News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hi

Started by Arik, December 23, 2018, 10:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Quote from: Arik on January 07, 2019, 07:35:37 AM
Are you saying that you need evidence to prove that the driver is not a product of the vehicle?

An analogy is only an analogy, and no analogies are perfect. Neither do they count as evidence.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 07, 2019, 11:43:59 AM
You didn't provide the definitions of the terms I requested. Your claim remains both vaguely defined and therefor indefensible. You can't expect me to understand your arguments if you don't understand them yourself. How is a plant inferior to an animal? Contrary to popular belief, no living thing is more highly evolved than another. Every living thing evolved to survive in its environment, and they are good at surviving. For example, some fruit bearing plants have a symbiotic relationship with animals, where animals obtain sustenance from the plants, and the animals in exchange spread and fertilize the seeds. Neither one is "superior" to the other, as I see it.

As for the rest, you clearly are set in your thinking and are not capable of honest thought. You can't focus, your arguments are all over the place, and you continually fail to provide evidence of your claims.
I think Arik's problem is one of being inarticulate, unable to put English sentences together in a way that we, the readers, can understand. My guess would be a lack of decent education is the cause of the inability to state things clearly and succinctly..
God Not Found

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on January 07, 2019, 12:36:21 PM
Few people "introspect" here.  They deny the relevance of their own minds or that of other people.  Only external senses matter (and that is what materialists would say, wouldn't they?).
Generalize much????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 07, 2019, 01:45:26 PM
I think Arik's problem is one of being inarticulate, unable to put English sentences together in a way that we, the readers, can understand. My guess would be a lack of decent education is the cause of the inability to state things clearly and succinctly..
Amen!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

I don't understand why emergent phenomena would be considered "magic," since it's obvious that emergent phenomena do exist. Water is wet, but not when there is only one molecule of it. Wetness emerges when the number of water molecules reaches sufficient numbers, and not before. How many that is I don't know, though. Brains are conscious, but not when there is only one neuron.

QuoteConsciousness is an emergent property of the brain, resulting from the communication of information across all its regions and cannot be reduced to something residing in specific areas.

Consciousness Is the Whole Brain. It's Not Reducible.
God Not Found

Minimalist

QuoteExplanations by monkeys isn't of interest to me.

We're all primates.  You're just going to have to deal with that.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

aitm

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 07, 2019, 01:45:26 PM
My guess would be a lack of decent education is the cause of the inability to state things clearly and succinctly..

That's funny I was thinking about the same thing....like home schooled by some hippy mother what got too much mescaline in the 80's and burnt her mind into yoga doga do.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 07, 2019, 01:22:19 PM
No, it doesn't. It shows that some physical processes are non-local, not that all of them are.

I clearly demonstrated that writing on the internet is an example of non-local mind.  Would you care to dispute that example?  I wasn't talking about the cost of tea in China.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I have no idea what you're talking about, and, I fear, neither do you.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 07, 2019, 01:54:50 PM
Generalize much????

Yes, see my response to Unbeliever.  We generalize, categorize, specialize ... it is called thinking.  In Indian terms, y'all are Lokayata/Charvaka circa 800 BCE.

1. Perception is the only means to knowledge
2. Inference from sense data is unreliable
3. Only matter exists
4. In a body where an appropriate admixture of matter exists, consciousness spontaneously appears
5. Only concentration on immediate life is important
6. Scriptures are of no value

So congratulations, y'all have reinvented something from 2800 years ago.

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 07, 2019, 01:55:54 PM
Amen!!!

English might not be his first language.  Ad hominems attacks are normal among the usual trolls here.  I would like to see any of you do as well in Hindi as he does in English.  Also, don't use Christian language, or Satan won't let you into Hell ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 07, 2019, 02:02:12 PM
I don't understand why emergent phenomena would be considered "magic," since it's obvious that emergent phenomena do exist. Water is wet, but not when there is only one molecule of it. Wetness emerges when the number of water molecules reaches sufficient numbers, and not before. How many that is I don't know, though. Brains are conscious, but not when there is only one neuron.

Consciousness Is the Whole Brain. It's Not Reducible.

You worship what you do, I will worship what I do ;-)  This is what one gets taking monkeys seriously (but no insults to Hanuman, the monkey king who helped King Rama defeat the Demons).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on January 07, 2019, 02:03:06 PM
We're all primates.  You're just going to have to deal with that.

You monkey shit in your hand, I monkey shit in mine.  But some monkeys think their shit is special shit.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 07, 2019, 07:05:40 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about, and, I fear, neither do you.

You are projecting again.

I am intelligible in multiple languages.

And you usually are intelligible in English.

It is OK if you don't understand.

This isn't about egos or virtue signaling.

This is about human variability aka ability/handicap (at least at one point in time).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on January 07, 2019, 07:01:55 PM
I clearly demonstrated that writing on the internet is an example of non-local mind.  Would you care to dispute that example?  I wasn't talking about the cost of tea in China.
You and clearly demonstrating anything does not compute............................