News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Psychology

Started by Solitary, June 20, 2013, 11:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "mykcob4"You obviously don't know much about psycology. It is a science. It follows the scientific method and it does far more than you would have anyone believe/

It might have started off with a load of theories that didn't pan out.  But it has grown as a science.  Or we wouldn't have shit like this.

Spot the gorilla

Wish I didn't know how this works so I could fall for it :.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Solitary

:evil:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solitary

jenluvsjere

There is research out there which supports psychotherapy in populations such as those depression, PTSD, and anxiety disorders. However, some of the sample sizes are small, and the quality of the research may not be top notch. I believe from what I remember, the kind of idea is that when paired together psychotherapy and psycho-pharmacological agents are most effective, versus being used as treatments individually. One thing I have been disappointed in is just how much medicine lacks research to support it. Even though I am an atheist, and I love to have a logical explanation for how something works, I have had to resign myself to accept "If it works for you, then do it." I think there is no easy answer in some of these cases until more concrete evidence appears. It's very possible some things if they appear to work are either 1. placebo, or 2. working via a mechanism that is not currently understood. Personally, I don't particularly like psychotherapy in terms of being a reliable form of treatment.

Mermaid

I went to a therapist last year for the first time and it helped me a great deal to sort through things.

You can tell me it's all bunk, that's fine.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Solitary

Solitary

Solitary

Shiranu

I'm still trying to figure out if you are calling psychology a religious/placebo effect/what ever thing.... or just certain segments of it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Solitary

SGOS

I appreciate the effort you put into this, and I did read your entire post because it's something I'm interested in.  It seems like a lot of work to make a relatively simple point.  It's not a point I disagree with, by the way.  But there is nothing to follow?  You don't advocate throwing out psychotherapy after all that?  I was expecting that to be a subsequent issue.

Solitary

bennyboy

This one's too easy.

Psychology means "study of the mind."  Scientists (try to) study the mind.  They use numbers 'n' experiments 'n' sich.

So did Freud, by the way.  He might have been kooky, but he was also diligent in his way-- he broke down a lot of assumptions and barriers to further inquiry, which in my mind makes him a scientist, albeit of a different breed.
Insanity is the only sensible response to the universe.  The sane are just making stuff up.

GurrenLagann

Spoiler tags guys, jeez.  :-|
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Solitary