Main Menu

Historians examine Islam

Started by pr126, September 24, 2018, 11:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on September 27, 2018, 02:17:38 AM
Why, thank you.

Carry on.

I have to admit to using similar rhetoric.  Rather than naming names and condemning individuals I sometimes expand the list of shame to whole groups or to humanity in general.  Simply trying to avoid slander (except in the case of the Clintons).  But it probably comes across as prejudice.  Like ... how come you condemn all Nazis, when we should criticize individual behavior (not all Nazis).  So Cavebear condemns a whole swath of inanity ... rather than concentrate on just one (as you do).  But there is so much other inanity to condemn, like politics for example.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

pr126

No, I think Americans have a very narrow world view.
The number one enemy is Christianity (to “liberals”, atheist).
This is originates from decades long of Marxist/globalist indoctrination.

The ‘live and let live’ no longer applies when raw power is sought.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on September 27, 2018, 02:37:01 AM
No, I think Americans have a very narrow world view.
The number one enemy is Christianity (to “liberals”, atheist).
This is originates from decades long of Marxist/globalist indoctrination.

The ‘live and let live’ no longer applies when raw power is sought.

Yes, that is the scary part ... "... when raw power is sought ...".  When one or both sides seek that, it is game over.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on September 27, 2018, 02:17:38 AM
Why, thank you.

Carry on.

I've been here 2 years and you are just NOW catching on that I think all theisms are stupid?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Minimalist

Quote from: Cavebear on September 27, 2018, 01:41:33 AM
It is worth reminding people sometimes that all theisms are equally idiotic.  People who think their special nonsense is unique need a kick in the ass. 

Aye.

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Cavebear

Quote from: Minimalist on December 10, 2018, 11:02:31 PM

Aye.

Oh THAT is really really good!  I have GOT TO pay to watch Maher on HBO again...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Minimalist

The political situation in the Middle East in the 6th century was essentially constant warfare between the Byzantines and the Persians.  They bled each other white.  The Byzantines allied with an Arab xtian group called the Ghassanids, originally from Yemen but who migrated north to the area south of Damascus.  Somewhere along the way they became xtianized but it was a monophysite xtianity and like many other eastern groups found themselves being denounced as heretics when the dyophisites became dominant.  They were forced out of the Eastern Roman empire into the more marginal lands or, as in the case of the Nestorians, into Persia where they thrived.  But the Ghassanids didn't have to move as they were already there and eventually even the Byzantines decided that a heretic xtian was better than a stinking Persian!

So when the Byzantines and Persians had destroyed each other what remained standing, more or less intact, was a small, organized, heretical xtian state with a monophysite view of god which mimics islam's view.  Perhaps they were the basis for the early expansion out of Arabia?  After all, scholars have noted the similarities between the koran and various Syriac writings and one, Christoph Luxenbourg, has gone so far as to say that the koran makes far more sense if read in Syriac than it does in Arabic.  Once they began to expand into the territories which the Byzantines and Persians could no longer hold they may have felt the need to give themselves a "glorious history" just like all other religions.

In any case, it is not only historians who have begun to examine islam.  Archaeologists have made some interesting determinations, too.  I'll have to see if I can find them.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken