News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Black Superman..

Started by Munch, September 17, 2018, 10:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Blah blah henry cavill no longer superman (never liked him) ben affleck no longer batman (didn't like him either).

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/ben-affleck-and-henry-cavill-reportedly-out-as-batman-and-superman/news-story/4a5c73b0854d133cda41f4065c55da72

So moving on from that, so now theres two openings to fill the roles of batman and superman, there is not, while not solid, but a lot of speculation of them having Michael B Jordan playing the next superman.

https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/09/13/michael-b-jordan-superman-val-zod-bosslogic/

I mean, i'm not really surprised in this day and age, because appealing to social justice sensibilities in this day and age matters more then keeping the characters integrity, I guess Krypton will also have to be a race of african americans, despite never having been so before in any other iteration of the story of superman.

Why does this shit keep happening? If you made black panther into a white south african instead of black, or made storm from x-men white, or luke cage white, the banshee wails online would be earth shattering, but its okay to change someones race from 'the enemy skin color' since its more inline with todays social and political culture.

And no, this despite what some might think, isn't, amazingly, a racist rant, since i care a bit more about characterization done properly then appealing to screeching social media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZWMbhsvnTM

They pulled this bullshit with making the human torch black, and the movie tanked as one of the worst superhero movies of all time, not because of that, but really given how they made that choice its not surprise the rest of the movie bombed as well.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

pr126

Self-hating whites want to vacate the gene pool?

BBC recruiting policy: White  males need not apply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh9jjW05h08

Mike Cl

All the news that isn't the news......................who cares??????  I could care less if superman were Asian, American Indian, not American Indian, Samoan, Neanderthal, a pixie or Peter Jennings.  Who--the---fuck--cares????!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

I've heard about this too. Right now, these are just rumors. I don't know how much credibility these rumors have. Honestly, though, I don't really care. The DCU was a failure from the start. The actors playing Superman and Batman leaving their roles is just another nail in the coffin.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

This is why when I die, I want to be made into ashes and said ashes blown off the cliffs of cornwall, since I don't even want my ashes left in the uk after I'm gone. Heritage means nothing to these people of today, and if white is considered so evil now it needs to be stamped out, well I'd welcome the sea.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 17, 2018, 11:39:56 AM
All the news that isn't the news......................who cares??????  I could care less if superman were Asian, American Indian, not American Indian, Samoan, Neanderthal, a pixie or Peter Jennings.  Who--the---fuck--cares????!!
Same.  But Killmonger as Superman???!  Bizarre casting choice!  (IF he's chosen, all we know right now is that he's been considered for the role)

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on September 17, 2018, 11:46:27 AMHeritage means nothing to these people of today, and if white is considered so evil now it needs to be stamped out
That's a hell of a take-away from a character almost universally portrayed as white *possibly* being played by a black actor.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on September 17, 2018, 11:46:27 AM
This is why when I die, I want to be made into ashes and said ashes blown off the cliffs of cornwall, since I don't even want my ashes left in the uk after I'm gone. Heritage means nothing to these people of today, and if white is considered so evil now it needs to be stamped out, well I'd welcome the sea.

Aren't you being a bit overdramatic? We don't even know if these rumors are true. When they replace Ezra Miller with an Asian man for the Flash, give the role of Batman to a Latino man, and replace Gal Gadot with a trans black woman, then we can say the SJWs have taken over.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on September 17, 2018, 11:46:27 AM

Aquaman doesn't want your cremains in his ocean, bro!  Besides, dude ... you look Green to me, not White ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 17, 2018, 11:55:21 AM
Aren't you being a bit overdramatic? We don't even know if these rumors are true. When they replace Ezra Miller with an Asian man for the Flash, give the role of Batman to a Latino man, and replace Gal Gadot with a trans black woman, then we can say the SJWs have taken over.

First they came for The Tick, but I wasn't a Tick fan ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 17, 2018, 11:49:08 AM
Same.  But Killmonger as Superman???!  Bizarre casting choice!  (IF he's chosen, all we know right now is that he's been considered for the role)

Did you protest the young man chosen for Last Airbender?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GrinningYMIR

DC’s universe is blowing up anyway, the only really successful one as of late is WW, so they’ll try anything they can to pump juice into it, and if making Superman Black gets more tickets sold then they can claim to be pro diversity while making a profit. All they care about after the disaster that was JL
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Unbeliever

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 17, 2018, 11:39:56 AM
Hey, if James West can be black, why not superheroes? I see no problem, so, like you, I couldn't care less.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on September 17, 2018, 01:17:16 PM
DC’s universe is blowing up anyway, the only really successful one as of late is WW, so they’ll try anything they can to pump juice into it, and if making Superman Black gets more tickets sold then they can claim to be pro diversity while making a profit. All they care about after the disaster that was JL

which is exactly why the movies they made tanked and why marvel movies are still box office gold. Marvel is sticking to keeping the characters people have loved for years as close to the comic books as possible, while still having decent writing, actors and effects. They out thought into every detail, whole dc was only concerned with outdoing marvel.

If they need to result to trying to appeal to minorities and social groups in order to get bums in seats rather then trying to actually write a good script, get good actors that fit the roles, and giving the genuine fans what they want, then of course its going to crash and burn.

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 17, 2018, 01:19:39 PM
Hey, if James West can be black, why not superheroes? I see no problem, so, like you, I couldn't care less.
Uggh, I really don't want to open up this can of worms, but here goes.  There's basically three perspectives on this:

1) Sticklers for authentic adaption:  these people want the adaption (movie) to be as true to the source material (comics) as possible.  There's some wiggle room of course - no one was unhappy that the Vulture got a face lift and there's a mixed reaction to Nick Fury (imo he captured the character's no-nonsense attitude and badassery better than almost any alternative).  Stan Lee is arguably in this camp since he insisted the Peter Parker be white and straight, like he is in the comics.

These are the sorts of people who insist that period pieces have a cast that most accurately reflects the racial populations of the time.  You wouldn't expect a film set in feudal Japan to have a cast that isn't Japanese, would you?

2) SJWs: simply want more 'diversity' in comics movies.  Full stop.  Little, if any, regard for anything else.  These are the sort of people who said that Solo bombed because the lead was a white male. *cringe*

3) Moderates:  these people want to balance authenticity with a recognition that the source material was written with a paltry number of non-white characters and few female leads (this has changed over the decades, but the big box office draws were initially focused on DC's/Marvel's oldest characters, and largely still are).  So what do you say to non-white actors who want in on superhero movies?  "Sorry, you're not white enough."  That's kinda screwed up.

These people are most likely to allow a lot of leeway in terms of casting without going full SJW.