SJWs attempt to destroy programming ...

Started by Baruch, September 24, 2018, 08:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on October 01, 2018, 01:20:59 PM
Well, I COULD be here talking to all you being a billionaire...  Or I could have become a Senator.  Instead, I just live pleasantly and happily retired.  I think I got away lucky.  And besides, those grapes were probably sour anyway...  ;)
That's the ticket!

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on October 01, 2018, 01:31:34 PM
That's the ticket!

Things could be worse.  I shook hands with Ted Kennedy once.  And 2 different Representatives offerred me a district manager job (I used to have a gummint job supporting Congressional offices with furniture "and whatnot".  But I escaped into genteel poverty as a telecomunications project manager.  Much more fun and a very much better retirement package. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Plu

+Contributor Covenant Code of Conduct
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+
+Our Pledge
+==========
+
+In the interest of fostering an open and welcoming environment, we as
+contributors and maintainers pledge to making participation in our project and
+our community a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of age, body
+size, disability, ethnicity, sex characteristics, gender identity and
+expression, level of experience, education, socio-economic status, nationality,
+personal appearance, race, religion, or sexual identity and orientation.
+
+Our Standards
+=============
+
+Examples of behavior that contributes to creating a positive environment
+include:
+
+* Using welcoming and inclusive language
+* Being respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences
+* Gracefully accepting constructive criticism
+* Focusing on what is best for the community
+* Showing empathy towards other community members
+
+
+Examples of unacceptable behavior by participants include:
+
+* The use of sexualized language or imagery and unwelcome sexual attention or
+  advances
+* Trolling, insulting/derogatory comments, and personal or political attacks
+* Public or private harassment
+* Publishing others’ private information, such as a physical or electronic
+  address, without explicit permission
+* Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a
+  professional setting
+
+
+Our Responsibilities
+====================
+
+Maintainers are responsible for clarifying the standards of acceptable behavior
+and are expected to take appropriate and fair corrective action in response to
+any instances of unacceptable behavior.
+
+Maintainers have the right and responsibility to remove, edit, or reject
+comments, commits, code, wiki edits, issues, and other contributions that are
+not aligned to this Code of Conduct, or to ban temporarily or permanently any
+contributor for other behaviors that they deem inappropriate, threatening,
+offensive, or harmful.
+
+Scope
+=====
+
+This Code of Conduct applies both within project spaces and in public spaces
+when an individual is representing the project or its community. Examples of
+representing a project or community include using an official project e-mail
+address, posting via an official social media account, or acting as an appointed
+representative at an online or offline event. Representation of a project may be
+further defined and clarified by project maintainers.
+
+Enforcement
+===========
+
+Instances of abusive, harassing, or otherwise unacceptable behavior may be
+reported by contacting the Technical Advisory Board (TAB) at
+<tab@lists.linux-foundation.org>. All complaints will be reviewed and
+investigated and will result in a response that is deemed necessary and
+appropriate to the circumstances. The TAB is obligated to maintain
+confidentiality with regard to the reporter of an incident.  Further details of
+specific enforcement policies may be posted separately.
+
+Maintainers who do not follow or enforce the Code of Conduct in good faith may
+face temporary or permanent repercussions as determined by other members of the
+project’s leadership.
+
+Attribution
+===========
+
+This Code of Conduct is adapted from the Contributor Covenant, version 1.4,
+available at https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/1/4/code-of-conduct.html

So... this is the actual Code of Conduct and I'm not sure what all the fuss is about? This thing looks about as generic a CoC as you can create. They couldn't have made a more boring setup if they tried and there's nothing whatsoever that I can read as "controversial". It just says "don't be a dick to people" in legalese.

Maybe I'm just too easy going, though.

drunkenshoe

Let's say, you are well adjusted.

I haven't seen the thread before, but reading this and giving a reaction as if it's something bad going on requires anger. Anger towards what? Anything in general I guess. We all get triggered.

Or may be white males in certain cultres do not consider themselves included in any of the categories mentioned in the first paragraph? :p
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Yes, you are easy going, PLU.  The original fear being ... we have to have a programming team, regardless of ability that meets PC requirements.  Seems like the Soviet Union all over again, to me.  Of course a woman or a minority might be a very good programmer ... Indian men in particular.  Women not so much, because they don't hail from the autistic hacker culture.

We must Lysenko anything that isn't actual politics.  Either you can pass Cisco, Comptia etc or you can not.  And when are we going to have a quota for retarded folks ... if 1/3 are functionally illiterate (lower sigma) such that they are unemployable even by the government, then we must simply make 1/3 of all positions at all levels, open to them?

Drunkenshoe ... if it were recommendations, there is no problem.  Where it becomes Ontario law (see Jordan Peterson) or just HR dictatorship, then not so good.  Unfortunately these always turn into unrealistic quotas.  As it turned out, the Linux build folk, did nothing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Plu

QuoteThe original fear being ... we have to have a programming team, regardless of ability that meets PC requirements. 

Yeah, I understand what some people were afraid of. It's just that it seems based on nothing, given that the community is still going to judge the viability of all new commits regardless of who's sending them. The only thing that will change is that the responses should be free of BS that has no place in a software peer review anyway. Anyone in breach of this CoC in past comments was a dick back then, and is apparently bothered by the fact they can't be a dick to other people anymore. Being good at software is no excuse for being bad to your peers.

It seems like nothing bad could possibly come of this CoC, unless you are the kind of person who can't support a project if you're not allowed to harass other people, in which case... that seems totally fine with me. It doesn't matter how good you are, if you're poisoning the team and the community, you need to go. Any software engineer who has ever worked on a team knows this.

Halkenburg

I was really bummed out when I heard about this. I thought that Linus would be the last person on Earth to cave in to the SJW crowd. FreeBSD made a similar move and was burned badly by it. Let's hope that the same thing won't happen to Linux. My heart couldn't bear that after IBM bought Red Hat last year.

One thing to note is that the creator of this CoC has violated it themselves in the past and one of the first instances I've seen of it being applied was some SJW trying to get the maintainer of a software removed from his own project because of things he said about trans people on Twitter. I really don't like these recent developments.

Halkenburg

Quote from: Plu on January 27, 2019, 03:37:39 AM
Yeah, I understand what some people were afraid of. It's just that it seems based on nothing, given that the community is still going to judge the viability of all new commits regardless of who's sending them. The only thing that will change is that the responses should be free of BS that has no place in a software peer review anyway. Anyone in breach of this CoC in past comments was a dick back then, and is apparently bothered by the fact they can't be a dick to other people anymore. Being good at software is no excuse for being bad to your peers.

It seems like nothing bad could possibly come of this CoC, unless you are the kind of person who can't support a project if you're not allowed to harass other people, in which case... that seems totally fine with me. It doesn't matter how good you are, if you're poisoning the team and the community, you need to go. Any software engineer who has ever worked on a team knows this.

The problem, from what I can see, is that people try to get programmers kicked off of projects for saying things that aren't politically correct outside of the context of the project, e.g. on their website, Twitter, LinkedIn or Facebook page.

Baruch

Quote from: Halkenburg on January 27, 2019, 04:49:00 AM
I was really bummed out when I heard about this. I thought that Linus would be the last person on Earth to cave in to the SJW crowd. FreeBSD made a similar move and was burned badly by it. Let's hope that the same thing won't happen to Linux. My heart couldn't bear that after IBM bought Red Hat last year.

One thing to note is that the creator of this CoC has violated it themselves in the past and one of the first instances I've seen of it being applied was some SJW trying to get the maintainer of a software removed from his own project because of things he said about trans people on Twitter. I really don't like these recent developments.

All software development, not controlled directly or indirectly, by GCHQ, NSA etc can't be allowed.  There must be back doors, and not just to benefit Microsoft.  Microsoft avoided anti-trust by completely caving to the authoritarians years ago (hence their crappy software).  Back doors were originally just to benefit Microsoft, Apple etc ... but in fact Unix is a part of hacker culture and free software culture, something the computer majors and the governments hate.  TOR was I am told, originally designed to disguise the identities of online nation-backed hacking and other agent communications.  The Internet is for fighting WW III against Russia/China.  Of course the Chinese are localizing it into dystopian control.

The primary back doors aren't for breaking encryption, but for key logging just before encryption or just after decryption.  Anyone aware of intel will realize this.  And of course, as was revealed in breaches of security over the last 3 years, it is for doing stuff and making it look like the other guy did it.  That is more of a CIA/MI6 thing.

If people weren't assholes, we would die of constipation.

Once upon a time, I used a German browser, for this exact reason.  Just as today, if you have any bill, greater than $20 in your possession, you are assumed to be a drug dealer, so in the near future, anyone with a rogue Unix, will be presumed to be a hacker.  One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.  Same as suppressing pirate radio, or pirate parties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Party

True skepticism says, that all opposition groups are cat's paws for the Establishment anyway.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Halkenburg on January 27, 2019, 04:53:02 AM
The problem, from what I can see, is that people try to get programmers kicked off of projects for saying things that aren't politically correct outside of the context of the project, e.g. on their website, Twitter, LinkedIn or Facebook page.

Selective targeting of people who won't cooperate with the "authorities".  Better than a bullet into your Tesla, that catches fire and burns you to death, right?  SJW is a meme created by the police/intel.  Neurolinguistic programming ... its people.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Plu

Quote from: Halkenburg on January 27, 2019, 04:53:02 AM

Then those people should really read the CoC, since the CoC doesn't say anything about contexts outside of the project. Only if you're officially representing the project, are you bound by it.

Of course, easily offended people trying to shut up other people is nothing new, and also really dumb. Let people shout their racism and bigotry out into the world; makes it easier to see who is or is not worth dealing with.

Halkenburg

Quote from: Plu on January 27, 2019, 05:22:09 AM
Then those people should really read the CoC, since the CoC doesn't say anything about contexts outside of the project. Only if you're officially representing the project, are you bound by it.

Of course, easily offended people trying to shut up other people is nothing new, and also really dumb. Let people shout their racism and bigotry out into the world; makes it easier to see who is or is not worth dealing with.

I sure hope that it will be enforced that way going forward.

Baruch

Quote from: Halkenburg on January 27, 2019, 05:24:11 AM

I find politics to be obnoxious.  Less so than fisting.  So when shall I turn you all into the thought police?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Halkenburg

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2019, 05:46:49 AM
I find politics to be obnoxious.  Less so than fisting.  So when shall I turn you all into the thought police?

You'll never take me alive! ;-P

Baruch

Quote from: Halkenburg on January 27, 2019, 05:24:11 AM

Not the point.  You still think you live in a free society.  Never has been such a thing, but it is good propaganda for the proles.

Make everything illegal, but don't enforce it, except selectively.  That way you live in constant fear of the knock on the door at midnight.  Authoritarians are sadistic bastards.  !984 is a plan, not a warning.  So is V For Vengeance.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.