News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I have a request for you all....

Started by Smartmarzipan, June 20, 2013, 01:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smartmarzipan

Okay. In trying to make this forum a more "happening" kind of joint (that's the jive lingo for all you squares out there), I'd like to ask every one to find a couple of subjects that interest you, find some news or stories or opinions or anything, go to the respective subforums, and create a post that will generate interest and discussion. We've had these horrible crashes and lost a lot of archived stuff, and then there was the talk about this place not having any new members coming in and how it's dying....let's make it a bit more lively and interesting, yes? I found the History section incredibly sad, so I posted a few stories there. So, my request if for y'all to dig up something neat for every one to talk about and get posting! Perhaps we can get the attention of new people, eh?
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

WitchSabrina

Wonderful suggestion.
Are we dying?  I can't keep up with reading everyone's posts.  LOL   I do like a good spar between members now and again.  Gets the blood pumping.  But mostly I like that people are fearless to share their opinions here.  To me - that's groovy.

But yes........... new members always a plus. I'm with ya.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Wonderful suggestion.
Are we dying?  

Well, I know shortly after the crash there was some discussion about not having any traffic coming through, right before Reggie (the previous owner) sold this site. I remember a few years ago this place had new people every day. So, I think we should all work towards contributing as much as we can.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Wonderful suggestion.
Are we dying?  

Well, I know shortly after the crash there was some discussion about not having any traffic coming through, right before Reggie (the previous owner) sold this site. I remember a few years ago this place had new people every day. So, I think we should all work towards contributing as much as we can.

I think it's great when forum regulars make a point of welcoming new comers, listening to where they are in life with their atheism, etc and letting new people know that we're Not a bunch of elitist snobs unwilling to get to know newbies.
In fact, this is one of the only places I've ever seen, forum wise, that's very welcoming to new people.  Most forums form very tight clicks so newbies are Always outsiders. AF is not like that. You're only an outsider here if you're an asshole.
All the while - we *do* form friendships here, too.  So trolls can't come stomping through here and take a dump - but regulars won't defend one another.  Because we're good at that too.  Non-asshole newbies should feel right at home here.

the_antithesis

You want me to post what I'm interested in?

Your funeral, Seymour.

wolf39us

Actually, the real issue was our placement on google.

If you go onto google right now and type "atheist forums" you will see our page first now!  I do believe we have been getting some new traffic!

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "the_antithesis"You want me to post what I'm interested in?

Your funeral, Seymour.

:rollin:   Oh shit.  :shock:  That's true.  Eegads........... keep the bizarre Youtubes to a min.   k?  You'll scare people off for sure. :rollin:

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "wolf39us"Actually, the real issue was our placement on google.

If you go onto google right now and type "atheist forums" you will see our page first now!  I do believe we have been getting some new traffic!

Sweet! Now, let's get 'em to stay!  :-D

surly74

good idea...

one thing though i noticed was before the crash there were some very interesting but very flammable conversations going on. It seemed like there was a lot of infighting and deterioration of threads. it just got really tiresome to read.

having said that i've been browsing but not really posting because there wasn't anything that interested me. Having said THAT i'm all for finding interesting things and trying to generate discussion.

...and now back to the matches.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "surly74"good idea...

one thing though i noticed was before the crash there were some very interesting but very flammable conversations going on. It seemed like there was a lot of infighting and deterioration of threads. it just got really tiresome to read.

And I'm guilty of that. I'm trying harder NOT to do this, though.

Quotehaving said that i've been browsing but not really posting because there wasn't anything that interested me. Having said THAT i'm all for finding interesting things and trying to generate discussion.

Excellent. :)

the_antithesis

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"

Your funeral, Seymour.

:rollin:   Oh shit.  :shock:  That's true.  Eegads........... keep the bizarre Youtubes to a min.   k?  You'll scare people off for sure. :rollin:
[youtube:2vwmmyy2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6vlVtDfGH0[/youtube:2vwmmyy2]

AllPurposeAtheist

I really hope it doesn't turn into some sort of ultra censored forum where if your comments don't seem 'serious enough' or off topic in some peoples opinions you're cast to the wilderness.
Here's the rub. There are many things I do care about, but watching or reading news every day it's become quite obvious that the powers that be in this world don't take the issues serious enough leaving me to think that me taking them serious is a complete waste of my time. Things here sometimes feel exactly the same.
I get what you're saying and coming from Smartzy, but get where I'm at as well. I'm often flippant because so many people are to fucking self important and tend to try to dictate what should be important to the rest of us.
Let's at least try to keep a balance of 'oh god, this is sooooo important with who fucking cares?'
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

WitchSabrina

I getting some conflicting stuff here.
APA you seem to be asking for a balance between silly and serious - which in my opinion we have always had.
Surly seems to be concerned with members getting into smacking contests - which in my opinion we have always had.
Place looks Totally Normal to me, folks.
I don't see a problem.

Are there things we need to fix?  
I see us as very welcoming towards newbies unless they are assholes.  That Never goes over well - soooo.....
Did something change and I missed it?  Should we be More serious?  I kinda like that I feel very Uncensored here.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "the_antithesis"
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"

Your funeral, Seymour.

[youtube:50ohx1l0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6vlVtDfGH0[/youtube:50ohx1l0]

:rollin:
You spoil me.

AllPurposeAtheist

I left another site that became wayyy to serious. I just don't want it to happen here. They completely lost their sense of balance it seemed.. AS IF being an atheist was serious shit deserving only of serious, scientific study.. :roll:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.