Damned Catholics - The Gift That Keeps On Giving!

Started by Minimalist, December 19, 2018, 12:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 25, 2018, 08:41:13 PM
I disagree.  Yes, I'm not Jewish.  But my ancestors lived in pathetic sod one-room huts in England and were consigned to sons following fathers in trade forever, daughters married off in arrangements, and the families living under the will of overlords. 

In the US, my ancestors worked farms that barely kept them alive, or went to the textile mills in NE living the same lives as yours.  Don't tell me I don't understand...

And try life as an atheist sometime.  Look at this link and note the scale on the right if you don't want to bother to read the text.

http://www.pewforum.org/2014/07/16/how-americans-feel-about-religious-groups/

So ... feel like everyone wants to kill you?  That is pretty Jewish, bro!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 25, 2018, 10:15:58 PM
Not being able to read minds, I am constantly torn between the ideas the adherents to religions actually believe this nonsense, or whether they just societally-adaptive and follow the crowd. 

My thoughts about the LEADERS of religions is a bit worse.  Split somewhere between deluded idiots and con-artists who don't want to work for a living...

isn't that a false dichotomy?  Did you consciously decide as a pre-schooler, to adopt English?  Once you were helpless as a baby ... and all of you is built on that poor beginning.  Same with all of us.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

And aren't religitards lucky to be born and raised in the one place where the "one true god" is worshiped?  Oddly, or perhaps not, they all think that way.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 29, 2018, 06:18:50 PM
And aren't religitards lucky to be born and raised in the one place where the "one true god" is worshiped?  Oddly, or perhaps not, they all think that way.

Polytheism is much more sensible.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

And as usual the motherfucking perverts in dresses don't get it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/04/homosexuality-blame-sexual-abuse-not-catholic-church-claims/

QuoteHomosexuality is to blame for sexual abuse, not Catholic church, claims German cardinal

I wonder.  Is there a bishop anywhere who is not a complete scumbag?

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Unbeliever

Were those homosexuals who covered up and empowered the abuse for decades? Or was it centuries?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Minimalist on January 04, 2019, 01:30:43 PM
Homosexuality is to blame for sexual abuse, not Catholic church, claims German cardinal

Bacteria are to blame for infection, not the staff who ignored infection control protocols, claimed the hospital administrator.

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on January 04, 2019, 01:30:43 PM
And as usual the motherfucking perverts in dresses don't get it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/04/homosexuality-blame-sexual-abuse-not-catholic-church-claims/

I wonder.  Is there a bishop anywhere who is not a complete scumbag?

Authorities in general are scumbags.  The whole bishop thing was a bad idea ... see Ignatius of Antioch, executed 107 CE.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

-- H. L. Mencken

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 19, 2018, 01:32:17 PM
The current pope, Francis, was just a PR move on the part of the RCC to improve their image. It worked, too, to a large extent.
I've been saying that for years.

There was a time when the PR campaign was at its apex, even a few people here were singing his praises and wondering aloud if my ongoing wariness towards the Vatican was misplaced, perhaps even pathological.

Instead, I simply figured that headlines from "brave" statements absent any policy changes amounts to nothing and is more likely than not just a PR ploy.  Called it.

I really wish that I had been wrong, though.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 04, 2019, 10:52:31 PM

There was a time when the PR campaign was at its apex, even a few people here were singing his praises and wondering aloud if my ongoing wariness towards the Vatican was misplaced, perhaps even pathological.

Instead, I simply figured that headlines from "brave" statements absent any policy changes amounts to nothing and is more likely than not just a PR ploy.  Called it.

What does Catholic mean?  It means that what they do, they have done, from the beginning.  And that what they do is universally done throughout the Western Roman Empire.  It isn't sectarian or heretical.  Which is to mean, in their lights, that it is perfect ... and therefore unchangeable.  You see this same thing with the Eastern Roman Empire churches.  And with Islam and Orthodox Judaism.  It means, we are right, you are wrong, and we won't be changing ever.  In that ontology, progress is inconceivable.

So pretty much any "change" has to be window dressing.  That is why they had a paroxysm over Pope John XXIII eliminating the Latin mass.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

It is unlikely that any atheists ever held out any hope that any Pope would be essentially rational.  What are the odds?  Its likelier that Conservative US Republicans would choose a Putin puppet as their leader.  Oh wait.  That seems to have happened...  Sorry.  Nevermind...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 05, 2019, 04:30:14 AM
It is unlikely that any atheists ever held out any hope that any Pope would be essentially rational.  What are the odds?  Its likelier that Conservative US Republicans would choose a Putin puppet as their leader.  Oh wait.  That seems to have happened...  Sorry.  Nevermind...

The Dems did ... Obama/Uranium One.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Yeah, I know what you mean. I often wish I were wrong about this, that, or the other thing. It sucks being a pessimist and being so often proved right.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 05, 2019, 02:31:42 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I often wish I were wrong about this, that, or the other thing. It sucks being a pessimist and being so often proved right.

Let being "right" be the reward.  Sometimes, it is all we have.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!