News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A Welcome Trend!

Started by Minimalist, December 14, 2018, 12:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minimalist

https://www.newsweek.com/2018/12/21/evangelicals-republicans-trump-millenials-1255745.html

QuoteSince the 1970s, white evangelicals have formed the backbone of the Republican base. But as younger members reject the vitriolic partisanship of the Trump era and leave the church, that base is getting smaller and older. The numbers are stark: Twenty years ago, just 46 percent of white evangelical Protestants were older than 50; now, 62 percent are above 50. The median age of white evangelicals is 55. Only 10 percent of Americans under 30 identify as white evangelicals. The exodus of youth is so swift that demographers now predict that evangelicals will likely cease being a major political force in presidential elections by 2024.

The sooner we toss that ancient piece of shit in the trash and start facing modern realities the better off we'll be.  We just have to hope it won't be too late.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 14, 2018, 12:04:31 PM
https://www.newsweek.com/2018/12/21/evangelicals-republicans-trump-millenials-1255745.html

The sooner we toss that ancient piece of shit in the trash and start facing modern realities the better off we'll be.  We just have to hope it won't be too late.

So are you Vulcan or Cardasian?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

I am an ATHEIST.  I will have no gods before me!

BWAHAHA!
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Unbeliever

I'm hoping that the internet will help to educate people, though I know that can be a two-way street. Just as much BS can be found on the net as real facts, but maybe the facts will eventually win out. I expect that the evangelicals won't go away without putting up a fight. If they can make it so the laws are all on their side they may be able to turn America into a theocracy. I know that's what they'd love to see, and there are still too many very influential Christians who will try to make it so.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 14, 2018, 01:13:35 PM
I'm hoping that the internet will help to educate people, though I know that can be a two-way street. Just as much BS can be found on the net as real facts, but maybe the facts will eventually win out. I expect that the evangelicals won't go away without putting up a fight. If they can make it so the laws are all on their side they may be able to turn America into a theocracy. I know that's what they'd love to see, and there are still too many very influential Christians who will try to make it so.

Evangelicals ... around for 2000 years now, not counting the Buddhists.  I wouldn't hold my breath for your progress.  People don't wise up, until it is too late, when they are at the Last Judgement (of Osiris).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Minimalist on December 14, 2018, 12:04:31 PM

Sometimes the only solution to difficult politics is just to let the old idiots die off. 

And quite frankly, one of MY goals is to not be one of those old idiots...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 21, 2018, 09:15:56 AM
Sometimes the only solution to difficult politics is just to let the old idiots die off. 

And quite frankly, one of MY goals is to not be one of those old idiots...

So that is why the D-Congress is going to chose the oldest reps to lead?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 21, 2018, 12:36:46 PM
So that is why the D-Congress is going to chose the oldest reps to lead?

Ageist!  The correct term for a Democratic leader of "some years" is "experienced".

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 21, 2018, 02:23:16 PM
Ageist!  The correct term for a Democratic leader of "some years" is "experienced".

Best American political leaders are like McCain ... so old they are dead.  Sorry you loved him.  Did he reciprocate?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 21, 2018, 07:13:10 PM
Best American political leaders are like McCain ... so old they are dead.  Sorry you loved him.  Did he reciprocate?

My views on McCain are complicated.  I didn't admire him BECAUSE he was a POW of great personal integrity.  There were others like him who we don't remember (sadly).  I admired him because of who he became.  I didn't usually agree with his political views, but I knew he wasn't saying things just to get votes or support in Congress. 

He was that rare person who comes around in a generation and who defines honesty, honor, and service to nation.  He drove me crazy sometimes, but I always respected him. 

Who will be the next "John McCain"?

Baruch

John Glenn was the pre-McCain.  I can admire him, if not agree with him.  McCain tended to be a ... all thumbs kind of guy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I don't know if this is of much interest, I haven't been able to finish reading it yet. I already see things I don't agree with, like atheists having a faith position, a religion. I'm curious to see what y'all think of it.

America’s New Religions
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

_Xenu_

Quote from: Baruch on December 14, 2018, 12:31:05 PM
So are you Vulcan or Cardasian?
Ok, call me strange, and I will probably regret this, but what do either the Vulcan's or the Cardassians have to do with this?
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Minimalist

McCain was a warmonger.  He never saw an international issue that he didn't think we should drop bombs on.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 26, 2018, 05:34:19 PM
I don't know if this is of much interest, I haven't been able to finish reading it yet. I already see things I don't agree with, like atheists having a faith position, a religion. I'm curious to see what y'all think of it.

America’s New Religions

Confabulating theology with ideology.  Both are different flavors of crazy, even if ideology isn't a religion or vice versa.

Also the article is nostalgia for an world that never existed ... like all nostalgia, is it crap.  The Britain/US was crap 50 years ago, and still is.

And BTW, on the terms used in the article, the New Religion was going strong on college campuses 50 years ago.  Nothing new about it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.