News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hi

Started by Arik, December 23, 2018, 10:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 17, 2019, 12:26:31 PM
I would suggest that for human progress to be made (and yes, progress is possible) it must be materialistic.  Why?  Because there is nothing else but the material universe.  To base 'knowledge' on anything else is whim and fancy--magic and miracle--there is no 'there' there.  For over 2000 years christianity, for example, has had free reign in the world.  I don't see any progress it has made--in fact, I'd suggest the world is a more dangerous and poorer place because of it (and the other religions of the world).  Their airy-fairy ways; don't use reason only faith for your thoughts and actions--that simply leads to lack of progress and willful ignorance and stupidity.

As I pointed out, per-modern Micronesia was happy, and had no iPhones.  Quality over quantity.  If you have work you love (even if it is harvesting coconuts), a family you love and who loves you back, if you have friends who will support you ... does the level of technology, the lifespan, the chatchkas really matter?

Notice I am talking psychology, not religion.  But a quote ... “For what profits a man if he gains the whole world but loses his own soul” ... but not a meme-de-jour.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I would suggest that for human progress to be made (and yes, progress is possible) it must be materialistic.  Why?  Because there is nothing else but the material universe.  To base 'knowledge' on anything else is whim and fancy--magic and miracle--there is no 'there' there.  For over 2000 years christianity, for example, has had free reign in the world.  I don't see any progress it has made--in fact, I'd suggest the world is a more dangerous and poorer place because of it (and the other religions of the world).  Their airy-fairy ways; don't use reason only faith for your thoughts and actions--that simply leads to lack of progress and willful ignorance and stupidity. 
Faith just means "believe what you're told by the religious leaders of your religion."
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 17, 2019, 05:16:58 PM
Faith just means "believe what you're told by the religious leaders of your religion."

Gullibility just means "believe what you're told by the political leaders of your party".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Pretty much.  There has never been an instance where religion provided a more correct answer to a question about the universe than science did.

Put scientists and engineers together, and you get CERN and the International Space Station.

Put clerics of whatever stripe together, and you not only get fighting between, but within religions.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on February 18, 2019, 05:46:40 AM
Pretty much.  There has never been an instance where religion provided a more correct answer to a question about the universe than science did.

Put scientists and engineers together, and you get CERN and the International Space Station.

Put clerics of whatever stripe together, and you not only get fighting between, but within religions.

Put science together, get Zyklon B and the atom bomb.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Arik

Quote from: trdsf on February 18, 2019, 05:46:40 AM

Religions, religions ...................who cares about the self imposed intermediaries between God and the masses.
Nothing to do with God.

QuotePut scientists and engineers together, and you get CERN and the International Space Station.

Wonder why CERN pay tribute to SHIVA the very first scientist on earth and wonder why CERN is slowly discovering what SHIVA said thousand years ago?

QuotePut clerics of whatever stripe together, and you not only get fighting between, but within religions.

Religions, religions...........who cares.
Nothing to do with spirituality.

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on February 18, 2019, 06:21:57 AM
Put science together, get Zyklon B and the atom bomb.

I hate it Burach, when you don't finish your thought.  You forgot--but, but......Hilary and Obama.................!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Arik

Quote from: Baruch on February 17, 2019, 11:38:07 AM
I am a student of Zen.  To be woke you have to abandon reason.  But not empiricism, which is broadly interpreted as the sum of all personal experience (as opposed to public narrative).

It really depend where reason come from.
There is a volatile reason that come from physical science and the universal reality and one reason that come from within but in order to understand this reason a person must have build his-her consciousness to an high degree.

QuoteMarxism and Capitalism both believe in the myth of progress.  But progress has to be humanistic, not materialistic.

Yes.
Marxism and Capitalism believe in a very strange idea of progress which has nothing to do with human progress.

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

Arik

I suppose it must be very very hard to understand whether the amount of good is more than the amount of bad in favor of religions but after all who cares.

As far as the belief that there is only the material universe this belief is as bad as any of the religious dogmas.
The day you or anyone else will show that the consciousness is made of matter then I will apologize with all those who said that there is nothing else but the material universe.

I am however adamant that that day will never come.

Hydra009

Quote from: Arik on February 17, 2019, 08:50:58 AMSpiritual development doesn't come very easily through reasoning.
*eyes roll*  Gee, I wonder why.

Hydra009

Quote from: Arik on February 18, 2019, 09:19:41 AMAs far as the belief that there is only the material universe this belief is as bad as any of the religious dogmas.
The day you or anyone else will show that the consciousness is made of matter then I will apologize with all those who said that there is nothing else but the material universe.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 18, 2019, 08:46:07 AM
I hate it Burach, when you don't finish your thought.  You forgot--but, but......Hilary and Obama.................!!!

Well, Hillary and Obama had nothing to do with Zyklon B or the atom bomb, except ...

Hillary and Obama were behind the false flag gas attacks in Syria, the revolt in Libya, and the nuclear confrontation in Ukraine ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Arik on February 18, 2019, 08:56:36 AM

It really depend where reason come from.
There is a volatile reason that come from physical science and the universal reality and one reason that come from within but in order to understand this reason a person must have build his-her consciousness to an high degree.

Yes.
Marxism and Capitalism believe in a very strange idea of progress which has nothing to do with human progress.

Rationality (aka rational numbers only) ... 2+2=4 therefore there is no irrationality!  Pythagoras is G-d.

Empiricism (aka the obvious) ... I drop something and it falls, therefore there are no supernatural phenomena!  Galileo is G-d.

Reality ... rationalists prefer the rational, and ignore the irrational ... empiricists prefer the natural, and ignore the supernatural.  Both engage in cult of personality, particularly all properly degreed academics.  This is what happens when people go to college to be brainwashed.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Arik on February 18, 2019, 09:19:41 AM

I suppose it must be very very hard to understand whether the amount of good is more than the amount of bad in favor of religions but after all who cares.

As far as the belief that there is only the material universe this belief is as bad as any of the religious dogmas.

I am however adamant that that day will never come.

I can understand why you think you live in a world of wonders and magic.  The wind must drive you crazy, since you can't see it.  And electricity and dog whistles must seem like miracles to you.  Of course infrared light cannot exist for you cannot see it.  Gravity must just boggle what passes for a mind for you. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

I still find magnets mind boggling.  As did Einstein as a child.  You have to understand Dirac Equation theory to understand it.  Do you understand the Dirac Equation?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.