to have someone who has experience play in your first game.
We're going to see when the five of us can get together again. Apparently we still have about 95% of the story to go.

Meanwhile, I feel like logging the story. But that's stupid, right? It's a half-predetermined story anyways.

But I like my character, Baern Battlehammer.
If you feel like logging it, log it.  That was always the best part of RPGs, when you got a good story arc going.  I couldn't tell you most of the stats and scores of my better characters, but I could tell you their stories.

That's one of the things I enjoy most about online RP, that I have to react to someone else's creativity in a way that both expresses mine and doesn't trample theirs, and that was always the best part of playing RPGs.