News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Native American religion ...

Started by Baruch, October 22, 2019, 07:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arQtrzNUEFE

This was 60 years ago, but is closer to the original than today.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6qf7y-QOvg

Medicine men unite!  I was a medical admin for 22 years.

A more White patriarchal version ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcYYj7Ye6_A
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Four Corners has Ute, Apache, Navajo, Hopi and Pueblo peoples.  Here is an Apache ceremony ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-miKzuLfMY
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Powwow competitions have very fancy costumes, but the intent is still ... magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foXwLJKrJak

I have been to a few local small powwows over the years.

Having to move ... I will miss my Lakota spirit warrior neighbor.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

The small native American tribe that owns the company I work for has weekly and other regularly scheduled get-togethers in order to try to keep their traditions and beliefs alive and well within the population. Unfortunately, this has unforeseen negative consequences. The younger people do not like to leave the economically depressed area they live in because it would limit their participation in these activities. This limits the opportunities available to them to break the cycle of poverty, substance abuse, and violence they were born into. So while in principle I don't have a problem with trying to keep their traditions and beliefs alive, in practice it is keeping the tribal members from improving their lot in life.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on October 23, 2019, 07:29:59 AM
The small native American tribe that owns the company I work for has weekly and other regularly scheduled get-togethers in order to try to keep their traditions and beliefs alive and well within the population. Unfortunately, this has unforeseen negative consequences. The younger people do not like to leave the economically depressed area they live in because it would limit their participation in these activities. This limits the opportunities available to them to break the cycle of poverty, substance abuse, and violence they were born into. So while in principle I don't have a problem with trying to keep their traditions and beliefs alive, in practice it is keeping the tribal members from improving their lot in life.

The term "rez" is a word of abuse.  But this has been going on for 100 years, as the rural economy collapses in favor of the largest metro areas.  Ultimately to be like Mexico, with a huge percentage in the capital city, to grift the graft.  I would hope that with the Internet, they can have a more diffuse support of tradition.

In Navajo lands, this required replacing the BIA and Church schools with Navajo run day and boarding schools.  Navajos have the largest population, so they can benefit from economy of scale (though small compared to White society).  There is even a Rosetta Stone series to teach their language.  Kiowa I believe only has 50 native speakers.  Navajo has 150,000.  The largest of all is in Mexico, the Nahua people, about 1.5 million native speakers, but 28-30 dialects.

The biggest limitation is that their culture is taught by aunts and uncles.  Navajos have 4 clans for each individual (4 grandparent clans).  With the smaller number of extended families, then fewer elders to teach.  And if you could imagine full diffusion of the population off the rez, then hard for any Navajo to maintain "Family" contact, same as for White folk.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

There are only about 350 total members of the tribe that owns our company. They don't have a reservation because no lands were assigned to them by the government. The tribal government has been recognized as a sovereign entity by the US government since 1939 though. All members also hold dual citizenship in the smaller tribe and the larger Muscogee Creek nation. 

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on October 23, 2019, 05:22:14 PM
There are only about 350 total members of the tribe that owns our company. They don't have a reservation because no lands were assigned to them by the government. The tribal government has been recognized as a sovereign entity by the US government since 1939 though. All members also hold dual citizenship in the smaller tribe and the larger Muscogee Creek nation.

in some small tribes ... Mohave and other lower Colorado River tribes ... there has been a purge, using the "not 100% of our tribe" excuse.  To concentrate the wealth of the tribe in fewer hands.  Smaller tribes can be like bad families.  Cherokee require 25%+ Cherokee ancestry.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Baruch on October 23, 2019, 06:20:00 PM
in some small tribes ... Mohave and other lower Colorado River tribes ... there has been a purge, using the "not 100% of our tribe" excuse.  To concentrate the wealth of the tribe in fewer hands.  Smaller tribes can be like bad families.  Cherokee require 25%+ Cherokee ancestry.

The United Keetoowah Band is the only one of the three branches of the Cherokee that requires a 25% blood quantum. These people are descendants of Cherokee who migrated to Oklahoma before the forced relocation. The Eastern Band located in western North Carolina requires 1/16th. These people are all decended from about 800 Cherokee that avoided the Trail of Tears and remained in North Carolina. The Cherokee Nation only requires direct lineage. These are descendants of people that survived the Trail of Tears. There are about 14000 Keetoowah Band, 16,000 Eastern Band, and 230,000 Cherokee Nation members.